Home Forums General Discussion Do you herx from Clindamycin Oral / IV ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Valsmum
    Participant

I’m having a bit of a hard time herxing with mino and zithromax. I was wondering if you herx when using clindamycin, I have a new prescription of oral clindy but I would kind of like to hear if anyone had a bad herx from clindy. Why doesn’t anyone seem to herx from clindamycin IV’s ? I didn’t seem to herx from clindy IV. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    -Sheri

– I asked my dr about it and he told me that I can certainly herx from clindamycin, but I always like to hear someone’s personal experience 🙂

vera
    Participant

Hi Valsmum,

I am looking forward to hearing a response to your question as well. I’ve just ordered oral Cleocin from Canada, and will start it soon.

I tried the IV clindy (June 2011) but my blood pressure skyrocketed after the first dose, and I got a bad headache. My dentist put on me generic clindy about a week or two ago for an abscessed tooth, but at a lower dose than prescribed for my PsA. I didn’t have a reaction to it, but I’ll be taking twice as much once it arrives (1200 mg/one day a week).

Hope someone chimes in!

Lori

nspiker
    Participant

Valsmum and Lori,

I didn’t respond initially because I have only tolerated IV Clindamycin. Oral Clindy was tough on my gut. I have not herxed on IV Clindamycin, just improved. It’s kind of a miracle drug for me. Hope you guys find it works well for you too

Nancy

Valsmum
    Participant

Nancy,

I am hoping it is a miracle drug for me too. I am waiting for my clindy IV, but it takes awhile to get it all approved I guess, I had a cdc positive lyme test this past June so I don’t think it should be that hard ??? Who knows.

I took some oral clindamycin with food and it wasn’t so bad on my gut, so now I am going to keep trying to take it that way because on an empty stomach it is impossible for me.

Lori,
    You’ll have to share your experience with me.I hope the best for you and I hope you don’t herx. My llmd told me I could herx from it, last year I had one week of clindamycin for my RA and I did not have a herx reaction. So I am hoping it gives me some relief and I start feeling better soon.

Thanks guys,
    Sheri

vera
    Participant

Nancy and Sheri,

Thanks for your input! I’m glad your experiences have been positive so far. Yes, I’ll let you know how the oral clindy goes. I ordered it from Universal Drugstore in Canada, and they said the name brand Cleocin that they sell comes from Turkey. They asked me several times if that was OK. Well, I sure hope it’s ok! not quite sure what they were getting at. I wonder if all Cleocin is made there? It was way too expensive to buy here in the U.S. through my insurance, so will give it a go. 🙄

Lori

spicybumper
    Participant

I had the clindy iv’s middle of June & improved greatly. Much less pain in my feet, improved vision, energy, but after my monthly clindy iv of 600 mg I really got stiff, vision got worse & so did feet. I just had my second monthly iv this time 900 mg & I am much better. Am I having a herx or a flare? How do you tell the difference?

spicybumper
    scleroderma; mino 200 mg M W F & 125 mg zith T TH

spicybumper
    Participant

I continue 900 mg of Clindymicin every 3 weeks and every 6 months I do my “two a days” when I get 900 mg of clindy 2 Xs a day for 5 days. With each iv drip I improve sometimes just a little sometimes a lot. When I read some of the stories on RB about people who did not start early & do not do the iv drips, I feel very fortunate.

Right now I am struggling with Reynauds & I am taking 1000 mg of flushless niacin 1 X daily to increase circulation along with NSAIDs once or twice daily. I don’t like taking the NSAIDs, but need to get swelling in my hands down & get rid of blue fingernails. (The Niacin has done that.)

Energy returning. There was a time when I could not hang up my towel after a shower much less towel dry off. I think my eyesight is getting better, but sometimes these improvements are so slight that it is hard to tell. I can fully turn my neck to see traffic over my shoulder & there was a time I was thinking I might need to give up driving.

Would love to hear from anyone with SD on clindy iv & mino. Would like to compare herxing & improvements. 😛

lor
    Participant

Hi,

I also am very interested in the IV clindy. I have emailed Ida Grove Doc about it and he got back to me right away. I have been treated for Lyme for almost 7 yrs with oral abx. I almost got better a few times, but I am at my worst ever now. I guess I am older also. 55 yrs old. I have never tried the IV’s. Scared I guess. And it would be hard to find a Dr in my area to continue the IV’s. It sounds like most here have improved quite a bit on the IV’s?

Thanks
    lori

spicybumper
    Participant

To find a local doc (my rheumy won’t give the iv) look for a doctor who gives iv drips for other things & has an operation setup for this purpose. They clearly believe in the value of iv’s & are more open to using them on a regular basis. I am so glad I made the decision to go to Ida Grove. These clindy iv’s seem to be crucial to getting scleroderma under control. I have seen a lot of progress.
    Good luck to you in locating a way to get the iv. Trying to get necessary treatment for these diseases can be difficult at times.
    Jean

lor
    Participant

Hi Jean,
    So the IV’s were well worth the trip to Ida Grove?? It would be a 12 hrs one way, trip for me. And a week off of work. It just seems I have tried everything but IV’s.

Thanks for your info and time.
    lori

spicybumper
    Participant

For me the iv’s are well worth it. Before you do it try to have someone at home so that you can do the monthly iv’s for a follow-up. I am very fortunate that I have a doctor here who does the follow up and I have done the 5 day iv’s once since I went out to Ida Grove. I flew out and back & it was exhausting. I want to go out again, but I can get it done here at home this next time & then later drive out with my husband after he retires.

cavalier
    Participant

IV did the most for me – been trying Zithromax & Mino pulsing in the Zithromax twice a week as I have veins that blow & are so tricky – but neither are slowing down the SD for me. Am hoping the Lab work comes in soon that Dr S. ran in March to see what shows up. I also did a recent IGNEX Lyme test thru a local doc as he said maybe it may help shed some light on things he wonders if I have built up a resistance to the levels of the AP I am on that it killed off the grandfathers but now the grandkids have built up a resistance to this level.
    Meantime I got a silver filling out yesterday & 2 nickel stainless crowns – from a IOMAT biological dentist 2 more of these crowns to go still.

Jill SD

spicybumper
    Participant

Jill,
    Have you ever tried the Marshall Protocol? I went through it & did very well until I think I began to have malabsorption (which is what Dr S in Iowa said.) I seemed to hold the SD for about 2 1/2 years. When I stopped seeing progress I decided to get the IV drips. I hope you find the combination that does the trick for you.
    I have never done anything with my fillings, but I have a mouth full. Our family has awful teeth.
    Jean

cavalier
    Participant

Hi – I did the marshall Protocol for about 4 1/2 months – no Vit D & no sun – which being on AP was not hard to do & I changed my BP med to Benicar, not as high as the MP calls for but none the less I felt to start off with whatever it comes in have to get the bottle but 40 or 50 mg’s – my BP rose up by 10 pts after about a month or so in – I continued doing the rest – but my SD advanced like crazy during this time both in skin involvement & new symptoms, while on AP minoc. & zith, right after I did the Clindy IV for the 1st time & only time – 3 wk’s later after the IV i was advancing quite fast.

i have heard of someone else who went into remission while on the MP but the thing is with SD sometimes there is just remission – for bit – I got that reprieve myself once yr’s ago with Cholostrum & Lactoferrin but it may have just been into remission regardless.

I need to contact Dr S. again who I hate to keep bugging but I think I need to touch base. the doc I saw in Ms. recently who was on the road back doc’s list for over 10 yr’s & still supports also suggested that the Cowden liquids sometimes gets bugs that other med’s either the bugs get to be resistant too or just the combo of more than one bug involved. He did give me the opinion that my previous hysterectomy (Endometriosis & precancer of the cervix) that low progesterone & yeast are always involved in those problems.
    i am now on Progesterone cream as of this last 4 wk’s for just that low P. & I had not considered yeast being involved but it certainly could be a player – which AP wont get needs to be antifungal so this is where the Nutramedix by Dr Cowden can come in they have some antifungals – i have taken acylivor ( spelling) before without much success for shingles which also is viral / fungal.

Obviously many microbials can take our immune system out of regulation.
    I would like my immune to start to take over again if I can – which the AP is certainly important I need my immune to eventually be able to start to do the work again.

The thing that makes this tough going is not knowing for sure what bugs are involved in my case – I think each of us could be a bit different I keep hoping the tests that Dr S. ran come in soon I think that info would be helpful to know.

Thanks for the suggestion & wish you continued improvements.
    Jill SD

cavalier
    Participant

Jean – I posted some info on the board about Nickel in teeth which is commonly found in stainless steel which was & still is in 2 of my crowns l removed the other 2 yesterday – those last 2 will be coming out in about 3 to 4 wk’s. I also posted about Amalgms or silver fillings AKA mercury also can cause the infectious component that can be a trigger to SD so you might want to look at those 2 topics they are in the 2nd & 3rd maybe now 4th page of the board.

A good friend of mine has Lupus & her mouth she says is full of metal – she recently had a Heart attack she never thought one thing about what is in her mouth but those metals do off gas & they are carried past just the mouth.

When I did the Clindy IV up in Ia. about 15 hr’s from home each way – with Dr S. what stood out to me was the metal taste I was told to expect this when I did the IV – but it would go away afterwards – what stood out that they said no one has ever told them this was I had metal taste in my mouth constantly the whole time – I had to hold heavily flavored gum at nite even in my mouth or I would wake up gagging from the metal taste – they said the nurses one had been there 30 yr’s doing this no patient has ever had this happen like that. I took that as a sign – I then read when the toxic levels of metals are high this can persist.

I am also doing chelation by suppositories Detoxamin for the last 2wk’s now – 3 times a week – I have seen some lessening of my skin lesions but I have a long ways to go still – but Dr Carter who is not a AP doc but intergrative was correct that I needed to include this in order to get the excess calcium deposits out of my vascular. Things didn’t get this way over nite so it will take some time but during that time I need to try to keep things from advancing.
    jill SD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.