Home Forums General Discussion doctors appt received rx

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ellie6
    Participant

I met with my doctor and she reluctantly prescribed minocycline 50mg. She also wants me to do another course of rifaximin for my SIBO. She said I can take both but Im concerned. I will continue on fluconazole for yeast but have a tough time tolerating probiotics.
    Funny I couldn’t wait to get the rx for mino but now I’m feeling nervous about starting it. Such a bad experience in the past with antibiotics..of course the dose was much higher then. I was thinking of starting at just once a day every other day??

richie
    Participant

What type of doctor is she ????
    richie

ellie6
    Participant

Integrative

Maz
    Keymaster

@ellie6 wrote:

I met with my doctor and she reluctantly prescribed minocycline 50mg. She also wants me to do another course of rifaximin for my SIBO. She said I can take both but Im concerned. I will continue on fluconazole for yeast but have a tough time tolerating probiotics.
    Funny I couldn’t wait to get the rx for mino but now I’m feeling nervous about starting it. Such a bad experience in the past with antibiotics..of course the dose was much higher then. I was thinking of starting at just once a day every other day??

Hi Ellie,

According to drugs.com there are no known interactions with those three meds:

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1636-0,2014-0,1096-630

Dr. Brown would start off some very hypersensitive patients as low as 50mg mino once or twice a week with a view to gradually increasing the dose to tolerance. The basic protocol he used was 100mg mino or doxy 3 times per week, for e.g. on Mon-Wed-Fri (MWF). If tolerated well, though, a higher dose can sometimes be more beneficial for some folks. I found 100mg twice a day on MWF worked really well in combo with low dose zith (250mg pulsed in on Tues and Thurs). Titrating dose to patient tolerance can be a critical aspect of successful treatment and there is no one-size-fits all. It is, however, far easier to dial up the dose gradually to patient tolerance than to slam a person with a lot of inflammation with high doses. Of course, this can also depend a lot on the bug being treated. Mycoplasma is a slow-growing, slow replicating bug and doesn’t need daily dosing (unless it’s an acute form of the infection). Lyme, on the other hand, is a different kettle of fish. 😉

m.
    Participant

I started out with a low dose. Just 50 mg Doxy on MWF. Some people seem to do okay starting with higher doses.

I forget, but was your SIBO & yeast confirmed by testing?

What are your doctor’s plans for reseeding the gut flora after the course of rifaximin?

ellie6
    Participant

Yes my SIBO was confirmed by a breth test and my candida was showing up as high antibodies in blood testing. Unfortunately my doc has not mentioned any preventative measures for me to use after finishing hte rifaximin even though I have asked. I went ahead and started the rifaximin but decidedcto wait a little while on the mino.

ellie6
    Participant

Well I havebeen on the rifaximin for about a week and I have not felt this good in a long time. My severe SI joint pain is practically gone. Im confused as to why the rifaximin helped it and also afraid it won’t last.

m.
    Participant

@ellie6 wrote:

Well I havebeen on the rifaximin for about a week and I have not felt this good in a long time. My severe SI joint pain is practically gone. Im confused as to why the rifaximin helped it and also afraid it won’t last.

Nevertheless, good news! People have reported, even before knowing about AP, that it puzzled them as to why they would feel so good on a course of antibiotics.

There is so much exciting info coming out about what lives in our GI tract, and how different combos of microbes might contribute to mood problems, allergies, autoimmune disease, food intolerances, diabetes, obesity….

Perhaps the rifaximin has decreased a population that was contributing to inflammation. Who knows! I bet that within our lifetime we’re going to see dramatic leaps forward in understanding the connection between the microbes within us, and wellness/disease.

What’s the plan after the rifaximin?

ellie6
    Participant

There really isn’t one. I have asked about using a prokinetic after but my doc has not supported this. I have made some diet changes as well that may be helping. No more almond milk or almond butter.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.