Home Forums General Discussion face swelling?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lanaea
    Participant

H, I have been on minocycline 100mg 2x/day for 2 weeks +. I have severe facial swelling. Also a very stiff neck. Has anyone else had this? Is this a herx reaction? Not sure if I should maybe go to the ER for prednisone or something to bring the inflammation down as it has been 3 days now.

LaNae Atkinson

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Lanaea,

It was nice talking with you today and, as you mentioned also taking Bactrim for an infection, thought it might be helpful for you to look at these possible side effects of that antibiotic (Bactrim is a combo of sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim), which include the symptoms you mentioned (stiff neck and swollen face) and others you might also relate to (extreme thirst):

Bactrim side effects

I hope you are able to connect with your prescribing doc asap about this reaction (tricky during the holidays), because although you are in the prime time for experiencing a herx after starting minocycline, some of these symptoms may be related to the temporary addition of Bactrim, which is a sulpha-based anitibiotic and to which some are allergic.

I hope this helps, Lanaea, and hope others will chime in with their thoughts for you, too. It’s pretty quiet around here during the holidays, but someone may have had a similar experience to share with you.

richie
    Participant

Drugs.com lists Bactrim and minocycline taken together as possible having interactions –unfortunately many many doctors have scant knowledge of which antibiotics can mix together and which cant –This is where your pharmacist comes in –he or she has far better knowledge of this than most doctors … I would definitely stop both meds until you talk to doctor–

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Richie,

Just checked drugs.com and appears there are no interactions listed for Bactrim and minocycline. Did you see a problem listed with these two elsewhere on the net?

Drug interactions checker: minocycline and bactrim

Think Lenaea is okay in terms of her AP doc/LLMD, as he is pretty experienced.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.