Home Forums General Discussion Hives

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rose
    Participant

Out of the blue yesterday, I started to have hives on my upper and lower lip,  and now also this morning I have a fat lip. Used to have hives in my early and late teens but until now no problem.   Have not  taken anything or eaten anything different.  I'm worried that it is my Minocin which I have taken for four years.  What do you think?  Could it be a Herx? I hope.     Rose

Dena
    Participant

Hi Rose,

I had hives before I had arthritis. Here is what I learned. 

An outbreak follows a period of great stress.  In my case, the outbreak came three weeks after I won a lawsuit against the most obnoxious lawyer in the neighboring county (I was the opposing lawyer).  Interestingly, I was relaxing, but I guess my body was teaching me a lesson (after that I always inquired who opposing counsel was before I would take on the defense of a civil labor case in that county).

The treatment was a step-down pack of cortisone/prednesone.

My doctor advised that when I start to feel itchy in the future, to get ahead of it by taking an antihistamine.  I have done that and have not had an episode since then.

Hope this helps. 

A Friend
    Participant

Rose,

Years ago, before chronic illness, I would occasionally get light pink hives over the area above my waist… no explanation for this.  They would come and go. 

After starting AP (IVs and Minocin), I did not have hives.  However, the only time I ever used the peroxide and epsom salts bath, I broke out in gosh-awful hives all over my upper torso. 

Another time, my then-AP physician suggested I try the Mannatech Ambrotose, as his neice with Lupus had much help from it.  I started it, and very soon, hives broke out all over my body.

Looking back at these two experiences, as a lay person I would say that “something” (I now believe it is acidic wastes of some kind from my cells were exiting through my skin) being excreted through my skin was irritating to it. 

I just did a search on “Hives+holistic medicine” and came up with what I think is a good link (which has several other short and good links within it):

http://www.peacehealth.org/kbase/cam/hn-1032004.htm

Best to you,

AF

Rose
    Participant

Thank You both for answering, my hives are under my upper lip sort of a welt, and now am wondering if it is a reaction to the Diflican I just took last week, which I do every month for Yeast, I see that Candida can cause hives, so that was interesting in the website you sent, AF. I really must be more careful with sugar, do try but slip back  too often.

My main concern is that the Minocin I take is new, in the sense that it was a month and half ago I had to get them from Canada, because insurance co. forced me to use the generic.  So naturally I am wondering if there is anything in it that I'm allergic to.  I guess time will tell.  But thank you all very much, this is such a great site..  Rose

linda
    Participant

Hives can be caused by so many things. About 5 yrs ago my son and I both had a really nasty stomach virus. We both also got hives as well, his were so bad that he was covered from head to toe; I took him to the ER and they gave him a shot of benadryl. The doctor told us that some infections are accompanied by hives- I'd never heard that. We continued to have hives off and on for over 2 yrs, always a little milder than the time before, but no more stomach symptoms. Crazy, crazy, crazy. Anyway, I understand your suspicion of the new abx, but it could be something else mentioned by those who have replied, or something none of us could think of.

I have a friend who got a weird rash out of the blue. When it wouldn't go away she went to the docs; she was all excited when she got back and told me she had idiopathic dermatitis, and wanted to know if I knew what that was. I told it meant she had a rash and the doctor didn't know why!:doh: Those wacky docs!

linda

Rose
    Participant

Thank you everybody, things are better this morning almost gone.  I found a bottle of Vitamin E , the liquid kind you rub on. And applied it several times yesterday and “sure enough” it worked.  I must remember to use it more often on other areas when needed.  Since I'm taking the Minocin MWF I took one this morning so if the hives on my lip come back then I will get suspicious that it is caused by the Minocin.   Rose

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘ Hives’ is closed to new replies.