Home Forums General Discussion Help with itching

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Calida
    Participant

Like many with autoimmune disease affecting the skin, I have a large drawer filled with prescription creams and lotions – almost all steroid based – that failed to soothe itchy skin.

My derm uses a new spray called Alevicyn Dermal Spray and he prescribed it for me at my last visit. He said it’s basically a weak chlorine and water solution, similar to something homemade his grandmother used 40 or 50 years ago to soothe the itchy skin of her family members. For those of us with SD who try to avoid steroids in all forms, it is a godsend that can be used without restriction. The doc said it can be used on infants and the elderly without fear of side effects or overdosing.

I was surprised to find it effective and the large bottle lasts for weeks even though I use it every day, sometimes several times a day. The doctor was surprised to find that the insurance plans of some patients would cover expensive steroid based products but not this safe, inexpensive spray. Crazy medical world.

Dx: Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis/SLE overlap, Raynaud's June 2013, Lyme August 2013
    AP: Azithromycin (Teva) 250mg BID, May 2014, Clindamycin 600mg every 8 hours for 2 weeks July 27, 2015 - Aug 10, 2015
    Minocycline (Teva generic) 100mg BID November 20, 2014
    Meds: LDN 3.5 mg, Prednisone 5 mg (discontinued), Aspirin 81mg, Liposomal Artimisinin 50mg QID x 3 weeks, 4th week off, rotating (discontinued May 2015, restarted 2016 7 days per month), Daily Nystatin, 2 tabs BID, as a preventative measure
    Supplements

richie
    Participant

Hi My doctor up at Harvard always felt that itching is a good sign –his unproven theory was that it is the skin healing internally !!–Glad you found a product that helps –itching was a big nuisance with me for about one year –I did find an OTC product called Sarna which helped a bit –
    richie

Calida
    Participant

@richie wrote:

Hi My doctor up at Harvard always felt that itching is a good sign –his unproven theory was that it is the skin healing internally !!–Glad you found a product that helps –itching was a big nuisance with me for about one year –I did find an OTC product called Sarna which helped a bit –
    richie

Thank you, Richie, your words and experience are very comforting.

Dx: Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis/SLE overlap, Raynaud's June 2013, Lyme August 2013
    AP: Azithromycin (Teva) 250mg BID, May 2014, Clindamycin 600mg every 8 hours for 2 weeks July 27, 2015 - Aug 10, 2015
    Minocycline (Teva generic) 100mg BID November 20, 2014
    Meds: LDN 3.5 mg, Prednisone 5 mg (discontinued), Aspirin 81mg, Liposomal Artimisinin 50mg QID x 3 weeks, 4th week off, rotating (discontinued May 2015, restarted 2016 7 days per month), Daily Nystatin, 2 tabs BID, as a preventative measure
    Supplements

Randy
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

Yes, I am going through this big time (thighs, lower back, R forearm, abdomen). I also have intense burning, stabbing, pins and needles, and tearing pains where ther is SD thick skin. According to the S expert at Mayo AZ, itching or burning or both are peripheral neuropathy complications of SD. An earlier poster describes how it feels, “having a bad sunburn and wrapping it in fiberglass insulation.”

Such are the joys of a relapse of diffuse SD for me. I’ll take these any day and all day long (got it!) versus any internal issues. Thankfully Lyrica (100mg three times a day) keeps me functional and allows me to fall asleep at bedtime. I will try the saran and look into any OTC Alevicyn Dermal spray.

Yes, I agree with Richie that the itching is part of the healing process. For me, next comes the drying up of the SD bumps and when they are scratched off. Additionally, hair begins to start pushing through the pores again – that is wonderful “unequivocal” evidence (per Dr. F.) that the AP is working and you are beating the SD. This is going on for me now, so I am very encouraged.

Randy

Diffuse SD since Apr '07
    AP since Feb '08
    100mg Mino twice daily
    Stopped Clindamycin IVs Aug 2019
    "No one should profit over someone else's illness"

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Randy
    Nice to see you! Though sorry you are having these problems.

You may already know this, but the Lemon Olive Oil drink that many people have found useful for detox was also found to be really good for peripheral neuropathy. May be worth a read of the original article from the Keep Hope Alive site. My understanding is that it’s the Lecithin that’s important to add for the neuropathy.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Linda L
    Participant

Can people with RA have peripheral neuropathy as well?
    Linda L.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.