Home Forums General Discussion Diet

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Linda L
    Participant

I have been on a very strict diet nearly two months. I don’t notice any improvement to my pain. I had a new huge blood test yesterday /nine tubes/
    Being no gluten, no dairy, no sugar, no meat, no EGGS so long, shouldn’t I know by now if it helps? I hate this diet. I don’t cheat.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

jasregadoo

Hi Linda,

I also tried a strict diet and noticed zero difference in symptoms. I have heard that for rheumatic patients it can take longer than for the average person to see a difference. I suspect that it does not help everyone, and that we are all different with different causes and solutions.

I have a friend who had joint pain, though not RA that was diagnosed, and he went gluten free for something else entirely. His joint pain went away within a few days.

Personally, I also hated the diet, and I was a little bit relieved that it didn’t make a difference for me. It meant I didn’t have to stick with it.

I’m sorry that AP didn’t work for you, and I see that you stuck with it for over a year. Are you seeing an experienced AP doctor? I wonder if your doctor might have other ideas that might be helpful.

Best,

Julie

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

Just like Jasregadoo, I have not yet figured out a dietary change that has helped my RA but everyone is different. I am certainly open to all possibilities…but I first went into remission for 9 years without a dietary change and only AP and am quickly approaching remission again with no dietary change and only AP. I know certain dietary changes help many rheumatic patients but for me it did not. It’s good to test everything as I believe we are all different. As far as length…I know there are others on here that are gluten free and I believe they have stated that it takes several months for the body to eliminate the gluten antibodies…so maybe you just haven’t given your changes enough time to evaluate?

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

Linda L
    Participant

Thank you to you both. Yes, we are all different, but probably more similar. The thing is we don’t know what is sitting inside. The tests we do have different parameters for us /eg. people with arthritis/ and different for the really ill people, when doctors might suspect a very infectious disease. It is the opinion of one of the best doctors here dealing with the the infectious diseases. These more sophisticated tests are very expensive now. In the future it should become cheaper and then more accessible for everybody.
    I am seeing a naturopathy doctor. I must keep this diet for three months. With so many tests I hope they will find something.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

I hope you get the answers you need Linda. Many blessings to you. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Linda
    Removing gluten from my diet is probably the single most effective thing I have done for myself outside of abx (even though I have eliminated other things in my diet too.A few years after doing this, I had the test for celiac/coeliac – and I have 2 of the 4 genes. (These days, if I inadvertently ingest gluten, I notice symptoms within an hour. My stomach bloats considerably. I then get mild diarrhoea and my joints play up for a couple of days).

2 months is not long enough for gluten elimination. You need 12 weeks at least for the antibodies the body produces to completely clear. And you MUST be completely free of all gluten for that time – and it is very easy to ingest small amounts of hidden gluten. It’s in almost everything that’s packaged (it’s the world’s cheapest binding agent).

Have you had tests that have indicated you have sensitivities to all the things you have eliminated?

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Linda L
    Participant

Thank you Whale and Lynnie. I think I am strict with this diet, but I will check all products I eat again. Maybe there is something hidden.
    I had a test for five foods.

vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Yes, it’s worth being strict to make the sacrifices worthwhile and get to really see what is helping/hindering. I made a lot of mistakes at first.

It also sounds as if you have a raft of complications in your situation. And, over the years, having heard about a lot of individual situations, I would say that many people with complex chronic illness do seem to have developed both gut issues (primarily Leaky Gut) and other sensitivities to chemicals etc.

Good article on Leaky Gut, causes etc here by one of the acknowledged experts on this:
    Leaky Gut

Be well! Lynnie

rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Linda L
    Participant

Thank you Lynnie. It is an excellent article. I wished i could see Dr Galland! My doctor has prescribed Toxaprevent in capsules.

vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Valsmum
    Participant

Linda,
    I have learned a few things about diet after living with RA for 7 years. Avoiding foods is just as important as adding healing fresh raw fruits and veggies. When you juice raw green veggies and carrots it is easily digested and its molecular structure similar to our blood . With Gerson Therapy patients juice 15 pounds of veggies a day. I can feel the difference if I skip a fresh juice, it is SO helpful tha I can even fudge on the no no foods. I d not like cleaning the juicer but I can do it in four minutes and it REALLY helps. Also, I started making two juices at once and drinking them one right after the other, so I can ensure that I got two juices in that day. I shoot for three.I am no longer anemic and some of my frozen joints are no longer frozen or swollen.

Linda L
    Participant

Thank you Val. I am going to finish my three month very strict diet soon. I think it has been too much for me. Since I started being gluten and dairy free I lost 11 kg and I have been always a slim person. I feel I don’t eat enough and I have nutrition deficiency now. One evening I had one egg /not allowed for me now/ and next morning I felt so well. It made such a big difference. My doctor of naturoapathy told me not to eat too many fruit due to sugar content. I eat many veggies. I suspect that drinking veggies juices would speed up my digestive system. Is it the case? If so I wouldn’t like it. I would lose more weight.

vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Linda – if you were already very slim and have lost 11kg (over 24 pounds) that is a lot of weight to lose. It sounds like you may not be getting sufficient protein (not that easy to do on a vegetarian diet and you need all 9 amino acids) and possibly insufficient fats/fatty acids. When you had the egg and felt so much better, that, for me, is an indication that protein and/or fat needs to be addressed in your diet – because it doesn’t seem to be about calorie intake

One egg has only 75 calories but 7 grams of high-quality protein, 5 grams of fat, and 1.6 grams of saturated fat, along with iron, vitamins, minerals, and carotenoids

nutrition in eggs

Be well! Lynnie

Linda L
    Participant

Thank you Lynnie and you are right. I dream about fat meat, something fat. I admit this diet is very difficult for me. I told my new natural doctor that I had lost a lot of weight already and she told me to contact the pharmacy about protein powder. I take this powder in liquid every day. It is based on peas. I am a meat-eater and I had meat 2-3 times a week before. I have made hummus, I eat smoked salmon, fried fish, veggies, different food “gluten and dairy free” from a supermarket, I drink cacao every second day. I really eat and I don’t skip meals time. My appointment is in two weeks and I hope she will stop this diet.
    The best source to get 9 essential amino acids is from meat and eggs.

vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.