Home Forums General Discussion Eye health

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Linda L
    Participant

Emma Diangela is a nutritionist and blogger and she recently wrote a blog in response to patients with vision loss due to conditions such as macular degeneration who were asking if any medications may increase the risk of blindness. She wrote that while most medications that may pose a risk will state the “risk of blindness” on the prescription description insert, her recommendation is that those who are most vulnerable to this risk should take necessary precautions, such as ensuring proper nutrient supplementation and talking to a doctor about a medication taper. WebMD lists some of these essential nutrients for protecting eye health here: Age related macular degeneration treatment

Emma Diangela lists some of the medications that may be problematic to people with vision loss issues, as follows:

Warfarin or blood thinners (Coumadin®): causes bleeding from abnormal blood vessels in the macula that leads to severe vision loss.

Chloroquine (arthritis drug): lead to retinal detachment, reduced color vision, blind spots, and blurred central vision

Clonidine (lowering blood pressure): Leads to blurred vision

NSAIDs: bring about side effects impacting the eyes including dry eyes, cataracts, and retinal hemorrhages that may result from long-term use. These include ibuprofin (Motrin, Advil, Aleve, Bayer, aspirin, ketoprofen, flurbiprofen, and naproxen sodium. In addition acetaminophen (Tylenol), while not an NSAID, can be harmful to vision.

Antibiotics: Levofloxacine (Cravit, Levaquin) and fluoroquinolones, such as ciprofloxacin can lead to retinal detachment too.

Birth control pills can lead to many eye problems, including retinal vascular problems.

Steroids: Cortisone prescriptions such as Prednisone (prelone, deltasone) are the most damaging drugs to the eyes of all prescription drugs.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

richie
    Participant

She should stick to nutrition and keep out of medicine —-She is jumping the gun to advocate weaning off certain medicines–how about just getting an eye exam every six months which is recommended –

Pinkmoth
    Keymaster

I see your point Richie but a lot of damage can be done in 6 months. It’s good to know the risks of a drug so you can decide what you’re willing to risk and if taking it is worth it. Too many doctors hand out steroids like candy and not inform of the risks.

I took accutane when I was young and according to my opthalmologist is the likely reason why some if the oil producing glands in my eyelids have dried up permanently. Was never warned of this possible side effect!

Autoimmune: ANA positive speckled. Probable MCTD with SD overlap. Hashimoto's. Possible Erlos Danlos. Mold Illness.
    Infections: Bartonella, toxoplasmosis, mycoplasma, EBV
    Meds: minocycline (Zydus generic) 100mg 1x daily,
    Supps: digestive enzymes, Monolaurin, Betaine hydrochloric acid, iron, quercetin, biocidin

richie
    Participant

Hi So go to an eye doctor every three months—it is aggravating when I see a person whose only interest is peddling a book or Cd’s takes a frivolous approach –” Cut Back Meds ” How dare her advocate cutting back meds including life saving meds –I see you may well have MCTD or Lupus or SD –taking minocycline —I know people who died of MCTD and who died of SD —and this person is advocating cutting back — the minocycline which may well be the only effective med for you !!!! Do you cut it back since the background color of your eyes is now a blue gray ?????

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.