Home Forums General Discussion Hand Surgery: Take Two

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Parisa
    Participant

A year ago, my husband had surgery on his left hand. At the time, he could not extend his hand from the wrist or extend his fingers. MRIs didn’t show exactly what was going on but the hand surgeon suspected that due to the extreme swelling my husband had suffered for almost a year that his extensor tendons had ruptured. When he opened up my husband’s arm. he found a mass of scar tissue and all of the extensor tendons had ruptured. An original surgery time of two hours was extended to five as he removed scar tissue and transplanted tendons. The surgery was fairly successful and my husband has recovered some use of his hand if not to the extent he would have liked.

Tomorrow he’s going back under the knife as there is a an area near his forearm where the muscle has atrophied. The surgeon suspects that a tendon ruptured there also and hopefully once that is fixed some of the movement that my husband hasn’t recaptured will be possible. This time they will be borrowing tendon from his legs as he doesn’t have any extra tendons left in the arms to borrow.

We’ll be going in at some god awful hour in the morning. I have heard that surgeries performed early in the morning are more successful than those later in the day. I don’t know if it’s because the a.m. suits the circadian rhythms of the body or that the surgeons are morning people. All I know is, if I were a surgeon, you wouldn’t want me operating on you before dawn.

Keep us in your thoughts.

Parisa

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Keep us in your thoughts.

Most certainly will Parisa. Hope this goes beautifully, that the surgeon is a very early morning person and that this procedure opens up a whole new chapter of movement. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Krys
    Participant

Will be praying for your husband and you. May it be a total success!!! An ocean of blessings to you, Krys

Rockin Annie
    Participant

I also like early morning appointments. I will say a prayer for you both and do hope it all goes well and…Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2015 changed to doxy 50mgs
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

kolby
    Participant

Parisa,

My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your husband.

Trudi
    Participant

Hi Parisa–

Hopefully the surgery is over and all went well. You are in my prayers–

Take care,
    Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

hopefulmama
    Participant

Parisa,

You and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers this morning. I wish him a total recovery and the full use of everything he’d once had to let go of.

Warmly,
    Andrea

nspiker
    Participant

Parisa,

I’m with you on the getting-up-before-dawn…ugh! I hope that the surgery went well, and gives your husband even greater mobility.

nancy

hi parisa, love and best wishes to your husband, hope all went well and that he makes a ful recovery 🙂 he is very blessed to have a loving and supportive wife 🙂 ..kind regards ..di.

mschmidt
    Participant

Parisa,

I hope the surgery was a success. You and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers. Please let us know how everything turns out.

Maria

Parisa
    Participant

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts. Everything went well. The surgeon only had to “harvest” a tendon graft near the ankle and didn’t have to go for additional graft near the knee. He spent alot of time cleaning up the scar tissue. My husband was pretty nauseous after the surgery and getting him from the car into the house and then up the stairs was difficult but we made it. He’s doing much better today. The cast on his arm will stay on for a month and then he’ll start the physical therapy once again to see what type of movement he can regain.

hi parisa, all the best to you both, make sure you take care of yourself as well 🙂 ..kind regards ..di.

Maz
    Keymaster

Parisa, so glad the surgery itself went well….the post-surgical nausea is so yeucky. A friend of mine had extensive abdomonal surgery last fall and the anesthetologist assured her it could be prevented by adding antiemetic drugs before and during surgery. Sorry this info might be too late now for your poor hubby, but I hope he’s not in too much discomfort.

It’s been a week of surgeries in my house, too – hence my delayed well-wishes to your hubby and you…day surgery for my daughter on Wed and two oral surgeries for me (Thurs and Fri). I’m still feeling crappola from these and unless the pain gets too bad, will be avoiding the oxycodone they rx’d me….I feel like I’m in a 60s psychadelic movie when I take those.

Fingers crossed this surgery will help your hubby’s hands and it won’t be long till this (hopefully) last vestage of the damage incurred on his long journey is behind him.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Fabulous news Parisa. Here’s hoping it’s an upward journey now. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Parisa
    Participant

Maz,

Sounds like you’re having way too much fun! I hope the oral surgeries were successful and you don’t have to go back and I hope your daughter’s surgery went well also.

I’ll keep in mind the anti-emetic drugs before/during surgery for any future surgeries. My husband was also pretty nauseous after the first hand surgery so it’s obviously a problem. I’m wondering also if maybe the length of time being under also influences it as both of these surgeries were 4-5 hours.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.