Home Forums General Discussion Flagyl – Does not work

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    worldofme
    Participant

This drug no longer works for my AS / ReA whatever it is. I have intense back stiffness not going away.

I guess I thought it work but guess not anymore.

Now what? I don’t want to die.

jasregadoo

WorldofMe, have you seen an AP doctor yet? Don’t give up hope.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Ben,

As you mentioned previously, there are other antibiotics that you can try, like Bactrim. But I want to to give you a warning. Starting and stopping antibiotics like you’ve been doing is not good. You give the “bugs” a “breather” every time you stop, and increase the likelihood that they will develop resistance to the antibiotic(s). That may be the reason why Flagyl stopped working.

There is also another option for you to consider. Based on everything you’ve told us so far, I have a strong hunch that hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil) may help you. A rheumatologist could give you a prescription for that.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

worldofme
    Participant

My doctor is okay with prescribing medicine for arthritis but hes not sure what the protocol is but hes willing to try some meds if I bring it to his attention which is one reason I have not seen any AB doctors (list you gave me)

– I am not stopping Doxy. I will continue doxy for few more weeks to see if it works. So Far No. I took it straight for 1 week and I still feel the prostate is inflamed all day long with lower SI joint back and spine.

– I just can’t live with this stiffness in the spine that hurts so much that all I due is cry.

Duexis no longer really works.

Phil- I will take Bactrim after finishing course of Doxy.

Flagyl I always pulse. There is no way you can take this forever and besides it does not penetrate the prostate well. I will try Tindamax next time.

worldofme
    Participant

Besides I’ve being reading about AB treatment and most talk about Minocycline as treatment which I will ask my ID doc about but I just don’t get it.

All this time of being on Flagyl, I should be cure.

MLTelfer
    Participant

Another DMARD you may consider is Leflunomide. Of the DMARDS is has displayed efficacy is PsA.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Ben,

There’s another possibility. You may be having a Herxheimer reaction. It’s a case of getting worse before you get better. The prednisone that your doctor prescribed may help you get through it. I know you don’t like prednisone because of the side effects, but you would only need to be on it temporarily. Also, there is a way to take prednisone that greatly reduces the risk of side effects. Instead of being taken daily, it is taken every other day (alternate-day dosing). If the idea interests you, you should discuss it with your doctor before proceeding.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

worldofme
    Participant

Phil,

Great Idea. My infection disease doctor did recommend that if I wish I could take Prednisone every other day to reduce side effects. I actually feel that I get a better treatment with my ID doc regarding this entire matter including arthritis than Rheumatologist who either will say maybe, perhaps or take Duexis – don’t know about Abx ask your ID doc and etc…. Nothing more than take Duexis for pain.

*** Update ***

I was on flagyl for last week or so and I decided to stop 48 hours ago for the weekend to go out a little & to start Tindamax on Monday.

In last 48 hours, my UTI symptoms are back, pain after passing urine, prostate inflamed, and more joint aches.

This pattern is similar in last two years. I know if I take the flagyl the Urination issues go away while on it.

I’m not sure if If Flagyl is helping with inflammation / it’s actually curing a bacteria which is lodge in my prostate. From my understanding Flagyl does not penetrate the prostate and Tindamax does so doctor says fine to try Tindamax.

There is no point in doing Urine Culture / Other test with these symptoms because I’ve done that and the end results is negative / no growth.

Does this make any sense?

I had an initial Herxheimer reaction when I started Flagyl back original. I got sick, like flu type sick.

I see my ID doc in couple weeks and I will ask about spacing prednisone & about Leflunomide.

I will continue Doxy. Today is day 6 and not a slightest improvement at all. I got the feeling doxy will not work but I will continue until bottle finishes.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Ben;
    I don’t get to the forum very much,just too busy and wiped out at day’s end.Just maybe you are expecting immidiate miracles???? It took me a full 2 years on AP before I was better and just about 4 years to get my hands back to normal.Somehow you have to be able to control pain and inflamation for months on end before seeing the benefit of the antibiotics.The body normally makes the equivelent of 2-3 mg of prednisone so a low dose should not do any harm but always monitor your blood pressure daily as it can cause renal failure.I am now quite involved with veterinary courses,not to be a vet but for my own information and to prove to myself that I am not brain dead yet.I was reading a very interesting article in one of their reviews about Artimisinin.It seems that it is just about as good,if not better than Plaquinil,does not have any known side effects.I know Maz has used it so she might have an idea or two for you

worldofme
    Participant

Not looking for quick solution but should be able to know if particular med is working.

Ive taken doxy for a week now and don’t seem to feel any difference.

I stopped flagyl and thinking of starting tindamax

But whatever it is it should gone ie..bacteria or whatever and this is just a immune mediate process.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

I think that if you read the FAQs you will see that you should see a bit of a difference in a few months and improvements within a year or so.AP is ever so slow.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Ben,

My infection disease doctor did recommend that if I wish I could take Prednisone every other day to reduce side effects.

Great! In that case, you don’t need to wait since you’ve already discussed it with your doctor.

But whatever it is it should gone ie..bacteria or whatever and this is just a immune mediate process.

I believe that you are almost certainly mistaken. Some infections are very hard to eradicate. Many microorganisms will change to a dormant form when conditions become unfavorable, and those dormant forms are not usually affected by antibiotics. Also, once microbes get into the prostate gland, it can be very difficult to get rid of them.

Ive taken doxy for a week now and don’t seem to feel any difference.

Doxycycline has anti-inflammatory properties; if you really only have inflammation without an infection, the doxycycline should help.

You mentioned that your doctor gave you a prescription for Bactrim. I thought I should point out to you that it is safe to take Bactrim and doxycycline at the same time — this combination is used to treat some infections (e.g., melioidosis). Ask your ID doctor about it. The reason I mention this is because it seems rather obvious that you have a stubborn, chronic infection that will not be easy to eradicate, and using multiple antibiotics (carefully chosen) may be necessary.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

worldofme
    Participant

Phil,

I do and will ask next meeting about it. But, most relief is from flagyl.

After stopping flagyl uti symptoms came back and doxy being on it for 7 days did not help solove that issue.

I know ngu is treated with doxy and azithromycin. I’ve take azithromycin before with doxy noting.

Whatever it is, it needs a help with either flagyl or tindamax

I’m going to start tindamax on Monday so we will know which is better for sure flagyl or tindamax

Whatever it is causing immune mediated response has to be in my prostate. It cannot be in uretha. Flagyl, doxxy, cipro or ZPack would have knocked it off.

I know whatever meds I choose I have to add flagyl to it.

So far following combo produce nothing.

Doxy and flagyl nothing. It was flagyl helpING more.

Cipro and doxy no cure.

Azithro and doxy nothing

Each combo was done for at least m inimum 14 days period.

Levofloxacin helped with prostatitis but I stopped because of shoulder bursitis.

Bactrim help but cause ear pain.

So next it’s either bactrim and flagyl or bactrim and doxy after I speak with my id doc.

What are ur thought phil?

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Ben,

Since you’re unable to take Flagyl for an extended period of time, I would try to find one or (preferably) two antibiotics (ones that work) that you can take continuously. In addition, you could take Flagyl once a month for 14 days. The idea is that Flagyl would be the primary means of killing the “bugs,” while the other antibiotics would help out by suppressing the “bugs,” and hopefully help prevent you from backsliding when you’re taking a break from Flagyl.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

worldofme
    Participant

Phil,

Good tip.

Do you know / ever heard of Trich causing Reactive Arthritis??? I doubt I have Trich with so many PCR negative test but Flagyl is very specific drug and I have not read about any studies regarding Anarobic bactria causing prostate infection / Reactive Arthritis.

Your def right about Doxy being Anti-inflammatory. I took 2 (100 mg each ) this morning & 1 pill at night – total of 300mg of Doxy today and my arthritis pain significantly dropped.

So I guess I’m on the right track – only if I could tolerate Flagyl for few months. 2 weeks is max before Flagyl causes stomach issues.

Your last post indicates Flagyl is better at prostate penetration but how do you completely get rid of the bug to avoid immune mediated, especially if it’s in BIOFILM?

I know from trial and error with so many Meds and Prednisone that If i can get rid of prostatitis than ReA will go away.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.