Home Forums General Discussion Dry skin and hair loss

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Linda L
    Participant

I experience a very bad hair loss and dry skin. I have read everything about it on our forum, but maybe someone knows what is more likely to cause it – long term 3mg Prednisolone or Mino. I don’t know what to do. Especially hair loss worries me. Your help will be much appreciated.
    Linda L.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

jasregadoo
    Maz
    Keymaster

Anemia, long term pred use and hypothyroidism could also be major players. Gut health is pivotal to nutrient absorption as well as elimination of gluten (for thyroid) and other dietary offenders, so such a root cause means it could be very beneficial to focus gut healing, especially after long term use of Immunosuppressants. This supp can be very beneficial in this scenario if lactose free and of very good quality, but also supplementing with high grade nutrients.

Linda L
    Participant

Jasregado,
    I have just started Celebrex. Before I was using Naprosyn for a very long time.
    Maz,
    Sorry, what supplement would be beneficial? Yes, probably I need more nutrients, but it is difficult with dairy, gluten and sugar free.

Thanks to you both.
    Linda L.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Linda,

I’m not sure what you have available in Australia in terms of good quality brands of bovine colostrum, but searching for one from grass fed, organic cows is the ideal, with the lactose neutralized. The colostrum should be collected with 6-8 hrs of calving and it’s ideal to take it in an enteric coated capsule, so it gets released lower in the gut. Here is some research pointing to the beneficial effects of bovine colostrum on iron-deficiency anemia, due in large part to enabling improved absorption and transport of dietary iron rather than the toxic effects of taking iron supps.

http://healingresearch.net/2011/04/treat-cancer-and-anemia-naturally-with-lactoferrin/

http://pilladvised.com/2010/03/lactoferrin-reverses-iron-deficiency-anemia/

As colostrum has many other beneficial props, including anti-fungal and anti-microbial ones, starting low and slow with dosing is generally suggested as herxing can occur. This supp has been studied in RA with great results, as it contains immuno-peptides and growth factors that modulate immune function (natural tnf blocking effects), boosting anti-inflammatory cytokines and blocking the not so good ones….thus reducing pain and inflammation over time. I noticed a significant difference within days.

Suggest researching bovine colostrum fully and discussing it with your doctor in relation to your situation in order to make a fully informed decision for yourself. Perhaps others in Australia have found a good brand they can share with you, Linda. Wishing you the best in your searches!

Linda L
    Participant

Maz, thank you very much. I take bovine colostrum but in a powder. I didn’t know that it is better to take it in an enteric coated capsule.
    Linda L.

vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Trudi
    Participant

@Linda L wrote:

I take bovine colostrum but in a powder. I didn’t know that it is better to take it in an enteric coated capsule.

Hi Linda–
    I also take the powdered form. It says on the bottle “Our natural Chymosin process protects and insures bio-availability. Without this natural protection, other colostrum products can be destroyed by stomach acids and offer limited benefits.” This colostrum also comes in capsule form. https://immunetree.com/ This product is definitely stirring things up. I’ve been on it for two weeks. I have had increased knee pain; this is not unusual for me since anytime I take anything immune enhancing (antimicrobial) it shows up on my knees. We’ll see how it continues.

Take care,
    Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Linda L
    Participant

Thank you Trudi and good luck to you too.
    Linda L.

vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

m.
    Participant

A complete thyroid panel is a good idea for a symptom like dry skin + hair loss. With any luck, your physician will not only order TSH, but also FT3 and thyroid antibodies.

In reading about peri-menopause and menopause, it seems depressed levels of progesterone can also depress thyroid. I can’t think of the term off the top of my head, but it was something like peri-menopausal hypothyroidism that usually corrects with progesterone supplementation. So, that’s another area to explore. Sex hormone levels.

Good luck!

Linda L
    Participant

Thank you m.
    Linda L.

vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Linda L
    Participant

I saw a naturopath today recommended by a friend of mine. I was surprised when she suggested Progesterone for my hair loss and dry skin and maybe even a pain / what m, has just written about/. Can I start taking it without any hormone tests? Does anyone have any experience with Progesterone and RA? She doesn’t want me to do any tests and she says that after two months I would know if it is helping. I am confused. In the past I was taking HRT prescribed by my rheumy for years and many times I asked him if I could stop them and he kept telling me that it was important for me to take them.
    I will appreciate any comments.
    Linda L,

vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Linda
    I have been on bio-identical progesterone for 15 years – and will never come off it. It’s worth reading up on its benefits versus the pharmaceutical version. Great for maintaining and promoting bone density and many other things.

For those women who have had hysterectomies and menopausal symptoms, some oestrogen and perhaps other hormones could also be useful.

Did your naturopath give you a reason as to why she recommended progesterone?

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

m.
    Participant

Hi Linda L.

My health care provider likes to do baseline saliva testing before starting any patients on bio-identical hormones, then do another round of saliva tests over the next 6-12 months to see if the dosage is correct, always shooting for normal, physiological amounts appropriate for age.

Having said that, I understand/acknowledge that many (most?) doctors prescribe bio-identical hormones without any pre- or post-testing, or instead of saliva many use serum testing. My doctor feels strongly that serum testing is inaccurate and it’s only a matter of time before saliva testing replaces serum (for hormones).

I’ve been on OTC bio-identical progesterone for years, with mixed success. What I mean by that is a lot of books or articles or forums talk about supplemental progesterone as some magical cure-all, and that has not been my experience. But, like Lynnie, I have no plans to stop taking it. (Bone health!) It has helped ease this time of transition into menopause.

It stopped the heavy flooding periods I was having several years ago in my mid to late 40s. Now that I’m older and closer to menopause, it has helped ease the transition. While my peers complain of hot flashes and terrible sleep, knock on wood, I’ve avoided those symptoms so far.

When I was cycling, per my doctor’s instructions, I took progesterone from Day 16 until Day 28. I took it in a divided dose, 12 hours apart. I just used an OTC brand. P cream at one time. Sublingual pellets another time (since discontinued). As soon as I run out of pellets I’m switching to a topical oil. I don’t have experience with prescription bio-identicals.

I’ll be 52 this year, and my periods are definitely winding down. Irregular and light. About a year or two ago, per my doctor’s recommendation, I switched to a post-menopausal daily dosing pattern, still 12 hours apart, but daily, and lowered my dose a bit. If I get a period, I stop the P during the period, then start back up again.

Back to testing: I have had several saliva tests done over the years. They were somewhat helpful. Once, I caught an overdose of progesterone (I had been taking sublingual drops = very potent). My weight had gone way up and my breasts were very very swollen (don’t let anyone tell you you don’t have to worry about taking too much). The test confirmed I was overdosing.

Another time, with no change in my dose, I was just feeling worse and worse. I took a test and caught elevated estrogens. My doctor had me take milk thistle twice a day and eat more fiber, and cut back on the red wine. On the repeat test 6-9 months later, the estrogens had come down.

At Dr. John Lee’s site, he says progesterone activates estrogen receptors and when P is introduced, it’s not uncommon for women to feel worse at first. That’s because adding the P activates the E receptors, allowing the body to “feel” the estrogen dominance more acutely. This corrects with time (months).

I have also read that progesterone is anti-inflammatory and that there’s a connection between P and RA, as evidenced by RA “going away” during pregnancy (when P levels are very high). I don’t have a source for you on that and don’t remember where I read it.

I hope that helps!

Linda L
    Participant

Thank you Lynnie and M.
    The naturopath said that Progesterone would help with my arthritis, dry skin and hair loss. The prescribed one is called
    Progest-E Complex and it is a natural bio-identical oil. On Google it says that you loose weight when taking it. I wouldn’t like to loose more weight. Have you lost weight due to P?
    Linda L.

vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

A Friend
    Participant

Hello Linda L,

I just peeked at the board, but am rushing and cannot write more today. I wanted to bring to your attention some basics I’ve found over the years to be involved in the symptoms you have, and we who are ill have had — whether we were aware of them or not.

Though I had always worked to maintain a healthy, balanced diet, health related problems still were (can) cause our bodies to become overly acidic and this uses up all our minerals — especially magnesium. And being overly acidic can cause a body that unfriendly organisms can grow and multiply in… not a healthy body!

On the 1st page of the Bulletin Board, I encourage you to do individual searches in the little search window (top/left) with each of the following: (many previous posts will show up for you to read/skim through). The very fact that we become ill tells us that we are overly acidic, and this condition quickly can deplete needed minerals and other nutrients.

Do searches for these subjects one at a time, and you should find many posts that can lead to correction and restoration of healthier skin, hair, and especially health of our bodies (each of these can have an effect on each other, and to our body overall):

Acidic pH
    Magnesium deficiency
    Yeast Fungal overgrowth

Good luck!
    AF

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.