Home Forums General Discussion Consumer Reports Best Buy Drugs for RA

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

This is good for newcomers to see.

Valsmum
    Participant

I tried 2 biologics for my RA and I was in the 13% for life threatening side effects. During my first infusion of Remicade my blood pressure doubled ( I saw the number on the blood pressure machine) and my chest got so tight, they wheeled me out to the Emergency Room for and EKG. It was awful. I read the possible side effects before I took it, but did not think I would get any of the bad side effects. I also noticed that I seem to get anemic on most of the traditional RA meds. When I am taken off of the traditional RA meds my anemia goes away.

Anonymous
    Participant

Valsmum,
    On what medications you think you get anemic? I take MTX and have anemia and low iron all the time.
    Linda L.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Valsmum-

Sorry you had those side effects and glad you’re doing well on your fruits and vegetable diet!!!

Jan

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Linda,
    @Linda L wrote:

Valsmum,
    On what medications you think you get anemic? I take MTX and have anemia and low iron all the time.

Are you taking folate?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Anonymous
    Participant

Phil,
    I take Iron with Folic Acid 350 ug all the time, but a week ago a doctor told me to take Folic Acid tablets 5 mg a day.
    When I pick up a teaspoon in the morning and it seems heavy I know that my iron is low.
    Best wishes,
    Linda L.

Valsmum
    Participant

When I took Orencia & mtx I became anemic. When I stopped taking those meds my anemia went away within months.

Yes, I took folate , it was prescribed to me. Metheltrexate depletes the folic acid in the body when you take it. That is why mtx is a category X for a woman that is in her childbearing years. A baby born to a woman on mtx will surely have birth defects.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Valsmum-

Good information.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Good for those who are new.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I’ll bump this up.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.