Home Forums General Discussion Diagnosed with early RA :-( Anyone know AP doc in London?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I first saw an AP doctor who was 2 hours away. I now see a local rheumatologist who is willing to prescribe minocycline but isn’t very AP knowledgable. I would go to an experienced AP doctor if at all possible.

m.
    Participant

@Linda L wrote:

M.,
    Would you include apple cider in the same group of fermented food or it is something different? Thank you.
    Linda L.

Apple cider can be lacto-fermented and contain live beneficial bacteria & yeast.

Recipes can be found online easily with a Google Search.

Store boughten foods (sauerkraut, yogurt, cider, kefir, etc.) do not always contain live cultures though. Or, the store boughten versions may not have the number & diversity of microbes in homemade fermented foods.

Cultures For Health is a good resource. I order my yogurt starters from them. I have used the book Nourishing Traditions for other recipes (beet kvass, ginger carrots, sauerkraut), although these types of recipes are easy to find online too.

There is a person on Etsy who makes ferment weights that will fit standard 32 oz and 64 oz wide mouth mason jars. Look for PotteryBySandyDer.

The other important part is getting an adequate amount of fermentable fiber in the diet, to feed our little friends in the colon, so they will make a lot of short chain fatty acids to tighten up the intestinal barrier & cool the inflammation cascade.

There is interesting reading at Jeff Leach’s blog at HumanFoodProject.com, and at MrHeisenbug.wordpress.com

For me, this reading has been connecting some dots. It makes much more sense to me why people on the McDougall Diet claim to have success cooling their arthritis. That diet is starch based and loaded with fermentable fibers for the colon.

Sorry to high jack the thread!

Anonymous
    Participant

Thank you m. Good links.
    Linda L.

Anonymous
    Participant

M.,
    The book “Nourishing Traditions” – is the one by Sally Fallon? Thank you.
    Linda L.

m.
    Participant

@Linda L wrote:

M.,
    The book “Nourishing Traditions” – is the one by Sally Fallon? Thank you.
    Linda L.

Yes, that’s the one.

I don’t reach for the book nearly as often as I end up Googling for a recipe. So many bloggers out there with step by step instructions, and pretty pictures.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.