Home Forums General Discussion Comfortable Shoes

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    enzed
    Participant

Years ago I imported Kalso Earth boots with negative heel technology. They were great. I have now found and imported their sandals. After one day of wearing them the pain is gone from my knees and feet. They work by throwing the weight onto the heels and the leg muscles and off the knees and the front ball of the feet. They also force the wearer to stand up straight. I found a pair on eBay USA and have ordered a second pair from Amazon – both pairs on sale – they are expensive.

With osteoarthritis in my spine and with SD feet that have lost tissue, they are a huge help to enable me to walk without the pain I am used to. The swelling is already reducing in my knees from having the stress taken off them even though I’m not overweight. It’s the negative heel technology design and soft leather inner linings that work together to reduce stress and cushion the walk.

I thought this info may be useful to others who have difficulty walking because of arthritis and/or SD. Maybe others could post successful shoe ‘finds’ and describe how they have helped mobility.

I have no connection to the Kalso company – or any other company for that matter.

richie
    Participant

Hi–Its a constant struggle to find shoes -sneakers etc that make up for loss of cushioning on feet –I use orthotics with extra padding such as used for diabetics and recently found Merrell sneakers that are very cushioned –Not perfect but I get by –Glad you found something that helps you —
    richie

enzed
    Participant

I also have Brooks Pure Cadence sneakers, with really soft and squishy liners – I can walk in those too. They were a great find.

Anonymous
    Participant

thanks enzed

good advice ….I’m looking for the right shoes to my knee problems

difficult, however, buy them at a distance :geek:

enzed
    Participant

@flower wrote:

thanks enzed

good advice ….I’m looking for the right shoes to my knee problems

difficult, however, buy them at a distance :geek:

Yes, fittings are difficult when buying from another country. A few years ago I phoned Kalso in the USA and they told me to send them a picture of the outline of my foot to get an accurate size. I drew it and emailed it to them and they emailed back my size in the winter boot I had chosen from their website. I then phoned them giving my credit card details and they kindly posted the boots to me even though they didn’t have an international posting service. I paid top price but those boots were wonderful and I almost cried when they wore out 5 years later. I have now found a shoe store in Australia (Melbourne) that sells Kalso Earth ‘negative heel technology’ footwear so in future I’ll buy from them because they accept returns if the shoe doesn’t fit.

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

Hello all!

I am so glad to have stumbled onto this thread. My daughter, Jessica (systemic scleroderma), has been suffering with foot pain from her new “job” (not paid) where she is standing on her feet all day during 14-18 (per the rules they can make her work up to 29 hours straight and she had done that twice in the past 8 weeks) hour shifts. I don’t know if she has lost the padding in her feet, but she is suffering! She doesn’t have any foot pain when wearing her good running shoes so it seems likely that the padding loss is the issue. She has been wearing Dansko shoes, which are the shoes all the medical professional wear and rave about for their comfort but they are not working for Jess. I am so excited to try this new brand you’ve recommended, there are 3 shoe stores that carry this brand very close to me.

Thanks for the recommendation. As she is just starting this career the comfortable shoes problem was really stressing both of us out!

Cheryl

DianaW13
    Participant

When my arthritis was really bad in my feet and knees, I found FitFlops were the most comfortable shoes. They are not cushiony, but when I wore them my feet and knees felt almost normal. I couldn’t go without bandages on my knees for support, but I did not need to wear them when I had these shoes on.

Unfortunately, these too are not cheap They are imported from the UK and not many stores here in Canada sell them.

Hope this helps,

Diana

enzed
    Participant

A friend with very painful feet was visiting shoe stores today, trying on Merrell shoes and also Brooks Pure Cadence sneakers. I’ll post his choice if he finds a pair that he finds comfortable to walk in.

richie
    Participant

Hi Lets hope he finds relief !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -I do emphasize –TO Cheryl

I remember when Jess first started UC –wow time flies –Very interesting- friends of my daughters are going out to see UC San Diego for their daughter as she is raving about their bio-medical science program —-my granddaughter starts her official visits –looks like the Ivies for her !!!-
    richie

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

It is an amazing place! Jess just loved it there and I cannot imaging anyplace with better opportunities to get experience. There are 3 hospitals on campus, as well as independent research institutes. Jess did work at the La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology. Her degree in molecular biology got her interviews at many of the top 20 med schools and acceptances at multiple top programs (including UCSD school of med). She loved the San Diego area and the school.

Good luck to your daughters friends. Are they swimmers? The UCSD swim team is the best!

Cheryl

Krys
    Participant

There was a thread on shoes last Dec.: “Any Comfortable Shoes?”
    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8413
    Krys

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.