Home Forums General Discussion Doxy dosage

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    aboyer
    Participant

I have 50mg of doxy for RA. Should I start taking 50mg everyday or 100mg mwf? What dosing schedule has worked for everyone?

Diagnosed with severe RA 12 years ago
    Tested positive for M. pneumoniae and C. pneumoniae

Current meds: Kineret 100mg, doxycycline 50mg, cbd oil, and celebrex

Supplements: fish oil, vitamin b12, folate, b6, iron, selenium, zinc, vitamin c, and biotin

Maz
    Keymaster

Aboyer, can you let us know your diagnosis, as well as degree of severity? Are you taking anything else, medicine or supplement-wise? It can help to have a few more deets so that people who relate to your situation can respond with their experiences. Thanks!

If you get a chance, adding a signature line that shows up each time you post can help save you time, too. Simple to follow instructions about how to do this are at the top of the General Discussion threads.

aboyer
    Participant

I have severe RA for 11 years. I’m currently taking kineret for it. My supplements are vitamin d, folate, b12, b6, magnesium, fish oil, zinc, and msm. I’ll try and add the signature line. I did test positive for 2 microplasma infections as well.

Supplements: fish oil, vitamin b12, folate, b6, iron, selenium, zinc, vitamin c, and biotin

Maz
    Keymaster

Depending on how well your RA is being controlled by Kineret and, if you have any GI symptoms from it, this might influence your decision on how to dose your AP. In RA, where there is a lot of inflammation, Dr. Brown would start “low and slow” on dose to avoid major herxing (e.g. 50mg on M-W-F or even lower if very sensitive). This low pulsed dosing is because mycoplasma are slow-growing and slow-replicating, so don’t need daily dosing. Doses can then be increased slowly over time to tolerance. However, when someone is on a biologic or other immune suppressant, a tetracycline antibiotic is unable to work as effectively for bug killing, because it is a “bacteriostatic” that works to disable (not kill) intracellular and cell wall deficient bugs (like mycoplasma) and needs the immune system to locate, kill, and carry away the dead bugs. Due to this, doctors will often prescribe minocycline or doxycycline on a daily basis to folks on immune suppressant medications, so they can reap the benefit of the antibiotic as a DMARD (for its immune modulating effects). This said, as each person’s response will be unique, it is not a bad idea to start low and slow and, once established (and any break thru herxing has died down), to gradually increase the dose to tolerance.

There have been people here who have done fine on daily dosing, right out of the gate, usually when pre-existing inflammation is low. On the flip side, some folks are highly sensitive initially and have no choice but to dial back their dose when herxing becomes too much. So, a good rule of thumb is to start low and slow, because it’s easier to dial the dose up to tolerance than to dial it back when in the midst of herxing. Hope that helps with some ideas to bounce off your doc, aboyer.

Do you get any abdominal/GI discomfort from the Kineret? If so, you might want to also be aware that doxy is more bio available on an empty stomach, but that some people experience nausea from it. If that’s the case, taking a higher dose, with food might be necessary to avoid this, but it’s something that isn’t known till one starts.

aboyer
    Participant

Thank you so much. This was very informative. I appreciate your feedback.

Linda L
    Participant

Is Kinneret a biologic medication?
    Linda L

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Linda, it’s Kineret (search for it with one “n” – otherwise something completely different comes up) and yes it’s one of the biological medications: See here:
    http://www.rheumatology.org/I-Am-A/Patient-Caregiver/Treatments/Anakinra-Kineret

Worth noting that, as of 2010, this particular one has been deleted in Australia from the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) and I believe is now only available on private prescription. See link below for details:
    https://www.nps.org.au/radar/articles/anakinra-kineret-to-be-deleted-from-the-pbs

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.