Home Forums General Discussion Fluid Retention

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    PhilC
    Participant

@enzed wrote:

I will follow up with my Dr regarding your suggestion that the BP medication could be changed. He has respect for the expert opinion of DR S in Iowa and for the information I have found on this forum and printed out for him.

What about Benicar? Just another option for your consideration…

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

enzed
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

@enzed wrote:

I will follow up with my Dr regarding your suggestion that the BP medication could be changed. He has respect for the expert opinion of DR S in Iowa and for the information I have found on this forum and printed out for him.

What about Benicar? Just another option for your consideration…

Phil

Thanks Phil,

So far I have two possible alternative BP medications.
    Your suggestion of Benicar and one other, Cozaar aka generic name of Iosartan

enzed
    Participant

After 5 days without taking Doxy the fluid build up in my ankles has disappeared along with the stiffness thank goodness.

I also stopped the daily dose of Isosorbide Mononitrate 30mg that I was taking for Raynauds in case it was causing a negative drug interaction.

The feedback I have received from Phil and Richie (thanks guys) indicates there may be a relationship between fluid retention/Doxy and my BP medication. I will check that out with my Dr next visit. In the meantime no more AP.

There is still the possibility that I have developed a hypersensitivity to Doxy as I did with Mino. I hope that’s not the case.

Anonymous
    Participant

Blessings to all. Just referred another patient here and thought I’d drop by while I was thinking about you all at RBF. So glad you are here for folks. Thank you so very much.

I am terrible at learning new websites and/or remembering how to post, etc., but giving it a try tonight.

For some relief from swelling you can mix dandelion tea (health food store or Amazon) with some decaf green tea, 1/2 and 1/2. Dandelion is a natural diuretic with no known side effects. Personally, I never have liked tea of any kind, so I mix my hot teas with milk and sweetener to be able to drink them. Green tea is excellent for detoxing too, and has other benefits. The brand for green tea that I like, recommended by others who drink it because some is quite bitter, is Salada.

The brand for the dandelion tea is whatever you can find. Seems the dandelion “leaf” tea is a bit more mild than that made from the roots, but if you drown it all in milk like I do, followed by some chocolate ice cream, it really doesn’t matter. ~smile~

If you drink 2 cups of the mixed teas twice a day for a couple of days you should see a reduction in the swelling. Works wonders for me and others have had the same benefits. Certainly hope it helps! You all take care!

LB

enzed
    Participant

I drink Japanese or Chinese green tea nearly every day for detox, I love it just the way it comes, no milk etc added. I make a pot and drink it cold throughout the day. Haven’t tried Dandelion yet though.

I also detox 3 times a week with a glass of juiced greens (kale) with lemon, celery and ginger. It tastes good with half a lemon. If I use a whole lemon its too acidic and causes acid reflex. I’m going to add a small spoon of virgin olive oil to the next glass and see what that tastes like.

I don’t think my fluid retention has been caused by a lack of detox, but is more likely to be a drug interaction or hypersensitivity to antibiotics.

PhilC
    Participant

@enzed wrote:

There is still the possibility that I have developed a hypersensitivity to Doxy as I did with Mino. I hope that’s not the case.

There are other antibiotics that you could take. Besides the tetracyclines, Dr. Brown also used macrolide antibiotics. A few of the commonly used macrolides are azithromycin, clarithromycin, and roxithromycin. Of those three, I think I’d be inclined to try clarithromycin (Klacid) first. Something to discuss with your doctor…

Phil

- Albert Einstein

enzed
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

@enzed wrote:

There are other antibiotics that you could take. Besides the tetracyclines, Dr. Brown also used macrolide antibiotics. A few of the commonly used macrolides are azithromycin, clarithromycin, and roxithromycin. Of those three, I think I’d be inclined to try clarithromycin (Klacid) first. Something to discuss with your doctor…

Phil

Thank you for the reminder Phil, that there are alternative antibiotics I could take.

I do in fact still have 10 tablets of 300 mg roxithromycin in my fridge, so could use those first. It seems like a big dose though – maybe if I take one every second day, not every day, and keep a watch out for fluid retention.

I was previously taking 200mg Doxy daily and pulsing twice a week with 300mg Roxi. I think that dose was far too high and I developed swollen, painful and very stiff knees as a result. Detox made no difference.

PhilC
    Participant

@enzed wrote:

Thank you for the reminder Phil, that there are alternative antibiotics I could take.

I do in fact still have 10 tablets of 300 mg roxithromycin in my fridge, so could use those first. It seems like a big dose though – maybe if I take one every second day, not every day, and keep a watch out for fluid retention.

Since you have CREST, I believe that your doctor will want you to take roxithromycin every day.

The recommended adult dosage is 300mg per day, which may be taken according to one of the following alternative dosage regimens:

> one 300mg tablet once a day, or
    > one 150mg tablet twice a day, or
    > two 150mg tablets once a day.

However, depending on your condition and how you react to the medicine, your doctor may ask you to take a different dose.

Source: Rulide Tablets

As you can see from the above info, some people take 300 mg of roxithromycin once a day. However, since the half-life of roxithromycin is about 12 hours, I’d rather take 150 mg twice a day. I also suspect that taking 300 mg of roxithromycin once a day increases the risk of adverse reactions compared to taking 150 mg twice a day.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

enzed
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

@enzed wrote:

Since you have CREST, I believe that your doctor will want you to take roxithromycin every day.

The recommended adult dosage is 300mg per day, which may be taken according to one of the following alternative dosage regimens:

> one 300mg tablet once a day, or
    > one 150mg tablet twice a day, or
    > two 150mg tablets once a day.

However, depending on your condition and how you react to the medicine, your doctor may ask you to take a different dose.

Source: Rulide Tablets

As you can see from the above info, some people take 300 mg of roxithromycin once a day. However, since the half-life of roxithromycin is about 12 hours, I’d rather take 150 mg twice a day. I also suspect that taking 300 mg of roxithromycin once a day increases the risk of adverse reactions compared to taking 150 mg twice a day.

Phil

Thanks Phil. As I have 10 tablets of Roxi left, I could cut them in half to meet the 12 hour half life requirement by taking 150mg twice a day for 10 days. It sounds like the best way to use them. They were prescribed by my Dr (on the advice of Dr S) to use as a pulse with Doxy but when I had a washout these 10 tablets were left over.I will use them up on their own beginning tomorrow. That will give a course.

enzed
    Participant

I had also reached out to Dr S for advice on what to do in this situation and have just received this answer;

“I do not think the doxycycline quit working. I think the edema in your legs and feet is vasodilation due to successful AP treatment I recommend decreasing the dose for now and then increase the dose slowly. For now take doxy 100 mg. once a week. Do that for a while, and if you tolerate that then increase to twice a week, do that for a while and then continue to increase, but very slowly and only if tolerated.”

I was waiting to hear back from DR S before starting the Roxithromycin so will take the advice of Dr S. first, to restart Doxy at a dose of 100mg once a week and increase slowly if my feet and knees can tolerate it.

Thanks to Phil and Richie for sharing your AP information with me, it is much appreciated and will be very useful to me and others I am sure.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.