Home Forums General Discussion Codliver Oil

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kater
    Participant

Hi all
    I was taking codliver oil as prescribed by my naturopath, and then saw another naturopath who said I should stop taking this immediately as the Vitamin A in it blocks all Vitamin D receptors. He said after taking this for several months I would be very D deficient and increased me to 10000 iu of D3 for a month. I have found literature supporting his remarks on codliver oil, also see that quite a few people take it so I thought I would mention this for people to look into. All comments welcome!
    kate

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

ouchy
    Participant

Goodness, thanks Kate! I’ve avoided it for years because of the high Vit A / early dementia link seen in Scandanavian countries, but have recently been reconsidering. Could you link to a study…? Thanks ouch 🙂

PhilC
    Participant

Here’s my experience with cod liver oil. I tried it years ago because I heard a guy on the radio say that cod liver oil is good for arthritis. His name was Dale Alexander and, of course, he has a whole line of cod liver oil products that he sells. I’m not sure whether he is still alive. By the way, he said that cod liver oil “lubricates the joints.” Although I won’t say that it is not true, it sounds like a load of horse manure to me.

Anyway, I bought a bottle of Dale Alexander’s cod liver oil to see if it would help. It actually seemed to make my joint pain worse, so I never bought it again.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Joe RA
    Participant

Hi: All I just want to say that I have been taking
    cod liver oil for more over 10 years daily and I am
    sure glad I do, For the last 7 years I’m feeling great.
    The only thing I heard was that the, vitamin A in it can be toxic in high dosages as stated by the
    Vitamin D councils web site , causing possible liver
    problems if used long term. All my blood tests are and have been OK. This is the first time I heard that
    vitamin A blocks all vitamin D receptors, that to me
    is BULL. That would mean that all or most people
    taking or have taken cod liver oil in the past should
    have (Rickets) caused by vitamin D deficiency.
    :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    “We all went to the same school, we all read the same books, we all have defferent opinions”
    (In Docs we trust :ugeek: 😆 )
    The best to all. ….Joe RA….

A Friend
    Participant

@kater wrote:

Hi all
    I was taking codliver oil as prescribed by my naturopath, and then saw another naturopath who said I should stop taking this immediately as the Vitamin A in it blocks all Vitamin D receptors. He said after taking this for several months I would be very D deficient and increased me to 10000 iu of D3 for a month. I have found literature supporting his remarks on codliver oil, also see that quite a few people take it so I thought I would mention this for people to look into. All comments welcome!
    kate

Kate,

Thanks so much for this “heads-up” on Vitamin A’s probable negating of effects of Vitamin D. This information is very important to me and needed for myself and for my daughter. Curious, I did a search also using this premise, and found this link that seems well-informed. Once you click the link and it opens, you can scroll down a little way, and click “Print this Article” and it gives an article easier to read/print.

http://www.naturalnews.com/028617_vitamin_A_D.html

One more thing I need to determine, and now realize I need to re-read about workings of cod liver oil — believe it has the capacity to utilize both D and A, but can’t remember exactly how this works. ❓ More later.

EDIT: Me again… this may help, but still not absolutely clear: (copied/pasted excerpt below)

In addition, Dr. Cannell goes on to say, “As I began reviewing the latest research, I realized there was compelling evidence that the ratios of these two vitamins may be of paramount importance in order to extract optimal health benefits. It`s important to understand the two work in tandem. But if you`re deficient in vitamin A, vitamin D cannot function properly either.”
    Proper balance of these two vitamins is essential; however, the optimal ratios are unknowable at this point.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/028617_vitamin_A_D.html#ixzz1ipHAuPpB

Thanks again.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.