Home Forums General Discussion Generic Minocycline vs. Brand Minocin vs. Doxycycline

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    CMS12
    Participant

Hi All – I posted a year and a half ago that I had been in near remission for 6 years on brand Minocin. My script was then filled generic Teva. I figured it didn’t matter since I was doing so well. However, after several months severe symptoms returned. I had trouble getting brand Minocin but was able to secure it about 2 months later. It took several months before I started to improve but I did improve. However, like many here reported my insurance now refused it when the price skyrocketed last fall. So, I went to Watson generic. I am back to horrible symptoms again. It seems generics don’t work for me. I have an appt. with my doctor next Tuesday and thought I would request script for doxycycline. In preparation for that I wanted to ask if I should get generic or brand doxy which I believe is vibramyacin.

jasregadoo

I know PhilC has suggested asking for Dynacin, which I believe is a tablet form of Minocin. I asked my doctor and it’s not in her database of available drugs. Same thing when I go to my insurance website, and at my pharmacy. But you may have better luck.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

How much minocycline have you been taking?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

CMS12
    Participant

Hi Phil – At first I took Minocin 100 mg. x 2 MWF (started April 2009) and after a couple of years I achieved near remission and was able to drop to 100 mg. MWF. When Walgrees switched me to Teva in March 2014 I kept taking 100 mg. MWF for 6 months until I came out of remission. Then I went back on Minocin 100 mg. 2 x MWF for 13 months until health insurance declined to pay in November 2015 and I switched to Watson. Before switch to Watson I was about 50 percent back to where I had been on Minocin in 2009-2014. When I started Watson in November 2015 I took 100 mg. x 2 MWF and now I’m really not doing well again. However, even with 13 months on Minocin I never got back to remission, but I was doing better than I am now. Sorry for long response but wanted to lay all the facts out there as I am still unsure if I need to switch to a different antibiotic. Thanks for any help you can offer. Cindy.

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi CMS,

Just a thought, but the issue might be bio-equivalency. Generic forms of mino can vary in potency and it might just be that the Watson and TEVA doses need to be tweaked to provide the same degree of effectiveness as Minocin. I believe Dr. F. In CA recommends higher dosing when generics are used. Frustrating that Minocin has been placed outside the financial range of most people. Dynacin, as jasregadoo mentioned, might be a nice alternative brand.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Cindy,

Regarding doxycycline, generic Vibramycin should be fine. If you decide to switch to doxycycline, I recommend trying to get doxycycline hyclate capsules made by Actavis Pharma (formerly Watson). Also, since doxy tends to be weaker than mino, you’ll probably need to take 100 mg BID, every day. You may also need to take a second antibiotic, like azithromycin or clarithromycin.

As for your experiences with generic minocycline, I would not conclude that generic minocycline doesn’t work for you since you only tried two of them. By the way, the two generics that you tried (Teva and Watson) happen to be ones that I will not accept. They contain dyes and corn starch, and I suspect that you are sensitive (allergic) to one or more of those ingredients.

I recommend that you try to get your prescription filled with minocycline tablets. Most of the minocycline tablets sold in the U.S. do not contain any synthetic dyes or corn starch. Make sure that your doctor specifies tablets on the prescription; otherwise, the pharmacy will most likely fill your prescription with capsules. It would be a good idea to call a few pharmacies in your area and ask them what kind of minocycline tablets they normally carry, as well as any others that they be able to order. Be sure to emphasize that you are only interested in tablets and not capsules. Report back here with your findings.

Finally, I think it would probably be helpful for you to read about Vinny’s experiences with generic minocycline:
    https://www.roadback.org/forums/topic/ranbaxy-minocycline/

Phil

- Albert Einstein

CMS12
    Participant

Hi Phil and Maz – Thank you so much for your responses. My brain has been racing trying to solve this. Talking it out on Road Back has allowed me to analyze and realize I was definitely improving on Minocin last year. I still have a script for Minocin. When Walgreens told me health insurance declined to pay for it last fall my cost was $1400 for 60 capsules. I see the cost has now gone to $2600 for 60 capsules. However, for years I was able to take 1 capsule MWF and did fine until switched to Teva. So, by my calculations if I fill Minocin and can get back there (it could take many months and going into debt) I’d only have to come up with $500 per month as a script would last me 20 weeks. So, I am going to pay for Minocin and hope that I can get back to 3 capsules per week in the next year. Although expensive it has been the only thing in 16 years that has worked for me. Ugh. I just wish I’d thought this through last November and I wouldn’t be in this mess. I’d still be on Minocin and probably back to 3 per week.

Thanks again and I’ll report back.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Cindy,

There’s another option for you to consider. You could order Minocin from Canada, like some members of this forum do.

http://www.buylowdrugs.com/rx-drugs/minocin.php

What you want is the second item on that page — “Minocin MR”.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

CMS12
    Participant

Thanks Phil – I just returned from Walgreens where I learned that 60 Minocin pills cost $3000. So it’s doubled since November! It boggles my mind considering what it cost just a year ago which I believe was $1000 based on my copay. In any case I ordered 30 which should last me 5 weeks. I’ve always done MWF 200 MG split dose per day so I’m lucky there. Once I’m back on track I will explore alternatives but right now I’m desperate and willing to put it on a credit card. Again, I so appreciate all the help. One thing with Minocin MR that concerns me is, I believe, an earlier post from you last year about the ingredients not being as pure as Minocin. Thoughts on that?

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Cindy,

One thing with Minocin MR that concerns me is, I believe, an earlier post from you last year about the ingredients not being as pure as Minocin. Thoughts on that?

Although the ingredients list for Minocin MR is much longer than it is for Minocin, it contains no synthetic dyes or corn starch. There’s also Aknemin, which can you order from a different Canadian pharmacy. I think they’re worth a try since some people like them. Unfortunately, I have seen comments from people who said that they didn’t do as well on them (applies to both brands), but that’s most likely an individual thing.

I still think you should try generic Dynacin tablets. The tablets are more expensive than capsules (generic Minocin), but since you seem to have good health insurance it shouldn’t be a problem..

Phil

- Albert Einstein

PhilC
    Participant

I know PhilC has suggested asking for Dynacin, which I believe is a tablet form of Minocin. I asked my doctor and it’s not in her database of available drugs. Same thing when I go to my insurance website, and at my pharmacy. But you may have better luck.

Unfortunately, it appears that Dynacin was taken off the market. However, generic Dynacin tablets are still available, and they’re what we are really after. If you search for Dynacin at GoodRx.com, you’ll see that pharmacies do have minocycline tablets.

See: http://www.goodrx.com/dynacin?drug-name=dynacin

Phil

- Albert Einstein

CMS12
    Participant

Hi – Thanks for the input. I will give those thoughts consideration. I filled 30 Minocin last Friday and to my incredible surprise my new healthcare provider paid. They may not pay long term but for now I have enough for 5 weeks at 100 mg. x 2 MWF. I will report back here on my progress. Thanks again everyone.

Cindy

LL
    Participant

I would like to chime in on this one too. I began brand name Mino 100mg bid on 1/15 for En Coup De Sabre. I started slowly taking 50mg bid for about a week, and within 2 weeks got myself up to 100mg. By week 3 the dent about my eye brow actually started to fill in…unbelievable…so much hope and so excited. However, my script ran out and I started on the Teva brand. Within a week, the dent returned and it seemed there was no progress made. I called my dr and was lucky that my new insurance as of 1/1 is covering a 30 day supply at $2500…absolutely ridiculous. I just started on that on 2/12 and am hoping to see improvement within a few weeks. I just pray they will keep covering the brand name mino.

I guess I’ve read some people have luck getting it from Canada…is it the actual brand name mino?

Thank you and good luck!

Denyse
    Participant

LL what is the company that has the brand Minocin now?? And is it still green and clear green capsule?

CANADIAN LIVING IN CANADA
    Diagnosis/ Diffuse Scleroderma since 05/2006
    Current Meds: Methotrexate, Minocin, Zantac, Rabeprozale, Zopiclone
    Current Supp: Nattokinase, Serrapeptase, COQ10, Milk Thistle, Folate,, B12, D3, Melissa, UP4 probiotics, N-A-C
    medical MJ
    Current Extras: FIR

PhilC
    Participant

I guess I’ve read some people have luck getting it from Canada…is it the actual brand name mino?

Not really, though the name is similar — Minocin MR. Other brands that are available are Aknemin, Cynomycin, and Minomycin. However, none of those are exactly the same as the Minocin that is currently sold in the U.S. (and formerly in Canada).

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.