Home Forums General Discussion Doxycycline brand

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    aboyer
    Participant

I’m thinking of switching minocycline to doxycycline. What is a good brand of doxy that everyone has good results with?

Diagnosed with severe RA 12 years ago
    Tested positive for M. pneumoniae and C. pneumoniae

Current meds: Kineret 100mg, doxycycline 50mg, cbd oil, and celebrex

Supplements: fish oil, vitamin b12, folate, b6, iron, selenium, zinc, vitamin c, and biotin

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

Why are you thinking of switching to doxycycline?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

aboyer
    Participant

To avoid the head pressure that minocycline causes

Supplements: fish oil, vitamin b12, folate, b6, iron, selenium, zinc, vitamin c, and biotin

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

I can suggest a few generics for you to consider. There are two kinds of doxycyline pills on the market — doxycycline hyclate and doxycycline monohydrate. Doxycycline hyclate is the kind that is usually prescribed. Doxycycline monohydrate is a type of doxy that is supposedly gentler on the stomach. In the past it was considerably more expensive than doxycycline hyclate; however, that is no longer true. Unfortunately, due to the historically higher price, the insurance co-pay for doxycycline monohydrate may be higher. Which is actually kind of crazy because people who pay for their prescriptions out of pocket could potentially save money by requesting doxycycline monohydrate (the doctor must prescribe that kind).

Doxycycline hyclate:
    Greenstone (capsules), Mylan (capsules & tablets), Teva (capsules & tablets; made in India)

Doxycycline monohydrate:
    Mylan (tablets), Par (capsules & tablets), Ranbaxy (tablets), Teva (capsules)

Out of the generics listed above, my personal preference would be to choose Greenstone or Par. Also, I did some additional checking; it appears that doxycycline monohydrate capsules are currently the least expensive form of doxycycline (in the U.S.).

Note: Teva doxycycline was previously Actavis doxycycline (and Watson before that).

Phil

- Albert Einstein

aboyer
    Participant

Thank you for that information. What dose of doxy are you taking ?

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

I don’t take doxycycline anymore, but when I did I was taking 100 mg per day. If I ever switch back to doxy, I will take twice that dose. However, the dose that I took most likely would not be an appropriate starting dose for you.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Steven
    Participant

Phil,

Just curious, why do you recommend those particular doxycycline brands?

I’ve been on doxy for a couple of years (minocycline before that) and it seems that CVS has started substituting the Actavis (DAN 4550) that I had been getting with Mutual 105, which I gather is manufactured by Sun Pharmaceuticals.

Anybody have any thoughts about this?

Steven

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Steven,

In general, I try to avoid, as much as possible, things like corn starch, dyes, and drugs made overseas. Greenstone is a special case — they’re owned by Pfizer (the manufacturer of Vibramycin).

The doxy you are taking now is made in Hungary by ALKALOIDA Chemical Company Zrt. Even though it’s not one of the generics I recommended, it may be OK.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Steven
    Participant

Phil,

Thanks for the clarification.

Steven

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.