Home Forums General Discussion Constant Pain!! Is this the Norm??

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    cookie
    Participant

Happy New Year to Everyone!!!

I was diagnosed with RA in 2005. I have been taking Doxycycline 100mg BID since August of 2012.

Previously I was taking minocycline 100 mg BID off and on since 2005. I stopped the mino due to side effects.

I am in daily constant pain in my wrists, shoulders and forearms. The Naproxen helps to alleviate some of my pain but only

temporarily. I wonder if the Doxy is not working for me. How long does a new drug take effect approximately. Does anyone

have any suggestions to help me eliminate this chronic pain. I appreciate your suggestions, comments etc. Thank you so

much!
    😐

Cookie

Diagnosed with RA in 2005. Taking minocycline M W F. Taking B vitamins, fish oil, probiotics, vit E, calcium, vit D, DHEA, zinc, magnesium taurine, curcumin, msm, GLA, vitamin C, glutathione capsules. Using topical ointments for pain such as Voltaren. Drinking lactose free milk, eating lean meat such as chicken and fruits and veggies. Exercising 3 times a week.
    My side effects of mino are hyperpigmentation of my face/neck and darkening of my gums and whites of eyes which is very distressing. Diagno

laurawm
    Participant

Hi Cookie,

So sorry you are in pain. 🙁 I looked back over some of your previous posts and saw that you at times were pulsing your minocycline dosage – are you pulsing the doxycyline, or taking it everyday? It could be that doxy 100mg BID is a heavy dosage schedule for you as you could be herxing after taking a break from mino, but from reading your history, you have never completely been out of pain/swelling in these areas on a long-term basis? Have you had labs done to check for different bacterias to know if another combination antibiotic might be helpful alongside a tetracycline? Doxycycline, for me, when I tried it as a mino substitute for a couple of months during the summer, was not as potent an anti-inflammatory as minocycline, but it also did not cause as strong of a herx unless I was on a much higher dosage schedule than mino. These are just a few thoughts that come to mind when reading your experience – I’m sure others more experienced will have further thoughts. Are you still taking LDN? I have read that it is possible also to herx on this…

Best to you and I hope this subsides for you soon!
    Laura

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Cookie,

What is written on those doxycycline pills?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

cookie
    Participant

Laura: Thank you for your post. I am taking the doxy on Monday Wednesday and Fridays one in the morning and one in the evening either one hour before meals or two hours after meals and never with vitamins. I took the LDN for several months but it did not help at all so I discontinued it. I’m hoping with time the doxy will “kick in”. I also need to detox especially after the Christmas holiday eating.

Cookie

Diagnosed with RA in 2005. Taking minocycline M W F. Taking B vitamins, fish oil, probiotics, vit E, calcium, vit D, DHEA, zinc, magnesium taurine, curcumin, msm, GLA, vitamin C, glutathione capsules. Using topical ointments for pain such as Voltaren. Drinking lactose free milk, eating lean meat such as chicken and fruits and veggies. Exercising 3 times a week.
    My side effects of mino are hyperpigmentation of my face/neck and darkening of my gums and whites of eyes which is very distressing. Diagno

cookie
    Participant

Hi PhilC

The doxycycline pills have APO 100 stamped on the pill. They come in a bluish/turquoise gelatin capsule. I am from Canada and I believe these are not generic pills. I’m curious why do you ask??

Cookie

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Cookie;
    APO is a generic.I did not realise I was taking APO mino for several months as they were the same colour as the Steifel.I had a severe decline but picked up quite fast on Teva.
    Lynne

cookie
    Participant

Hi Lynne. Should I request the original doxy as opposed to the generic drug?? I’m confused shouldn’t the generic be identical ??

Cookie

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Cookie,
    @cookie wrote:

The doxycycline pills have APO 100 stamped on the pill. They come in a bluish/turquoise gelatin capsule. I am from Canada and I believe these are not generic pills. I’m curious why do you ask??

Those are generic doxycycline capsules made by Apotex. A couple of people on here have had less than desirable experiences with Apo-Minocycline, so you may want to try a different generic. Ask the pharmacy if they can fill your prescription using Teva-Doxycycline instead of Apo-Doxy.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

cookie
    Participant

Hi Phil: I am seeing my rheumatologist tomorrow , Monday January 7/13. Should I ask him to give me a new prescription made by the original manufacturer of Doxycycline (meaning no generic brands). They often can do that and write no substitutes on the script.
    Since the APO 100 is generic and Teva is as well shouldn’t I request originals only???

Cookie

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Cookie,

You could ask the doctor to specify Vibramycin, which is brand-name doxy. Keep in mind that it may be a lot more expensive than the generic.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.