Home Forums General Discussion Combination Therapy

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    aboyer
    Participant

I was wondering if I can take Mino and Doxy at the same time.

Diagnosed with severe RA 12 years ago
    Tested positive for M. pneumoniae and C. pneumoniae

Current meds: Kineret 100mg, doxycycline 50mg, cbd oil, and celebrex

Supplements: fish oil, vitamin b12, folate, b6, iron, selenium, zinc, vitamin c, and biotin

Maz
    Keymaster

@aboyer wrote:

There have been a few folks here who have shared that they were unable to tolerate higher doses of minocycline due to early vestibular symptoms, such as dizziness or were getting blue/gray hyperpigmentation that sometimes occurs with mino, and, if they needed higher dosing, they were able to supplement with doxycycline. Some may wonder why not just use doxy, but others still want to take advantage of the superior tissue penetration that minocycline seems to afford, so will blend the two. Doxy and mino are in the same class of abx, so essentially not a problem to use both at once in suitable dosing schedules.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,
    @aboyer wrote:

Do you mean together, as in exactly the same time, or something else?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

aboyer
    Participant

I’m having some dizziness on the mino, so I was thinking of taking 50 mg of mino on Mon and Fri, and 100 mg of doxy on Wed. I wonder if this would help with the dizziness.

Supplements: fish oil, vitamin b12, folate, b6, iron, selenium, zinc, vitamin c, and biotin

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,
    @aboyer wrote:

I’m having some dizziness on the mino,

How long have you been on your current dose of minocycline (50 mg, MWF)? And were you on a different antibiotic (or different dose of mino) before that?

Phil

- Albert Einstein

aboyer
    Participant

I’ve been on 50 mg of Mino on Mon, Wed, and Fri for about 3 to 4 weeks, and I had a spinning sensation last night and some headaches. I was on 100 mg of Doxy on Mon, Wed, and Fri before the Mino, but didn’t have any luck with it. I think the Mino is working but the dizziness and headaches are starting to bother me. So I was thinking of alternating the two to see if I would benefit from them together. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

richie
    Participant

Dizziness occurs very often when starting minocycline –reason is the first area the mino goes to is the middle ear –when I started minocin -dizziness and nausea was a problem for about three weeks –Since you are taking such a small dose of mino –it may be just starting now to accumulate in your middle ear —
    richie

aboyer
    Participant

Well does it get better or should I go even lower to avoid this. I have noticed that my left ear feels stopped up.

richie
    Participant

Hi–It got better with me after a few weeks —I still take minocin after 14 years !!!–To prevent recurrence
    richie

aboyer
    Participant

Thank you Richie.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,
    @aboyer wrote:

I think the Mino is working but the dizziness and headaches are starting to bother me. So I was thinking of alternating the two to see if I would benefit from them together.

Headaches are no fun. They are the main reason I started at 25 mg of minocycline. In this post I described the method I used to work my way up to 100 mg: How I slowly increased my dose of minocycline .

Your idea to replace Wednesday’s dose of mino with 100 mg of doxy may be helpful. While I was increasing my dose of minocycline, I took 100 mg of doxy on the non-mino days. What that gave me was a slow and gentle transition between the two drugs. Currently I am taking 100 mg of doxy on Sundays and Wednesdays, and 100 mg of mino on all other days. In about ten weeks I will run out of doxy, at which point I will begin taking 100 mg of minocycline every day.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

aboyer
    Participant

Thank you so much for the information.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.