Home Forums General Discussion Healthy Eating

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    lynnie_sydney
    Participant

P.S.  You can cut down on alot of salicylates by not eating processed food with additives and changing shampoos and personal care products (as well as cleaners) to non-perfumed/coloured – alot of salicylates go through the skin. 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Manda
    Participant

We're on the same diet that Lynnie is on, and have been for a year and a half now. It turned out that I cant have any dairy, and my husband can't have any glutens. Between us, yeah, it was “the lot” :roll-laugh:

Thanks to the info about salicylates, I think I understand why I was getting a rash on my head after a shower sometimes. Plus, a few days ago we were in the supermarket and we reacted to a strong smell in the cleaning isle. A spot on my forehead became sore then too! Salicylates?! “>

Jennhere
    Participant

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/magazine/28nutritionism.t.html?_r=1&ex=1187928000&en=49a635d071d51f86&ei=5070&oref=slogin

Guys- make yourself a cup of tea and read this article.  It's a long one. 

It's so enlightening and so simple.  I was all over this path before reading this article, but this made my path very clear.  It really changed my life… an article about food! 

I would love to know your reactions to the article.   

Jenn

Manda
    Participant

I love the article. I guess my ansestors didn't evolve around cows then.. :roll-laugh: Simple and realistic, with a touch of conspiricy theory too. Love it. 😀

It really makes me want to grow my own veggies and have a variety of species. I heard about a place where I use to live in Victoria that had some “old” varieties of fruits and vegetable seeds, ones that are not used commercially for a variety of reasons, and have almost disappeared out of existance. They only found them after they discovered an old overgrown vegetable garden from settlement days.

Thanks for the great read! 🙂

Tiff
    Participant

Hi Jenn,

I'm popping in here.  Hope that is okay.  This article is sure has a lot of common sense.  It makes the idea of eating healthy a lot more simple.  There is little doubt in my mind that following this plan would do everyone a lot of good, and it doesn't seem that hard to do.  I could easily do it, but my family is the problem.  They are a stubborn lot. :headbang:

I do have a couple of thoughts though from some other things I have read.  The part about eating what your great-great-grandmother would recognize is easier said than done if you take it literally (which is not the way I think it was quite meant).  There would be the obvious things – produce mostly.  But in all honesty, I think we have lots of produce available to us that our great-great-grandmother would not recognize.  That could be good, but I have read that some cross-over of foods from one ethnic group to another are not always good.  Consider the fact that the Asian population is supposed to have a larger pancrease than those in the west.  It affects the foods they can digest compared to other cultures.  Interesting.  It is applicable when you consider someone whose biology is rooted in the west eating lots of raw soy products.  That might not be healthy.  Just an example, and one that you do see some data to support.

And I suspect there are quite a few foods that our great-great grandmother ate that we would not only not recognize, but we could not find in the store, and we might run screaming from if we did find it.:sick:  One of the largest differences between what our ancestors ate and what we eat was the processing involved.  They processed food too, but very differently than we do.

I've mentioned this book before, Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon.  It elaborates on the ethnic diet this article mentions.  It is a cookbook, so it is really large, but it has some incredible nutritional information in it that takes the ideas in this article and expands upon them hugely.  I have learned a lot from this book, but it is not as easy or simple to put into practice as just eating less and having more veggies.  What it does offer is far more variety and possibly some synergistic components.  But I hope you like being in the kitchen.  Man oh man, it does take more work… planning, timing, etc.  But that is how our ancestors lived.  Life revolved around food in strange ways it doesn't now.  And yet they were somehow less obsessed with food.  Ironic, isn't it?

All these ideas make Susans comment hard “how to feed hungry kids in 20 minutes of getting home.”  That is my weakness.  When I need to eat, I need to eat NOW, and so do my kids (we have cranking metabolisms), and a handful of nuts will not cut it.  😕  I think it can be done, but I am not sure how.  I would love to hear more of everyone's ideas on how to manage.  I also need to make it managable for my family to do as sometimes they have to do it all when I am just not able, which has been a lot lately! :doh:

John McDonald
    Participant

Over the years I have had to stop eating one food after another and I hate it. At age 15 I had to give up lactose, all that great pizza, milk, cheeseburgers and such good stuff. Melons give me a sore throat. I discovered that ascorbic acid gives me mouth sores like herpes sores, so no more tall glasses of delicious orange juice and no common vitamin C pills though I can have ascorbate if I want (esther C). Then in my forties I found that any foods rich in fat gave me marriage wrecking gas, and by that I mean that most manly of foods, beef steak. When I got RA I became constipated so I had to find fiber rich foods and I even supplemented with a bit of psylium fiber every day. Then I discovered AP and MP so I gave up D rich foods and sugar, uh, mostly. For several years my diet seemed to consist of cardboard or foods that are about that much fun. I sure wasn't eager to go looking for more foods to give up. I am happy to say that after 16 months of AP and then 6 months of MP I regained a lot of gut function and I can eat steak and stuff again. I'm still lactose intolerant but it is much better now. I can have tiny lactose accidents without rioting family members. I don't need probiotics anymore and haven't taken any for well over a year now, maybe 2 years. I don't need psylium, I am a regular guy now. As I hear it told, the gut is rich with macrophages and they and the gut are prime tissues for the microbes. Most of us with rheumatic diseases, CFS or Chrons (sp?) have compromised guts. I am here to say that with diligence and antibiotics it gets better.

Now let's grill a manly steak on the barby.

Jennhere
    Participant

Tiff, I saw a book type of show where Michael Pollan was addressing a crowd about his newest book.  He talked about the ancestry/ethnic kind of eating.  He was quick to point out that different ethnic groups can tolerate different foods.  That across the globe you find groups eating bizzare and seemingly unhealthy foods (but they're REAL food) with no negative health consequences.  (stuff like blood and blubber)… Anyway, it's similar to what you were saying.  These groups are adapted to the diet of their region- like the way skin color adapts and other characteristics.

I've been following his advice to “eat food” since I read that article.  It's been the single most easy piece of advice I've ever gotten in regards to nutrition.  It's great to feel free from all the confusion. 

It's really not so bad.  I don't love to cook at all.  I'd say I despise cooking, actually.:shock: I don't use canned foods anymore.. that wasn't easy..  I don't do dairy,  gluten, soy…  nothing hydrolyzed, autolyzed or with msg..(which includes a dirty laundry list of words not recognized as “msg”.)  Actually, implementing Michael Pollan's “eat food… ” was EZ compared to all the other stuff I changed!:P But I didn't do it all overnight.   It took a couple of years.  I had moments when I'd cheat.  But I worked it out. I never beat myself up over it.  I figured it was going to be a long process … and it was!  Now, all I'm doing is eating food- and some people I know think that's weird!:roll-laugh:

Hey, John.. One of the signs of Celiac disease is Lactose intolerance.  It's due to the atrophy of the tips of the villi. The tip of the villi is where lactase enzymes are put out to digest the lactose.  Without them… No digesting the lactose. (they grow back if you're gluten free for awhile.)  A test for Celiac disease is pretty easy….:)

John McDonald
    Participant

One of the signs of Celiac disease is Lactose intolerance.  It's due to the atrophy of the tips of the villi. 

Hah! If so then that was one of my first Th1 symptoms. My lactose intolerance showed up in early high school, pretty typical age for it. The standard explanation is that humans and other mammals don't eat milk after weaning so evolution wouldn't select for adolescent or later lactose tolerance. Unless of course your society was big on dairy milk. At the time I was extremely healthy, other than lactose intolerance. I became much less tolerant in my thirties and forties. One doc described me as a walking bioassay for lactose, parts per million. TM says that it is because my gut was slowly becoming paralized by Th1 infection, a process that became much more rapid when my RA hit full force. Since AP and MP all my food intolerances are rolling back. I suspect that celiac disease is no different than any of these other Th1 diseases. I think celiac, like RA, is a symptom of Th1 infection by bacteria, not a cause in itself. If my residual lactose intolerance is diagnosible as Celiac then I expect it to go away completely as I finish the MP. If it is genetic per the first explanation then some lactose intolerance will stay with me. Time and labor will tell. I can promise that I am still having gut herxing, though not nearly so much as my first 2 years on the MP. But I am still killing microbes in my gut on certain days at some abx combinations and it is somewhat predictable. So I still have some ground to gain with my digestion.

john

Tiff
    Participant

Thank goodness.  I have finally found the complete answer to all of our food selection problems.  I might have known it would take a physicist… or a mathematician or something or other… to figure it out.  I found this while menu planning on the web.  I think it is serious (DOD it looks), but it made me think of John and this thread, and it made me ROTFL!  But then it just could be my mood.

http://stinet.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=AD0768198

But seriously, the hardest thing for me with changing my diet is that I have NO motivation.  I don't need to lose weight, and I don't have dietary “symptoms” that I am aware of.  I have a cast iron stomach.  LOVE hot foods, although not nearly as much as my brother.  Never have heartburn.  The only irregularity I get is clearly from obvious causes, say traveling or most recently vicodin (ugh!), but it clears easily with herbal tea and some dried fruit or extra fruit in my smoothies.  I don't eat poorly by the vast majority of folk's standards.  I never could stand soda, for example.  Have to have lots of veggies just because I like them and crave them when I don't.  I have dropped both gluten and diary with absolutely no noticable reasons for me to keep it up, and since I was negative for Celiac by both blood tests and biopsy – that is unmotivating.  I know they can be wrong, which is why I tried it anyway.  It has to make you feel better somehow to be worth doing, IMO, then it would be easier.

I am looking for some type of huge gut Herx when I do MP to prove to me that I have been too immunosuppressed to feel gut problems.  But I suspect my infection pathway is just different, and that eventually I would get worse.  I want to make changes anyway, but not unnecessary ones.  I can't afford to eliminate foods unless I have a good reason.  So I am focusing on cutting out processed foods, MSG etc… and (of course) vitamin D.   I'm really curious as to what those food allergy tests will say.  PLEASE not jalapenos!!!  But I agree with you, John, heal in general, and those will get better, too.  No sense taxing yourself in the process, so cut out things you know to be a problem, right?  But, still, our food supply has other problems that scare me, and I would love to clean up my diet and eat more simply.  Getting my family on board in another problem. 

John McDonald
    Participant

Non linear food dispensing? Cool! Sounds delicious and I resemble that!:cool:

Dena
    Participant

Hi, thought I would jump in here with a recipe.  Satisfying my palate is a big part of being satis fied with what I eat.  I make a basil, pesto mayonnaise:

handful of fresh basil leaves (I grow my own in abundance in St. Thomas)

add half a cup of grated parmesan

add one garlic clove

blend–then add mayonnaise, testing as you go, until it is light green –keeps for weeks, unless you consume it all before then.

This is WONDERFUL with poached salmon and a terrific spread for just about any sandwich.

Jennhere
    Participant

Dena, that sounds great.  I love pestos.   I posted this tuna burger recipe above, but I'm posting it again because it's also a quick link to RR's site.  She has so many varieties of pestos.  You may find it useful.  There's one with tarragon, basil and toasted pine nuts- yum..:P  I love pine nuts.  If you google her site for pestos or basil pesto… something like that, you come up with lots of great twists on fresh pestos.  Some of them that I've made, I used the leftovers for salad dressing.  There was one with lots of cilantro- There was too much left over.  So, that's what I used it for the next day.  It was delicious.

http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=1589&r=1049,354,36,26,727,615,386,502,59,512,1596

Jenn

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘ Healthy Eating’ is closed to new replies.