Home Forums General Discussion Did anyone develop c-difficile with ap therapy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    redknee
    Participant

I saw my rheumatologist last week for a check up and asked her about AP therapy. She told that they don’t use minocycline or other such drugs as there are more potent drugs and better drugs than those. Besides, she said that you can develop C-difficile. Anyway, she was not going to go that route. I seems the only doctors willing to use AP therapy are naturopathic physicians and that of course is not covered in our medical plan. How do you prevent c-difficile?

jasregadoo

I can’t speak to c-difficile, as I’ve never heard of it and haven’t read up on it, so I will be interested to see what others here have to say on the matter.

I’d say though, that if you’re interested in going the AP route, perhaps try talking to another rheumatologist, or maybe your GP. My rheumatologist isn’t very familiar with the protocol, but she is willing to let me try it at least. And I know some have gone the GP route rather than their Rheumy.

richie
    Participant

Hi There definitely are rheumatologists who use an AP approach –not all over the place but with a bit of effort you can find one –the volunteers here can help you –C-Diff is not an issue with oral minocycline —
    Richie

richie
    Participant

One more point -that is why a probiotic is strongly suggested -to keep the balance -and prevent a C-diff overgrowth –
    richie

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

She told that they don’t use minocycline or other such drugs as there are more potent drugs and better drugs than those. Besides, she said that you can develop C-difficile.

Rather contradictory information really. There are “more potent drugs” – with a wide variety of not-very-pleasant side effects and minocycline, one of the most benign medications you can take (and that is a direct quote from my GP who originally agreed to prescribe it for me). Sorry to say, this scare-mongering is not an uncommon attitude from rheumies. The antibiotics more a cause for concern in this regard are the penicillins, the fluoroquinolones and Clindamycin which is often used at the beginning of treatment, often for severe or longstanding disease. In any event, a good probiotic will replenish gut flora, the lack of which is the pre-cursor to Antibiotic-Associated Colitis – occasionally followed by C-difficile, this being most prevalent in Hospitals and Nursing Homes. As previously stated, mino is not in this class of drug. I think your rheumy is frankly trying to unnecessarily scare you into doing things her way – it’s not an uncommon practice.

If AP is the route that you choose to go, suggest you consider looking for a more open-minded rheumy, GP, holistic doc or an AP Doctor with whom to work.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.