Home Forums General Discussion Giving up GMOs for Lent

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Valsmum
    Participant

Ash Wednesday starts tomorrow and I thought of giving up GMOs for lent. I know your not supposed to tell everyone what you are offering up for 40days but no one really knows me here at RB.

I read the most common GMO’s are: Corn (corn syrup, corn starch etc.), soybeans, canola, (aka rapeseed oil -which is in every salad dressing practically),tomatoes, and sugar beets. Try to find a food on the shelf not containing one of these ingredients. The majority of this is list is grown in the US and are genetically modified for herbicide tolerance and insect resistance. A small percentage of these foods are not GMOs. We don’t know the long term affect of consuming these foods regarding our health.

I haven’t read through the whole website, but I found some info helpful about GMOs at http://www.nongmoproject.org

Take care !
    (good Lenten reading 🙂 ) http://www.olrl.org/snt_docs/trustful/

Lynne G.SD
    Participant
    Valsmum
    Participant

I do not agree with all the professor has to say . Too many young people are sick when they should be healthy. They are eating foods that have been on the shelf for months. Food additives have been added to them so they will stay on the shelf and make more money for the company. I do not need someone to demystify food additives, they are added for profit, and our health worsens. We eat stuff that is void of vitamins and minerals and think we are going to be ok.

Why are foods genetically modified? Why are thousands of doctors prescribing non gmo diets and their patients are getting better from gi disorders and auto immune diseases?

Just like Every medicine has a side effect, I think food can have the same effect on us. For example, if we drink too much alcohol, you might end up with cirrhosis of the liver. So, it makes sense if we eat a bunch of junk we might end up with a health problem that there is no known cause or cure .

Doctors like, Furman, Mercola, Seignalet and Gerson have taken their patients off of toxic meds and reversed their diabetes, lupus etc. with diet. Its not a stretch to think that if foods are being manipulated genetically modified to withstand Roundup and pesticides they might not be the best choice for us. Its something that interests me and I am interested in learning more about it. I have improved significantly since cutting out many foods that gave me inflammation in several joints. I want to see if there is any difference in the way I feel when I cutout all gmo’s in my diet.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Just about all our food has been modified over the lasts 60 years,mostly for yield and drought tolerance.Unless you
    can buy heritage seeds and grow your own fruit and veggies you are getting the modified version.When it comes to
    large field crops like corn and other grains they have been modified for herbicide tolerance.I am not so worried about the food but for the pesticide residues.Grains are not really very good for one anyway so I avoid large doses of breads and pastas.
    The things with the worst pesticide residues are grapes,all berries,apricots,peaches and potatoes.One has to eat and most people can’t afford organics so we just have to live with the problem

richie
    Participant

Hi The plain fact is that people are healthier than ever and certainly kids are healthier than ever —GMO, are a fact of the food chain and has nothing to do with additives –when tomatoes ship in from South Am erica they have a thick skin to handle the trip that is an example of GMO –better corn etc is a result of GMO,s –its here to stay –I really doubt that thousands of doctors have adopted an anti-GMO position –except for some fringe players they dont even address the problems —Whats a toxic drug –a chemotherapy drug that saves a kids life who had leukemia –its routine now –or another chemotherapy drug that saves a woman after breast cancer surgery or a drug that now has improved the success rate in treating melanoma –I laugh when I see the phrase “toxic drug” cause it is just an empty phrase and means absolutely nothing –
    Richie

laurawm
    Participant

GMOs are definitely not benign. Do I think they are the causal agent of autoimmunity – no. Could they be a contributing factor for some people? Time will tell – here’s a good article to consider: http://www.nationofchange.org/new-study-proves-bt-toxins-gmos-toxic-mammalian-blood-1367936953

Here is a good documentary: http://geneticroulettemovie.com/

Best to you, Valsmum – I flare on food that is not organic.

Valsmum
    Participant

Richie,
    I don’t laugh at toxic drugs, look up the word toxic, it means to kill an organism. Kids are NOT healthy one in fifty is diagnosed with Autism, that’s awful. Everywhere you turn around a family has a kid with an autoimmune disease or autism. You don’t see the autism and auto immune diseases in poorer countries like you do here in the US and the UK.

I have an uncle that died of complications from metheltrexate (chemo therapy, chemical therapy), and then my friend came down with throat cancer after taking metheltrexate for years. Metheltrexate is a toxic drug, my rheumatologist told me it was toxic. It kills healthy cells and it makes you feel like crap, mouth ulcers, vomiting and fatigue are just the beginning, then it goes for your liver and they have to take you off of it.

I’ll find the source where it says how many doctors are taking their patients off of gmos only to have better health for it. I like to ask questions. I keep seeing the same answers to my questions as to why they need to genetically modify food to withstand pesticides/Roundup.
    Its common sense to eat fruits and vegetables for better health and to avoid taking anything that has horrible side effects food or med. Our bodies were made to heal themselves if they are sick or injured,and they can if we get out of the way and overloading it with toxic meds, packaged foods that is devoid of any nutritional value.
    I have taken toxic meds, toxic meaning they kill a healthy organism, the nurses in rheumatology cannot handle the IV meds without gloves for that reason, they are toxic.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Laura,Valsmum;
    Where do you find NON GMO foods?Everything I see in the organic section of grocery store is GMO.It may be grown organicly but it is still GMO.I grow a lot of my own food as I have almost a whole acre of land to do so and can get a lot of the old varieties of seeds through a heritage seed co-op.I freeze and can a lot but do run out by this time of year and then only find the GMOs All citrus is GMO but I will not give them up.

richie
    Participant

Hi In poor countries autistic kids are abandoned –or worse —methotrexate is actually an anti cancer drug –did your uncle die from the drug or the illness –dont get me wrong I certainly dont like to see folks with rheumatic disease taking MTX because of the effects on the liver —-Chemotherapy has to use toxic drugs to kill cancer cells –I just think the word toxic is overused and is almost a cliche –chemotherapy drugs have to be toxic to work –so is toxic necessarily bad ?????-
    richie

richie
    Participant

Hi I think autism has been here forever –the methods of diagnosis has greatly improved and many more subsets of autism are now thrown into the figure –I remember years ago no one thought of autism when a kid was slow or was not to standards —
    richie

richie
    Participant

Hi I find it interesting —some folks who are opposed to traditional meds treat herbs -supplements and other techniques like candy –I just counted 33 different herbs and supplements that a poster is taking –is this any better ??? What is the progress in defeating the illness – I really think that very often the goal of defeating the particular illness gets overlooked !!!!! The focus should only be on defeating the illness—I feel it would be far more productive if a person lists his or her meds but more importantly list the progress or lack of progress —If I were just starting to look at this site I would most certainly want to know how a person is doing with the meds being taken

richie

laurawm
    Participant

Hi Lynne,

One of the requirements of USDA organic is non-gmo. I buy locally and at whole foods, all organic.

Richie – just updated my signature line – not sure how many supplements I take exactly, but I am close to remission. Yesterday I took a long fast walk and my morning stiffness is low and gone within 15 minutes. I still have some inflammation in certain joints and I do still go through herxing if I overdue a supplement, but all my labs are normal except my CRP which varies with herxing.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Laura;
    I have checked the organic rules and there is nothing said about lots of the foods we eat.Most have been geneticly changed over many years.
    The original potato has many coulours,is small and knobby
    The original carrot is not long and orange,it more yellow and very short and often hairy
    The original kiwi is the size of a marble
    The original grape is tiny and rather bitter,the seed makes up most of the fruit
    The original strawberry is smaller than a dime as are most other berries
    The original orange is brownish green on the outside and rather bitter
    The original grapefruit is the size of an orange.The pink one was made in Barbados in the 18 hundreds
    Just about all foods have been hybridized by man and are therefore genetically modified the only difference now is that grains are being hybridized to be resistant to pesticides.It’s the pesticide residue that one has to worry about.Mind you there is a lot of it on foods other than organicly grown

richie
    Participant

Hi I guess it goes to illustrate to each their own –glad you are doing good –I used conventional meds including minocin blood pressure meds calcium channel blocker etc -I am in total remission including- my contractures are straight -my Raynauds is gone -my swallowing issues are gone -all my skin tightness is gone -fatigue is gone –energy way up –this all on traditional meds and using traditional doctors —-I have no dietary restrictions at all –eat just about anything -if a food doesnt agree with me I just dont eat it —Oh yes –I eat I guess GMO foods -definitely eat gluten -sushi etc

Richie

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.