Home Forums General Discussion Elevated liver counts

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    redrock
    Participant

Does anyone have elevated liver counts (AST, ALT, Alk P) from being on AP treatment? If so, what do you do about it? I’ve been on Aknemin for a couple months and mine are high.

Maz
    Keymaster

Redrock, I’m hoping Richie can chime in for you. In meantime, can you share if you’re taking anything else? Also your Aknemin dose and diagnosis? It might help to generate replies. Asking about other meds because meds like statins can also cause liver issues. It certainly seems synchronous though that you just started with the new brand recently.

redrock
    Participant

I take Aknemin 100 mg twice a day, every other day for CREST. But I think I’m going to stop taking it and move to something else as my numbers haven’t improved.

Aside from that, I take Nature-throid 2 grains every day (just raised it as despite feeling hyped up, I was actually underdosed and still am). No other meds to speak of. I have chronic pain from a cancer surgery, and I am aware of the dangers of too much Tylenol so I limit that, but occasionally will take Aleve. I’ll take a benadryl maybe once a week to help me sleep if Melatonin isn’t working. I don’t drink much, maybe a glass of wine or two once a week.

Maz
    Keymaster

Yes, good you mentioned being underdosed on your thyroid meds, Redrock. Being either hypothyroid or hyperthyroid can impact liver enzymes if it’s left for too long – lots of literature online about this to research. Here is one study:

Relationship between liver function tests and thyroid hormones in thyroid disorders.

The liver can have a hard time breaking down meds when hypothyroid….all metabolism slows. So, wondering if this might be a clue to discuss with your doc? You should have a better idea once your thyroid stabilizes with the recent increase in thyroid hormone doses and are all in optimal ranges. It can take up to 6 weeks after a thyroid dose increase/decrease to be reflected in labs. I don’t use natural desiccated thyroid but understand that TSH is not a reliable marker and Free T3 and Free T4 are the critical labs to get in good range. The T3 in NDT suppresses artificially TSH which is why labs are usually drawn before this med is taken in the morning to provide a more realistic picture (see info on Stop the Thyroid Madness website). Every dose adjustment with thyroid meds cause new symptoms until everything settles down. Ugh

In the meantime, maybe ask your doc about milk thistle and NAC which can help lower liver enzymes. Do hope this can be rectified by getting your thyroid in line and that it’s not your Aknemin. Further labs to check for autoimmune hepatitis might be wise to get in the meantime.

redrock
    Participant

That’s good to know, Maz, thanks. BTW, my free T3 and free T4 are low, and my TSH is a whopping 9. So I have a ways to go before normalization. I don’t want to increase it too fast though.

Maz
    Keymaster

Yea, not a good idea to raise it too fast! The T3 in it will drive you batty with jitters. Did your doc tell you to come off Aknemin in meantime?

I have a chart I saved about how to safely increase NDT. If I can find it, I’ll post info here for you.

redrock
    Participant

No, but I have some other stuff happening. I was in the ER Friday night. I was walking on the street and had a feeling of disorientation, felt I was going to pass out. I thought I was having an attack of hypoglycemia, something that happens about once a year. I stopped in a deli and had some orange juice, but it didn’t get better, so I took a taxi to the hospital. My blood sugar was 63. They gave me more OJ, kept me a few hours, ran an EKG and chest X-ray (both normal), and some bloodwork showing the thyroid and liver levels. They released me once they were sure my blood sugar had stabilized. Anyway, we have a few things to discuss at the appointment I have with him on Friday.

Maz
    Keymaster

Oh dear, Redrock, poor you! That sounds like it wasn’t fun. Thyroid is certainly connected with all the other endocrine glands and blood sugar levels are no exception. Similarly, this may be worth your time to research before your doc appt? The hypoglycemia may well resolve as your thyroid levels are straightened out.

Here is the info on the NDT chart that was posted on the STTM facebook page. Unfortunately, I’m unable to use the actual jpg here as there is no direct link that I can put in the image function, so I will just type it out for you. The latter points may be most relevant in terms of dosing NDT, but worth discussing these points with the treating doc as everyone is unique.

How to Start NDT

Fix pre-existing issues: iron, cortisol, heavy metals, mold, Lyme…

If on T4 synthetic meds (thyroxine), take a final day, stop.

The next day, start NDT replacement at 1 grain (60 or 65mcg)

Starting dose: 1 grain/day or divided into 2-3 doses. 70% in AM.

Raise by 1/2 grain, every 10-14 days, as hypo symptoms return.

Slow down at 2-3 grains, hold dose for 4-6 weeks, to stabilize.

Check for optimal basic labs (take meds after labs for accuracy)

– Unreliable TSH near zero
    – Frees (FT3 & FT4) mid-to-top range.
    – RT3 low-in-range or FT3/RT3 ratio of >20

You may find a “pooling” or RT3 problem with tests, if you haven’t addressed pre-existing issues, or under mental/physical high stress.

Adjust dose, based upon labs and symptom relief.

Average optimal dose: 3-5 grains (180-360mcg).

redrock
    Participant

Thanks so much. The ER docs seemed to be totally unaware/unconcerned about the connection between the thyroid, blood sugar, and liver seeing it as three separate problems. My alternative doctor luckily takes a more holistic approach.

Maz
    Keymaster

Please keep us updated, Redrock. Thoughts are with you and hope your holistic-minded doc can provide helpful insight for you to get all this turned around asap!

The Effect of Hypothyroidism on Blood Glucose Levels

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.