Home Forums General Discussion Having yeast problems?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Gang;
         I had totally forgotten about curcumin as a treatment for yeast.I took it years ago and had no problem with yeast but dropped it several years ago and sure enough that is when the problem cropped up.I'll be trying it again
    Curcumin [turmeric] as a promising antifungal of clinical interest – Source: The Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, Nov 26, 2008 by CVG Martins, A de Fatima, et al.
    December 1, 2008

Objectives: The antifungal activity of curcumin was evaluated against 23 fungi strains and its in vitro inhibitory effect on the adhesion of Candida [yeast] species to human buccal epithelial cells (BEC) was also investigated. [BEC are found in the protective lining of the oral cavity.]

Methods: The antifungal susceptibility was evaluated by broth microdilution assay following the CLSI (formerly the NCCLS) guidelines. The inhibitory effect of curcumin on the cell adhesion was performed with Candida species and BEC.

Results: Paracoccidioides brasiliensis isolates were the most susceptible to curcumin while the growth of Aspergillus [family of spore-forming fungus/mold] isolates was not affected.

Curcumin was much more efficient than fluconazole [a prescription antifungal drug commonly used to treat yeast infections] in inhibiting the adhesion of Candida species to BEC, particularly those strains isolated from the buccal mucosa of AIDS patients.

Conclusions:

? The lack of antifungal compounds with reduced side effects highlights the importance of studying natural products for this purpose.

? Curcumin was a more potent antifungal than fluconazole against P. brasiliensis, the causal agent of the neglected disease paracoccidioidomycosis.

? Curcumin dramatically inhibited the adhesion of Candida species isolated from AIDS patients to BEC, demonstrating that curcumin is a promising lead compound that warrants further investigation into its therapeutical use in immunocompromised patients.

Source: The Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, Nov 26, 2008. E-pub ahead of print. PMID: 19038979, by Martins CV, da Silva DL, Neres AT, Magalh

patchoulee
    Participant

Hi Lynne,

My ND said the same thing has me taking turmeric even if I don't take anything else supplement wise she said to take tumeric. Do you have a favorite brand you take I am on two caps a day of tumeric force from IHERB.

angela

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Angie;
          I use New Roots Herbal,made in Montreal or Now brand ,made in Guelph.I told you I have 2 very sick cats.The first is coming along fine but my Velvet has throat cancer so I will try curcumin on her to see if it might help a little.Once a scientist,always a scientist and my poor cats turn into guinea pigs when they get sick.There is nothing to lose so I've put her on AP and curcumin.She has been on antibiotics for 3 weeks now and is up and walking around.Now we shall see if the curcumin might help shrink the tumour

tainabell
    Participant

One of my anti-inflammatory supplements has turmeric in it.  Its called New Chapter Zyflemad and was recommended to me by my integrative doc.  It also has rosemary, ginger, holy basi, green tea, hu zhang, chinese goldthread, barberry, oregano, and baikal skullcap.  Holy Herbals, Batman!  So far its not doing much for me but I sort of like the idea of having all those anti-inflammatories in the same pill.

jaminhealth
    Participant

Major things to do re: yeast is clean up the diet.  Eliminate SUGARS, dairy,  flour, starches of all types.  Corn and more.

Good clean lean meats (chicken, turkey, fish) are most important, green leafy veggies and not a lot of starchy veggies. 

Diet is major in yeast control and elimination.

Turmeric irritates my stomach since I was given a nasty ulcer from a drug anti-inflammatory some years ago.  

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘ Having yeast problems?’ is closed to new replies.