Home Forums General Discussion doxy or other tetras

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    JustDiagnosedChris
    Participant

I’ve done well on mino as you all know. I do want to talk to Dr. F. About doxycycline though. Since I have such a slow moving Case of SD I was hoping that maybe a simple switch to something my body can handle better would be a good idea. I have read a lot of testimonials of people who used Doxy and it worked well for them. I’m having faith that it will work out. I also am getting a prescription for some potassium citrate from my URO to keep the kidney stones from forming. I saw an Opthamologist who said he thinks my eye problems are occurring between my brain and eye and he thinks its a blood flow issues maybe due to the SD

richie
    Participant

The drug of choice for scleroderma is minocycline –if one cant handle minocycline then doxy is a second choice —
    r

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Chris;
    First came tetracycline,over the years it was improved and we got Doxy,a few more improvements and we got Mino.They are working on a fourth generation in the same family but God only knows who will be able to afford it.Each one is a bit better than the previous.

may8
    Participant

Hi Chris,

You mentioned eye problems, can you tell me what symptoms you are experiencing ? I have sjogren’s and the opth. Recently fx cataract in L eye. I have very dry eyes and use natural tears.

Minocycline HCL 200 mg daily
    Imuran 100 mg daily
    Adalat XL 20 mg daily
    Prevacid 30 mg
    Pilocarpine 5 mg
    Probiotic, multi vit, vit c, omega 3, d3, b12

JustDiagnosedChris
    Participant

About 10 years ago, my first abnormal ocular symptoms showed up. I started getting what I can best describe as the residual visuals you get after a camera flashes at you, only it would just happen out of nowhere. Then at age 17 I was diagnosed with an increase in intraocular pressure. I had been wearing glasses since age 11, mind you.

Around age 18( or 19) I began to see clear lines in my vision, like if you can just imagine transparent lines through your vision. Then I started getting night blindness, as well as halos around most every light I look at. At age 20 I noticed that those transparent lines are now constantly in the lower outer corners of both of my eyes, like curved parallel lines. This happened for the first time after taking some blood pressure medication.

I also deal with this constant build up of stringy gooey stuff in my tear ducts, like constantly. And my eyes are always dry feeling. Also, my pupils are very small all the time, much more than they were as a younger person. That’s all of the eye symptoms I’ve had.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Chris,
    @JustDiagnosedChris wrote:

I’ve done well on mino as you all know. I do want to talk to Dr. F. About doxycycline though. Since I have such a slow moving Case of SD I was hoping that maybe a simple switch to something my body can handle better would be a good idea.

I think it’s a very good idea. Since your body doesn’t handle mino well, a switch to doxy would probably allow you to take a higher dose. There are at least three other tetracycline antibiotics that you could take besides doxycycline, but I think doxy is the best candidate because it can be taken with food.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.