Home Forums General Discussion Dermatomyositis and Lyme Disease

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    PhilC
    Participant

I am posting this information for troysmom, but since many others may be interested in this, I decided to give this information its own thread so it will be easier to find. These are abstracts of research papers I found by searching PubMed ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/ ) using these keywords: dermatomyositis lyme.

1: Rev Med Interne. 2007 May;28(5):343-5. Epub 2007 Jan 26.

[Lyme disease could mimic dermatomyositis]

[Article in French]

Waton J, Pinault AL, Pouaha J, Truchetet F.

Service de dermatologie, CHR Metz-Thionville, Thionville, France. juliewat[AT]free.fr

We report a dermatomyositis associated with Lyme disease. OBSERVATION: A 73-years-old woman has developed for 5 months an asthenia, a periorbital oedema and a forearm's skin infiltration without other signs suggesting of dermatomyositis. Laboratory studies showed an elevation of muscular enzymes, and inflammation signs. The skin and the muscles biopsies were compatible with the diagnostic of dermatomyositis. The patient was seropositive for Lyme disease. The patient was efficiently treated with doxycycline. DISCUSSION: Lyme disease could mimic a dermatomyositis. Indeed, Lyme disease should be considered as a differential diagnosis of dermatomyositis.

PMID: 17337098 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]

2: Infez Med. 1998;6(2):96-98.

[Acute reversible degenerative myopathy complicating Lyme disease: description of a case]
    [Article in Italian]

Scarti L, Baldoni D, Morelli C, Francini V, Bisogni B, Cecchi L.

U.O. Medicina Interna e Cardiologia, Nuovo Ospedale del Mugello – Borgo S. Lorenzo (FI) – Azienda USL 10 – Area Fiorentina, Italy.

Lyme's disease is a commonly found disorder whose etiological agent is a spirochete named Borrelia burgdorferi. Its clinical presentation is usually well known, and three stages are described. However it may present symptoms which may resemble many infectious or autoimmune diseases as well. The aim of the present study is to describe a case of first stage Lyme's disease whose main clinical picture is muscoloskeletal involvement, which may mimic dermatomyositis. Many subtle characteristics (age of onset, atypical cutaneous rash) together with the involvement of muscular masses other than scapular or pelvic ones, and the bio-humoral positivity for anti-Borrelia antibodies allowed correct diagnosis to be made. We emphasize that instrumental and invasive examinations, such as electromyography and muscular biopsy, were not diagnostic in such cases.

PMID: 12750573 [PubMed – as supplied by publisher]

3: Coexistent dermatomyositis, relapsing polychondritis, and positive Lyme serology. A case-report.

Arniaud D, Mattei JP, Pham T, Guis S, Ba

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

spacehoppa
    Participant

Sorry, I know this isn't strictly relevant here, but reading the abstracts of all these studies made me want to say that I feel very strongly that if *I* can have Lyme disease, so could anyone…

I sometimes wonder whether it's a bit like Epstein Barr, and if we were all tested, we'd find most people have it? I know that's a bit far fetched, but in all seriousness, I do wonder whether some people's bodies react badly to it, and others don't, and that's the genetic factor. But that the infection itself might be passed on in the womb, and by bodily fluids, etc.

My mother, uncle and cousin (on my mum's side) all have rheumatoid arthritis, and so with me having Lyme, perhaps they do too. Did we all inherit it from my great grandma (who also had inflammatory arthritis), or did we each get bitten by a tick?

It does make me wonder whether all people with a so-called auto-immune disease should get a Lyme test before anything else is done, or any treatment given. I wonder how often it would come up positive?

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Ruth – that's what has got me stumped too. My Mother had Palindromic RA (before that term was even coined, they simply called it “rheumatism”). Her first excruciating attack was just after she gave birth to me at age 22. It stayed palindromic over the next few decades, then RA also exploded in her mid 60's – in my view, it didnt turn into RA, she actually ended up with both. Was that, in fact, Lyme????? Well, when her symptoms started, I think she'd barely ever left London. Plus, I found out during my trip back to the U.K. last year that many female relatives on her Mother's side of the family had various manifestations of “rheumatism” – and they were all city folk….. 

My own Palindromic episodes started 22 years ago – and my bloodwork at that time was all normal. Things changed after several years (in terms of bloodwork that is) but the pattern seems remarkably similar to my Mum's. That's why I am intrigued by the possible Lyme diagnosis for me these days, simply because there's so much rheumatic history in my maternal ancestry. However, even conventional medicine is now investigating the possibility that rheumtoid diseases may be passed from the Mother to the foetus in the birth canal, versus it being in the genes. It's all such a puzzle, isn't it? Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Trudi
    Participant

[user=415]spacehoppa[/user] wrote:

Sorry, I know this isn't strictly relevant here, but reading the abstracts of all these studies made me want to say that I feel very strongly that if *I* can have Lyme disease, so could anyone…

…and if we were all tested, we'd find most people have it? I know that's a bit far fetched, but in all seriousness, I do wonder whether some people's bodies react badly to it, and others don't, and that's the genetic factor. But that the infection itself might be passed on in the womb, and by bodily fluids, etc.

You pretty much mirror my own thoughts!

The following test is supposed to have so many “positives”, that as you surmise, the greater population is harboring the bacteria, but just aren't symptomatic.

Bowen Q-RiBb (Quantitative Rapid Identification of Borrelia Burgdorferi) – A new testing method, that potentially represents a major breakthrough, is the Q-RiBb test, which has now been approved a US patent. Developed by Jo Anne Whitaker, M.D., a prominent international medical researcher, and Lyme disease patient, the Q-RiBb test is unique in its approach and potentially offers much greater accuracy than conventional testing. The method uses a fluorescent antibody technique on whole blood. As it is “quantative”, the test can determine the extent of infection and may therefore be able to distinguish the carriers from the patients with serious disease. Another advantage is the brief time required to complete the test. A preliminary report of the findings is provided within 24 hours of receiving the specimen and the final report includes digital photographs of the findings. Finally, the Q-RiBb is the only test that is unaffected by whether the patient is currently (or recently has been) taking antibiotics.

Bowen Research & Training Institute

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Parisa
    Participant

Phil,

Great links.  Posting some of this research was on my to-do list so thank you for saving me some work!

Way back when my husband's  Lyme test came back positive I found quite a few of these studies and they helped fuel my determination to have my husband treated for Lyme disease.  If you read Cure Unknown (a great book that will teach you alot about Lyme disease), it seems that certain strains of Lyme affect different parts of the body, some like joints, others connective tissue.  Add to that genetic predisposition and heavy metal toxicity and you can see why everyone's disease is slightly different and reacts to treatment differently.

I have watched this forum for several years now and the slow and steady AP approach works wonders for some.  For others, whether because they have Lyme or a more virulent strain of Lyme, they need the more aggressive Lyme protocols.  And of course on top of that, if one has Lyme there's a good chance one has Babesiosis and then without an anti-malarial you won't make any progress.

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=30]lynnie_sydney[/user] wrote:

Well, when her symptoms started, I think she'd barely ever left London.

Hi Lynnie,

This is a good point, although it came to mind that Hyde Park, in London, is teeming with deer and the pigeons in London are like Hitchcock's, “The Birds,” in parts. I often hear people saying, “Well I've always lived in NYC, so I can't possibly have been bitten by a deer tick.” Yet ticks of various kinds live on the vermin that swarm in NYC sewers and apt buildings. There are researchers at Stony Brook Hospital Lyme research dept (Ben Luft being one well-known independent researcher) that have stated that it's very likely that migrating birds brought some European strains of Lyme to the US. Seems that no part of the world is exempt from the spread of Lyme…except maybe the frozen poles? And, what other insect vectors may be spreading Lyme? Seems mosquitos, fleas, biting flies, etc are all in question.

It's really hard to say what is actually going on with this Lyme epidemic. My LLMD thinks that probably every child in CT is infected and said as much when I took my youngest to see him. It's almost impossible to live in this state and not, at some point, find a tick on you. So, maybe the petinent question is not who or how many are infected, but why some people get so sick with it and others co-exist with it quite happily. Why some people who are symptomic and accurately diagnosed respond to antibiotics swiftly and others have a long battle ahead.

Could there be cases where maternal transmission actually confers some immunity to Lyme? Seems that is now happening in some cases with HIV, for instance.

Could it be that more virulent strains are evolving as a result of global warming and natural animal habitats being destroyed? Lyme has been around since the beginning of mankind…why now is it just coming to the fore? Better research methods? Greater environmental assaults (toxic exposures) on the human immune system? Increasingly mobile human populations?  Exotic animals being removed and transplanted to non-indigenous habitats? I was reading one article a while back where lizards in Florida are rampant carriers of Lyme…that just never occured to me that reptiles could be carriers.

Nicholson's work on Gulf War Syndrome was fascinating…his daughter returned from active duty in the middle east and her whole family quickly fell ill with her inexplicable symptoms…even the family dog. He's done a lot of research on Lyme, too, and has talked about the similarities of Lyme with GWS.

Although wellin the realms of conspiracy theory, some have even speculated that these naturally occuring organisms have been manipulated in labs to be used as biological weapons to slowly disable populations. According to the discoverer of borrelia burgdorferi, Willy Burgdorfer, much has been hidden from an unsuspecting public about the true nature of this organism and it was initmated in an interview by the Under Our Skin movie documentary team that he's been hushed up.

My intention isn't to be a scare-mongerer here….really just to mention that there are still so many questions being asked by an educated, discerning public that is no longer willing to have the wool drawn over their eyes and are demanding more concrete answers. We're no longer willing to accept the old “idiopathic metabolic disorder” argument and this is a very good thing…all the best research comes from out-of-the-box thinking or accidental finds.

So many questions and, though at time drustrating, this is not a bad thing…it's a very good thing. Whilee it serves medicine well to be open-minded and to keep looking for answers, it also serves us well to remain open to any or all possibilities until more concrete answers have been proven beyond doubt.

Peace, Maz

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘ Dermatomyositis and Lyme Disease’ is closed to new replies.