Home Forums General Discussion English Muffins

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Parisa
    Participant

I made gluten free English Muffins today.  I was inspired by the glutenfreegirlblogspot that I like to visit ever since I read the book, Gluten Free Girl.  Really, my first venture into using yeast.  Two risings but luckily no kneading. In the past when I would see the word “risings” I would just skip the recipe.  Now, however, deprived of decent bread choices, I decided to venture into English Muffin making.  The recipe wasn't too difficult but it was time consuming.  Thankfully, my husband and son both really liked the muffins.  After all I put into it, I would have been disappointed if they turned out bad or “tasted okay for gluten free.” 

The English Muffins are symbolic for me in that a couple of years ago despite going gluten free I couldn't really really do this type of cooking.  I was so stressed and worn out with helping my husband get better and surviving day to day life that I had no room for enjoyment of new things. 

http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/

nspiker
    Participant

Parisa,
    The Gluten Free Girl website is beautiful….makes me want to try it.  I wouldn't know where to start with getting some of those products. like the “gum”.  I love to cook, but yeast rising is something I've always stayed away from too. 

You have to celebrate being able to enjoy the small things in life….how wonderful!

Parisa
    Participant

Hi Nancy,

I get most of these things at Henry's, Whole Foods and Baron's.

I'm also making a Montina bread in the bread maker about twice a week.  It was getting expensive so now I'm research where to get everything in for less.  I  make up batches of the dry ingredients ready to put in the breadmaker.  (Teenage boys really eat and it's hard to afford a gluten free teenage boy!).

I did find a site yesterday that carries Xanthan gum a common binder in gluten free breads for a very good price.  http://www.barryfarm.com/thickeners.htm

Their price is at least 1/2 if not more than what I am paying in the store.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘ English Muffins’ is closed to new replies.