Home Forums General Discussion Critical importance of gut bacteria

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    lynnie_sydney
    Participant

I watched part 1 of a completely fascinating TV science program on our Public Broadcasting station (ABC TV) on the new research about the critical importance of gut bacteria in health and their role in immune function – including inflammatory response: how what we eat completely changes not the amount of gut bacteria but the make-up of the population.

Really worth watching and here’s a link to the various segments in Part 1 (full transcript also available on the site)

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/gut_reaction_part_1/default.htm

Below are a few quotes from it:

Living on us and inside of us are an enormous number of bacteria. In fact, the bacterial cells outnumber ours by 10 to 1. And if you’re talking genes, the bacteria contribute a hundred times as many genes as our genomes do. So when you think about it, they’re not really OUR bacteria, we’re THEIR human.

It’s mainly in the gut that the immune system learns what to and what not to attack. And our bacteria don’t just affect physical health. They also have pathways to our brains.

Professor Stephen Simpson
    Diet changes what you’re feeding to your bacteria. And because your bacterial species all have a slightly different requirement for nutrients, then you’re going to support different communities.

NARRATION
    So all the health problems on that long list may be connected to a lack of diversity and to the wrong type of bacteria disturbing the immune system, leaving our bodies in a perpetual state of inflammation. Inflammation is one of the body’s defence mechanisms and involves immune cells being released. But these defences can do harm if they’re not properly controlled.

Professor Charles Mackay
    The cells which are built to kill bacteria are actually doing damage to our own tissue. And that’s usually an inflammatory disease. And that’s what happens in the islets in type-1 diabetes or in the airways in asthma or in the joints in rheumatoid arthritis.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Lynnie;
    this is wonderful and I am so glad that they have a written version as I can’t get sound or video with my “dial up” connection.Can you post parts 2 and 3 when they come up?I already had a good idea about this info but I sent it on to all my friends with bad eating habits.hehehe
    Thanks a million

Grace
    Participant

Looks like excellent information. Cant wait to read!!
    Thanks for posting.
    Be well 🙂

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Can you post parts 2 and 3 when they come up?

Hi Lynne – yes I will post the link. Part 2 is broadcast next week and think it’s a 2-part program. Some of the stuff I knew about (diet has long been part of my approach) but there was some fascinating new info in there for me.

Be well! Lynnie

rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

bonnielou
    Keymaster

Thanks Lynn, this was great!

Bonnie Lou
    RA 02/07,AP 10/07
    Minocycline 200mg MWF; Plaquenil 100mg 3 days/week
    Fish Oil, Ubiquinol, Turmeric, Vit C (2 grams) , MultiVit, Magnesium, Astaxanthin, D3 (5000), probiotics and a daily dose of yoga!

Anonymous
    Participant

I watched it only today. Amazing. Thank you Lynnie.
    Linda L.

Pip
    Participant

Brilliant – going to watch the other one now.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Pip
    Glad you are doing so well.
    Aren’t they great?
    You might also want to take a look at this project (I posted this in another thread). This is where all the info for those programs came from. And it’s based in the U.S. (Colorado). You can join the American Gut part of the project too and find out what your own body is “housing”.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11884

Be well! Lynnie

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.