Home Forums General Discussion Gastritis

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    aboyer
    Participant

I have severe RA along with gerd and chronic gastritis. I really want to try the antibiotic protocol but scared that it will hurt my stomach more. Is there an antibiotic that won’t upset my stomach? Maybe doxy?

Diagnosed with severe RA 12 years ago
    Tested positive for M. pneumoniae and C. pneumoniae

Current meds: Kineret 100mg, doxycycline 50mg, cbd oil, and celebrex

Supplements: fish oil, vitamin b12, folate, b6, iron, selenium, zinc, vitamin c, and biotin

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi aboyer

Have you been tested for H.pylori? That is one cause of chronic gastritis. see here

I think you’ll find that any antibiotic taken orally has the potential to cause stomach upset if you already have an issue. Pelleted versions of either seem to be gentler on the gut (from patient reports) but care needs to be taken with fillers.

One thing that I have both researched (and taken) recently is Sachcharomyces Boulardii. This is a very interesting strain of probiotic that has been researched quite extensively for its capabilities in preventing (and in some cases) treating a lot of different causes of diarrhea – including Antibiotic Acquired Diarrhea (AAD) and C.difficile Associated Diarrhea (CDAD). Unlike other probiotics, it is not a bacterium but a non-pathogenic yeast that doesn’t colonize the gut and that doesn’t interfere with antibiotic efficacy (because it’s not a bacterium).
    Might be worth you researching some more – and certainly talking to your Doctor. My AP Doctor stocks a good brand of this probiotic (it’s important to get a good one) and I know she supports its use with IV Clindamycin.
    Some research information on it here

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

aboyer
    Participant

I was negative for h. Plyori.

I have taken the probiotic you’re talking about.

I’m just wondering if it would be a good idea to take an antibiotic and which one. I don’t have access to a Dr who will do the iv therapy. Would doxy be bad to take with gastritis?

Supplements: fish oil, vitamin b12, folate, b6, iron, selenium, zinc, vitamin c, and biotin

Maz
    Keymaster

Aboyer, there is a brand new RA research section on this site for H.Pylori and other infections as well as relevant antibiotic studies for these various infections. I’m mentioning this because it might be worth further testing for H. Pylori. Do you recall which test was run?

RA Research – H. Pylori

RA Research – Antibiotic Studies for RA

Scan thru the antibiotic studies for RA and you will find ones for RA and H. Pylori.

aboyer
    Participant

Thank you, but I don’t have h. Plyori. I got gastritis from years of nsaids, prednisone and ra meds. I would like to know if doxy or any other antibiotic will make it worse

Maz
    Keymaster

Thank you, but I don’t have h. Plyori. I got gastritis from years of nsaids, prednisone and ra meds. I would like to know if doxy or any other antibiotic will make it worse

Sorry, Aboyer…I saw your response to Lyn after I wrote my reply. Nevertheless, understand your concern about NSAID use and gastritis and there is a study right at the bottom of the H. Pylori research about NSAID use and RA and that the two (HP and NSAID use in RA) can go together. So just thought you’d be interested.

See study st bottom of this page

Also, considering that gastritis is a common manifestation of H. Pylori and that there are certain abx that are used in those situations, you might like to peruse the list of abx for RA (and particularly ones for HP as gastritis patients can have tolerance issues) and follow the link in the intro paragraph of the HP research to go to the Barry Marshall Foundation to look at the abx protocols he uses for HP, because even if you don’t have HP, those abx seem to be tolerated for people with stomach issues (along with bismuth, not PPIs).

As long as you don’t also have stomach ulcers from NSAIDs and no longer use pred, which can cause stomach ulcer bleed outs, doing an abx protocol should be okay. It’s just finding one your stomach can handle. Some compounding pharmacies will make up enteric coated abx or modified release versions that bypass the stomach, if it’s an issue. There is an AP doc in NYC who is looking into compounding the original Minocin in a modified-release pelleted version as the original brand is no longer available, so there are possibilities for folks with stomach issues.

Just some ideas for you. Are you working with an experienced AP doc or LLMD?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.