Home Forums General Discussion Have Dry skin due to minocycline

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    chetana
    Participant

Hi,
    I am chetana from India I have been using minocycline from past 4 months for rheumatoid arthritis which I have been suffering from past 6 and half years the dosage which I take is 100 mg on a Monday/Wednesday/Friday/Sunday ..totally 400mg per week I have started experiencing dry skin can anybody suggest any remedy.

Please reply

Thanks

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Chetana and welcome the the RBF community forum.

Some questions for you:

Living in India, I imagine it’s tough to stay out of the sun. Are you taking precautions to avoid sun exposure and to protect your skin when you go out, like using a high SPF sun lotion, wearing long sleeves, hat, clothes washing powders/liquids, etc?

Are you using any new skin products, such as soaps, shampoos, moisturizers, etc?

How severe is your dry skin, would you say?

Have you made any recent dietary changes?

Take any supplements? E.g., probiotics, vitamin, C, etc.

Have you had your thyroid levels checked recently?

chetana
    Participant

Hi, Maz

I do use SPF lotion,have not changed any new Shampoos and clothes washing powder .It is summer here and I have facial dry skin from past 15 days Have to apply moisturizer/almond oil at least 3 to 4 times a day .From past three days i have started taking probiotics Tablets Lactogut I take Calcium tablets and follow Gluten free/very less sugar and very less diary diet.

I had checked my Thyroid levels 2 years back which was normal.

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi chetana,

If this helps, rheumatic patients should have thyroid screening every year. There is a high prevalence of thyroid autoimmune overlaps (e.g., Hashimotos) with RA, so checking for hypothyroidism and thyroid auto-antibodies is just a good thing to do. Sudden onset hypothyroidism can cause very dry skin.

Also, are you seropositive for RA? (Positive RF, anti-CCP, Sed Rate, Crp and perhaps ANA) some people are diagnosed with seronegative RA when really they have another rheumatic disease that just hasn’t fully manifested yet. E.g., psoriatic arthritis can take a number of years to diagnose.

Well done finding a probiotic. Be sure to take them well spaced away from antibiotic doses so the good bacteria don’t get killed off by the antibiotic. Also, it’s a good idea to follow gut signs with probiotic dosing, as most people need more probiotic than the daily recommended dose. Systemic candida overgrowth can also cause dry skin, rashes, and itching.

Are you also using magnesium with your calcium in ratio? Calcium:magnesium is ideally a 2:1 ratio. Unopposed calcium can lead to kidney and gall stones, atherosclerosis, etc. vitamin D3 levels also need to be checked to ensure this level is in good range as it is commonly and chronically low is most rheumatics. It is a secosteroid rather than a vitamin, but assists in proper calcium absorption.

If you can, try to stay out of the sun when on minocycline as it can lead to severe sunburn and other skin issues. If using spf lotion, using one that is 50spf or above is worth it to avoid hyperpigmentaion (especially in those with darker complexions). Also, many people here take buffered ascoribic acid (if no kidney issues), not just to promote collagen, for detox, and inflammation reduction, but to prevent blue/gray hyperpigmentation that can also occur.

Hope something might help in your further researches, chetana, and that others may have ideas for you. You can use the search box at the top of the forum, too, to look for past topics on “minocycline and dry skin,” though it’s not a commonly reported side effect on this forum (which is why I asked the other questions).

chetana
    Participant

Hi, Maz
    Thank you for your reply.I am Seropositive for RA my Rf factor checked 02months back was 46, Crp 8 ,ESR 20 and my ANA is negative.I do not get much help from my Rheumatologist I have to tell him to write the prescription and give otherwise he was willing to suggest DMARDs and biologics.

Is buffered ascoribic acid Vitamin C and also Please suggest the brand name of Calciun and Magnesium tablets.

Thanks

Chetana

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.