Home Forums General Discussion Dry skin and hair loss

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    m.
    Participant

@Linda L wrote:

Thank you Lynnie and M.
    The naturopath said that Progesterone would help with my arthritis, dry skin and hair loss. The prescribed one is called
    Progest-E Complex and it is a natural bio-identical oil. On Google it says that you loose weight when taking it. I wouldn’t like to loose more weight. Have you lost weight due to P?
    Linda L.

Hi Linda L.

My understanding is being estrogen dominant (too much E, not enough P to balance) can contribute to middle age weight gain in women.

So, it’s common to read that taking supplemental P will help correct this (help one lose weight).

How many milligrams did your ND recommend you take per day? In a divided or single dose? Topical or sublingual?

Linda L
    Participant

Thank you A Friend and m. It is bio-identical natural progesterone derived from wild yam in vitamin E oil. So it is oil. One drop has 3mg P. The naturopath prescribed 3 drops in the morning and 3 drops in the evening to be taken orally /on gums/ for 20 days in a month. Is it too much?
    Linda L.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

m.
    Participant

@Linda L wrote:

Thank you A Friend and m. It is bio-identical natural progesterone derived from wild yam in vitamin E oil. So it is oil. One drop has 3mg P. The naturopath prescribed 3 drops in the morning and 3 drops in the evening to be taken orally /on gums/ for 20 days in a month. Is it too much?
    Linda L.

The following should be helpful re: dosage and reviewing your NP’s recommendation of 18 mg per day, Linda L.

http://www.johnleemd.com/store/faqs_progest_crm.html

Q: What is the recommended dosage of progesterone?

A: For premenopausal women the usual dose is 15-24 mg/day for 14 days before expected menses, stopping the day or so before menses.

For postmenopausal women, the dose that often works well is 15 mg/day for 25 days of the calendar month.

I found sublingual drops difficult to administer. Someone gave me this tip, and it made the process so much easier for me.

Put the drops on a spoon first, not directly into your mouth. A plastic coated baby spoon works well. That way, you can see that your drops are relatively uniform and your count is correct. If you mess up, you can start over. Then, take the spoon and “wipe” it along the deep pocket between your cheek and gum. Remember to let it absorb. Try not to swallow it, or take a big gulp of something to drink right after.

I have also read of people using the same spoon technique and wiping it on the labia/outer lips of the vulva. Of course, you have to make sure you don’t pee/wipe the dose away.

Also, I set an alarm on my phone to remind me to take my dose.

Good luck!

Linda L
    Participant

Thank you m. Very helpful. I am only confused which one is a real progesterone, because:

Some companies are trying to sell diosgenin, which they label “wild yam extract” as a medicine or supplement, claiming that the body will then convert it into hormones as needed. While we know this can be done in the laboratory, there is no evidence that this conversion takes place in the human body.

I hope that the one I have been prescribed is a real one.
    So is the best option for taking it: first thing in the morning and last in the evening?
    Linda L.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

m.
    Participant

@Linda L wrote:

Thank you m. Very helpful. I am only confused which one is a real progesterone, because:

Some companies are trying to sell diosgenin, which they label “wild yam extract” as a medicine or supplement, claiming that the body will then convert it into hormones as needed. While we know this can be done in the laboratory, there is no evidence that this conversion takes place in the human body.

I hope that the one I have been prescribed is a real one.
    So is the best option for taking it: first thing in the morning and last in the evening?
    Linda L.

Hi Linda L.,

The product your NP recommended, Dr. Peat’s Protest E Complex, appears to be bio-identical progesterone. I wouldn’t worry.

My understanding is the John Lee article I linked is warning against products labeled Wild Yam Extract such as this:

http://www.mynaturalmarket.com/Nature-s-Answer-Wild-Yam-Root-2-fl-oz.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=us_products&gclid=Cj0KEQjwpM2pBRChsZCzm_CU0t4BEiQAxDVFmqZYVHmU8LBmidQaAMjHyvwHMhD_C6km4xvw4TZtz3MaAkBp8P8HAQ

I was told to take my dose twice per day, 12 hours apart, and to pick any set of times that fit conveniently into my schedule. Example: 7 am + 7 pm. Or, if it works better for you, 10 am + 10 pm

Linda L
    Participant

Thank you m.

vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Robert
    Participant

hi Linda

dry skin could be lack of vitamin D,,,most people with r.a. got low levels of vitamin d.,,me included hence my dry skin but not anymore,,eybrows, ears were the worst,,lot better now,,have you had yours checked recently?.Robert

Linda L
    Participant

Robert,
    Some months ago it was 68, some months before that 52. Today when I washed my hair I had a feeling that it was a little bit better.For the last two weeks I have been taking vitamin D3, Calcium and Magnesium Citrate – every second day. So maybe you are right. I will try to take D3 every day and see what happens. Thank you.
    Linda L.

vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Robert
    Participant

Hi Linda

oh it was 68,mine was 65 and the endocrine guy i saw advised i take at least 4x 1000 units and within a few months the dry skin got a lot better,also a lot of people think vitamin D is a vitamin which it is not its a hormone and we need it and as i said most r.a.sufferers have low vitamin d levels so maybe it best for you to bolster your levels as 68 is still low,,think 75 is about minimal.
    i would advise maybe take same as me till you get your levels checked again.good luck Robert.

Linda L
    Participant

Robert,
    So what is a good level? Thank you Robert.
    Linda L.

vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Robert
    Participant

Hi Linda
    50 – 74 is considered low to border line,,above 75 is about normal,,however endocrine guy advised >75 however you want optimal range so would aim for at least 90,,as i said i take 4×1000 but am going to boost it to 6×1000 till i reach at least 90+,,,as i said vitamin d is not a vitamin at all its a steroid hormone and if you got r.a well your vitamin d levels will no doubt be low as you now know,,,90% of r.a. sufferers have low to borderline levels but them doctors rarely check and that includes rheumatologists,,you got to find this out for yourself,sad hey,,,anyway its really important you maximise your vitamin d levels,,,,i was surprised as well,,anyway what a diffrence it made to me,,no more flaky scalp,ears,under eyebrows etc,,,where do you live Linda?,,,another steroid hormone is cortisol also dhea, and testestorone which they dont tell you about and which will no doubt be low as well,,my dhea levels less than half,,cortisol minimum,,testestorone borderline,,,what a mess hey,,,anyway am on to it now. do you see a rheumi or endocrine doc?. Robert.

Robert
    Participant

i see youv also had pneumonia Linda,,,yes me to,,must be at least 3 or 4 times since 2008,,,what about your lungs have you had any scans on them? r.a. goes for your lungs to you know,,they docs or rheumis dont tell you that either,,,mine were and still are affected UIP its called seems i have that as well,,,according to ct scan,,have you had your lungs checked,,if youv had pneumonia 3 times you might be at risk best get it checked,,just a thought ,better to be safe hey. also i see you take that drug methotrexate,,i took that in the beginning it wiped out 50% of my lungs nearly killed me,,they called it methotrexate lung!,,look it up online,,,anyway i dont mean to scare you i am just telling you my experience with that drug,,it was toxic to me,,they dont tell you to stop immediately if you develop a dry non productive cough plus other symptoms,maybe hair loss not sure,,,i always had mouth ulcers on it as well,,anyway i survived but no thanks to the Moron Rheumi who prescribed it to me,,all he had to do was tell me stop immediately if that happend,,apparently none of them tell you this when they prescribe it to you. sad yes but they do.anyway tc.Robert.

Linda L
    Participant

Robert,
    Thank you. I stopped taking Methotraxate three months ago. In my signature you can see my current medications. I have tried to get rid of Prednisone, but it’s very difficult. I keep trying. With lungs I haven’t had Xray for maybe two years. Last November chlamydia pneumonia antibodies were detected, but my GP didn’t do anything about it. I have looked at this result today and it was written that another test should be done after 10-30 days to check if it is past pneumonia or a fresh one. So at the next blood test I will ask for this test to be done again.
    I left my rheumy nearly two years ago. He knew three medications only: MTX, Prednisone and Humira. After being on MTX many years I had 3 or 4 injections of Humira and soon after that I had pneumonia three times. At my last visit when my rheumy asked me again why I didn’t want to continue Humira I asked him, if he could guarantee that I wouldn’t die after that.
    He became furious. He jumped out of his chair, he was running around his room with hands up so angry and red. He told me five times that he couldn’t guarantee me anything. So they poison us and they don’t take any responsibility. What a wonderful job!
    Why do you think I should see an edocrynologist? I’ve never seen one.
    I live in Australia.
    Linda L.

vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

jasregadoo

Gosh the stories I’ve read about angry rheumatologists kind of freak me out. I’m so glad that mine seems to be a gentle and caring person. She’s not terribly familar with AP, though she does say that it is an older method that works for some people, and she is supportive of me giving it a try. I’m very thankful!

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

….and so is sulfasalazine (I notice you’re on it jas). My rheumy (in the days I was still consulting one) in the early 90’s put me on it when no NSAIDs or 2 shots of cortisone made a jot of difference to my intermittent agonising attacks back then(and they never have). He said at the time it had been around for around 40 years – so guess that would make it around 65 years now. I note that rheumies in general don’t seem to have a problem with this one, though many DO seem to have an issue with minocycline

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.