Home Forums General Discussion Heart palpitations since AP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    redrock
    Participant

I've been on minocin since August 3 and I have noticed that I have heart palpitations particularly while lying down. It is especially bad if I try to sleep on my left side and cannot do that under any circumstances. I've never had this problem before, I do have mitral valve prolapse with a bit of regurgitation but it has always been asymptomatic. My thyroid is also stable so it can't be that. The only thing that has changed is that I am now on AP. Could this be causing the heart palps? I really don't think I can handle a heart problem on top of everything else.

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=2547]redrock[/user] wrote:

I've been on minocin since August 3 and I have noticed that I have heart palpitations particularly while lying down. It is especially bad if I try to sleep on my left side and cannot do that under any circumstances. I've never had this problem before, I do have mitral valve prolapse with a bit of regurgitation but it has always been asymptomatic. My thyroid is also stable so it can't be that. The only thing that has changed is that I am now on AP. Could this be causing the heart palps? I really don't think I can handle a heart problem on top of everything else.

Hi Redrock,

Noticed in your sig line that you have a thyroid condition and that you're also on LDN? From what I understand, LDN can improve thyroid functioning and this would mean that regular thyroid monitoring would be necessary to ensure the correct dosage of thyroid meds is being taken…too much might cause a hyperfunctioning thyroid and palps could be the result.

Yup, MVP can cause palps, but so can sclero, if PHT is a problem, for instance.

My best fellow patient suggestion is to get your palps checked out by your doc as a priority. Lots of things can cause them, including hormonal changes during “the change.” Then, if nothing is found by your doc, you can probably put it down to something like herxing….those darn bugs get everywhere.

Maybe others here will have futher suggestions for you, but anything to do with heart function should always be checked just to be on the safe side.

Peace, Maz

PS Do you take calcium on its own, Redrock? Usually, calcium is prescribed in a 2:1 ratio with magnesium, as the two are synergistic. Calcium causes muscles to contrict and magnesium causes muscles to relax. A Friend has posted much on the topic of magnesium and its benefits that you might like to search out using the search box above.

redrock
    Participant

[user=27]Maz[/user] wrote:

Hi Redrock,

Noticed in your sig line that you have a thyroid condition and that you're also on LDN? From what I understand, LDN can improve thyroid functioning and this would mean that regular thyroid monitoring would be necessary to ensure the correct dosage of thyroid meds is being taken…too much might cause a hyperfunctioning thyroid and palps could be the result.

My best fellow patient suggestion is to get your palps checked out by your doc as a priority. Lots of things can cause them, including hormonal changes during “the change.” Then, if nothing is found by your doc, you can probably put it down to something like herxing….those darn bugs get everywhere.

Maybe others here will have futher suggestions for you, but anything to do with heart function should always be checked just to be on the safe side.

Peace, Maz

PS Do you take calcium on its own, Redrock? Usually, calcium is prescribed in a 2:1 ratio with magnesium, as the two are synergistic. Calcium causes muscles to contrict and magnesium causes muscles to relax. A Friend has posted much on the topic of magnesium and its benefits that you might like to search out using the search box above.

Thanks, Maz, I just saw my cardiologist a few weeks ago before starting AP and everything was fine, then I start the mino and things are acting up, go figure. Yep I am aware about the LDN thyroid connection and in face I recently reduced  my thyroid meds. It's all a mystery. I do take a calcium supplement and I am reading up on magnesium.

mschmidt
    Participant

I had terrible heart palps and pvc's for a few months prior to starting AP, and they turned out to be caused by 2 things:  1)  GERD  2)  Lyme Disease.   I didn't experience the typical swollowing difficulties or heartburn initially but, as the acid was regurgitated up my esophagus, it caused heart palps–ESPECIALLY when lying down.  (that was the worst)  When I started my Lyme protocol, within 1 week, my remaining heart palps, skipped beats, etc. completely stopped, and have never returned.  MVP certainly can stand alone but, it's also very common with people who have Lyme Disease so, perhaps at some point, you may want to get tested for that?

I agree with Maz–the LDN can help your thyroid function thus, the need to closely monitor your labs so your doctor can adjust your meds for you if need be.

Of course, going to see a doctor and getting an ekg or echocardiogram (or both) is also something I would do just to make sure nothing else is going on.

Maria

redrock
    Participant

[user=977]mschmidt[/user] wrote:

I had terrible heart palps and pvc's for a few months prior to starting AP, and they turned out to be caused by 2 things:  1)  GERD  2)  Lyme Disease.   I didn't experience the typical swollowing difficulties or heartburn initially but, as the acid was regurgitated up my esophagus, it caused heart palps–ESPECIALLY when lying down.  (that was the worst)  When I started my Lyme protocol, within 1 week, my remaining heart palps, skipped beats, etc. completely stopped, and have never returned.  MVP certainly can stand alone but, it's also very common with people who have Lyme Disease so, perhaps at some point, you may want to get tested for that?

I agree with Maz–the LDN can help your thyroid function thus, the need to closely monitor your labs so your doctor can adjust your meds for you if need be.

Of course, going to see a doctor and getting an ekg or echocardiogram (or both) is also something I would do just to make sure nothing else is going on.

Maria

Yep I am waiting to get tested for Lyme, my current lab is refusing to draw blood for the Igenex test, I am waiting to hear back from them. I just had an echo at the end of June, it revealed increased pulmonary hypertension but nothing else significant. I have had heart palps on and off over the years but nothing so extreme as the last few weeks since being on AP, so it's a bit disconcerting. I went running today and had to stop about a mile and a half into it due to the palps, I was afraid I was going to keel over. Of course the obsessive side of me took over and I started up again and added an extra mile to make up for having stopped in the middle. I am determined to get well and beat this, whatever it is 🙂

A Friend
    Participant

[user=27]Maz[/user] wrote:

Hi Redrock,

Peace, Maz

Hi Redrock, Maz, All,

I am finding more and more recommendations these days (especially when we have a chronic illness) to take equal amounts of calcium and magnesium, especially if one consumes calcium foods daily and takes calcium supplements.  Calcium and magnesium work in tandem; and too much calcium in the ratio can use up our magnesium.  Redrock, I'm thinking that in your case, you may be magnesium deficient already, and minocycline  (tetracyclines and medications in general) are acidic and can create a need for more magnesium, as  more is needed to neutralize the acidic waste created so it can be neutralized and be safely excreted from the body.  A deficiency of magnesium can also cause palpitations, and other things. 

I have had MVP for years but never knew it until after an automobile accident years ago.  Haven't had problems with it since that tiime, but did begin having some bi-lateral arm pain a year or so ago that resembled angina symptoms, per my PCP.  He had me see a cardiologist, who had me do a full workup because he said I had angina symptoms and we had to rule this in or out.  Turned out I did not have angina, but a special test was requested from a lab that showed my ATP was half of what is expected — ATP is related to heart energy we have.  The cardiologist had me increase the CoQ10 I was taking to 200 mg daily.  (I also take liquid MagChlor90 once daily which has greatly helped the acidosis condition I found I had that had been causing me many problems for years, but just didn't realize it.) Since increasing the CoQ10 and making sure my pH stays in a healthy range, I have had no further symptoms of the problems. 

Best,
    AF

redrock
    Participant

That's interesting about the magnesium, I just checked my vitamin list and it looks like the only magnesium I get is 23 mg from my protein powder and I don't think I get enough in the foods I eat so I will look at a combined calcium/magnesium supplement next time I go to the vitamin store.

A Friend
    Participant

That's interesting about the magnesium, I just checked my vitamin list and it looks like the only magnesium I get is 23 mg from my protein powder and I don't think I get enough in the foods I eat so I will look at a combined calcium/magnesium supplement next time I go to the vitamin store.

Redrock, I strongly encourage you FIRST to do a search above for posts on magnesium deficiency… and to read (even print) the following information.  Also, the actually missing link to my even suspecting the actual cause of my downhill slide was I was so highly acidic (and didn't know it)… in spite of thinking my diet was excellent and I was taking good supplements.  Sometimes more drastic measures are needed.  Because of worsening symptoms over several years no matter what, it was a crisis situation for me and I HAD to find the answers.  The key to this enlightening for me was a local acquaintance, an N.D., suggesting I test my pH with the little inexpensive test strips.  This showed I was as acidic as the strips could even measure.  That was the beginning of adding to the positive effects of AP and the pain going away, and even the damage done to my bones, only visible on radiology, has been improving since 2007. 

Pasted from files: 

http://www.jigsawhealth.com/articles/vitamin_deficiency.html

Thought this paper — found while doing a search using search words:  “Vitamin A, Magnesium, and Inflammation” — was an unusually good one, and would further our understanding.

(I had previously found some pretty technical abstracts on the relationship between inflammation and a deficiency of Vitamin A and of Magnesium… and was looking for simpler-written information when I found the link/paper below. Also, found an interesting tidbit in a link saying National Institutes of Health found that 2 out of 3 people are deficient in magnesium).

[copied/pasted from the link in red below]

Magnesium and Calcium ? Few Americans ingest enough magnesium, a problem that, oddly enough, is complicated by public awareness of the need for calcium. Consuming too much calcium causes the body to excrete magnesium, reducing this important mineral to dangerously low levels, and making supplementation of magnesium a necessity. In fact, the National Institutes of Health found that 2 out of 3 people are deficient in magnesium.

Another: 

http://www.naturalnews.com/z023279_magnesium_cancer_calcium.html

It is medical wisdom that tells us that magnesium is actually the key to the body's proper assimilation and use of calcium, as well as other important nutrients. If we consume too much calcium, without sufficient magnesium, the excess calcium is not utilized correctly and may actually become toxic, causing painful conditions in the body. Hypocalcemia is a prominent manifestation of magnesium deficiency in humans (Rude et al., 1976). Even mild degrees of magnesium depletion significantly decreases the serum calcium concentration (Fatemi et al., 1991).

Another:

I found the following link (one of the first I found on this subject) which I literally poured over for several days while out of town.  It was ironic this link showed up in my search, for I knew the doctor/author well, and about her extraordinary work with seriously ill patients.  The paper just showed up when I did a search. 

You might find it useful, as it discusses quite a number of conditions that have as their origin a “disguised” magnesium deficiency — since the blood serum magnesium tests have been shown to be unreliable and inaccurate. 

http://www.pbraunmd.org/magnesiu.htm  — I also highly recommend you not only read the whole paper, but you might want to print 11 pages of it.  [It has keys to many different problems.] She has included citations and text under the various headings. 

Amazing to me about the above paper is that I had been learning about this broad subject (over the past year or more) bit by bit and trying to figure out how this information applies to my own resistant/puzzling health history.  I had come to the conclusion — even before I found this article — that oral administration of magnesium for me for replacing depleted minerals, apparently was not as effective for me as I'd hoped in raising my pH as high as it needed to be.  Dr. B's paper has put many more things in perspective and given me a bigger picture, with what seems like more effective options. 

Some of the referenced material and protocols in this paper include information from  a book I already have by one of the referenced authors, Dr. Sherry Rogers, who has five medical degrees and has written many books.   

AF

Eva Holloway
    Participant

Hello all,

I had some blood work done two weeks ago and found out I am magnesium deficient, so I was put on Magnesium Calm, just started on Saturday. I hope it will help. Also my red blood count is low, but the doctor thinks this is because of the surgery I had and the medication I took. She wants to see me sometimes this week, so I will make an appointment to see her again.

Eva:D

Eva Holloway

Karen R
    Participant

Hi Maria,

Can you tell me exactly what antibiotics you are currently taking?

All the best,

Karen R

mschmidt
    Participant

Karen,

I'm on Minocin, Biaxin and Omnicef. The dosages are listed under my sig line, as well as the supplements I'm on.

Maria

vinny
    Participant

What level of MSM are you taking? A high level of MSM is one of the things that caused my heart palps.

vinny

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

redrock
    Participant

I'll have to check the bottle, but I've been taking it for years so I'd be suprised if that is the culprit. I'm actually thinking of disciontinuing it though, because I was allergic to sulfa as a child, maybe I shouldn't be taking it.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

There is a big difference betrween sulfur – which is essentialfor life in all iving things – and sulfer compounds, which can be toxic. Lynnie http://www.lenntech.com/periodic/elements/s.htm  

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

redrock
    Participant

But the question is whether a person allergic to sulfA can take something with sulfur in it, which MSM has.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack my own thread, LOL.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘ Heart palpitations since AP’ is closed to new replies.