Home Forums General Discussion Doxycycline Shortages

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Maz
    Keymaster

Thus article was updated in May, so unsure of status now, but worth reading if you take doxycycline for your AP or Lyme treatments:

http://www.ashp.org/menu/DrugShortages/CurrentShortages/Bulletin.aspx?id=977

richie
    Participant

Hi This is pure propaganda —-there is no shortage at all –The drug companies needed some reason to account for the massive increases in the cost and I am talking generic as well as brand —it is obscene what the cost of doxy is now comp-ared to say two years ago –these companies just hold back inventory from the market –this so-called shortage is totally artificia!!
    richie

Maz
    Keymaster

Richie, if pharmaceuticals are holding back supplies to price hike, that means there are still shortages. It doesn’t appear to be propaganda, just a report on where the market stands on supplies of various brands. I’m not sure what you’re saying…are you saying pharma is trying to profit out of patients by intentionally holding back or stopping production?

richie
    Participant

Hi For sure pharma is trying to profit –IN 2013 a major maker of doxy {HKIMA} was closed down in the US by the government –this did in fact create a very short lived shortage –the price spiked about 20 –60 times the old cost –production evened out and prices never were rolled back —In the US inventories are carefully controlled as to keep the price elevated —There is no shortage –my pharmacist as well as my many contacts in the drug industry all say no real shortage but prices are still way up —In India alone there are 21 makers of doxy and more jumping in -no one is dumping or cut the price and they are all selling at big prices —-A good example of this is that no one here has ever reported not being able to obtain doxy generic –AS a matter of fact CVS Health and Cardinal Health have combined to create one buying group to obtain lower prices —plenty of doxy around now –its become real profitable

Maz
    Keymaster

Oh, okay, I see what you’re saying, Richie. I guess pharma giants are immune to the usual unfair business practice laws. Incredible that the FDA doesn’t have tighter control over this type of subversive profiteering.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.