Home Forums General Discussion Does anyone take zinc supplementation?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    redrock
    Participant

I just found out I have low testosterone and I heard zinc may raise my levels. But I’m worried it is not good for those with autoimmune issues?

DragonSlayer
    Participant

Hello, redrock:

I take zinc nearly every day. It is a very necessary mineral.

I just found out I have low testosterone and I heard zinc may raise my levels. But I’m worried it is not good for those with autoimmune issues?

Zinc, well I don’t think it is directly connected with testosterone, but there is an important prostate need for it in no mean quantity the more active we are. There is, however, no really proven or effective substitute for the hormone testosterone and if there were, I would have found it by now (long-time LowT sufferer; “metabolic-X syndrome”) and would gladly tell You about it. Don’t believe the hype and go to a compounding pharmacy for 10% cream (depending, of course, upon some competent doctor’s advice).

HEALTH,
    John

redrock
    Participant

Umm I’m female, LOL. But we can have low test as well and its not any better for us!

jaminhealth
    Participant

I take Zinc daily, but for the test hormone, DHEA seems to take care of it all. I’ve been taking DHEA for many years under doc’s guidelines…..get my DHEA tested annually with labs. DHEA has kept me pretty vital at 74, old gal that I’ve become.

jaminhealth
    Participant

I take Zinc daily, but for the test hormone, DHEA seems to take care of it all. I’ve been taking DHEA for many years under doc’s guidelines…..get my DHEA tested annually with labs. DHEA has kept me pretty vital at 74, old gal that I’ve become.

PhilC
    Participant

I take zinc and copper every day. Large doses of zinc can lead to a copper deficiency; that’s why I take both. The best form of zinc is zinc picolinate.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Krys
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

I take zinc and copper every day. Large doses of zinc can lead to a copper deficiency; that’s why I take both. The best form of zinc is zinc picolinate.

I take zinc once in a while, mostly because I have no idea how much copper to take and I don’t know how much zinc my body needs. But in the flu season I take zinc or both zinc and copper and always wonder if I’m helping my body or messing it up with maybe the wrong ratio.
    Phil, do you know how much of each would be best?
    Krys

redrock
    Participant

Do those of you who take zinc have autoimmune issues and if so is that a concern, i.e. doesn’t zinc ramp up the immune system?

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Krys,
    @Krys wrote:

Phil, do you know how much of each would be best?
    Krys

No, I don’t know. All I can tell you is that I take 22 or 25 mg of zinc (as picolinate) twice a day and 2 mg of chelated copper twice a day.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

jaminhealth
    Participant

Phil and all, I had a mineral panel done in 2005 and my zinc level was in a good place. I normally take 25mg Zinc daily and need to get some copper I’m out now. I had a 2mg copper supplement.

Getting a whole mineral panel would be a good thing to do if one can afford it, thinking back I had to pay out of pocket back in 2005…like $200 or so. Things change and perhaps some insurance would cover. That blood test tells a lot re: minerals. jam

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.