Home Forums General Discussion Chelation therapy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    MMW
    Participant

Hello,

For those that have done the heavy metals urine challenge test:

I am considering the urine challenge test. My dr. uses dmps and not dmsa. Dmps seems to be portrayed harser tha dmsa. Wondering if high iron and a dmps injection for the urine challenge could put me in the backfire category. There are some pretty worrisome sites on the net that lean towards scaring people off from doing this. Dmpsbackfire is one of them.

Also, if results come back that continuous therapy is justified, how does one chose between EDTA, dmps or dmsa?
    How fast does one replenish the good minerals cheleated with a supplement?
    Thanks,

MMW

Maz
    Keymaster

@MMW wrote:

Hello,

For those that have done the heavy metals urine challenge test:

I am considering the urine challenge test. My dr. uses dmps and not dmsa. Dmps seems to be portrayed harser tha dmsa. Wondering if high iron and a dmps injection for the urine challenge could put me in the backfire category. There are some pretty worrisome sites on the net that lean towards scaring people off from doing this. Dmpsbackfire is one of them.

Also, if results come back that continuous therapy is justified, how does one chose between EDTA, dmps or dmsa?
    How fast does one replenish the good minerals cheleated with a supplement?
    Thanks,

MMW

Hi MMW,

I haven’t researched EDTA, DMPS or DMSA for iron chelation specifically – think desferrioxamine is preferred and usually only used in those with concomitant anemia (so can’t do blood draws) – but think you are already more well-informed on all this as it relates to hemochromatosis. 😉

My doc used the DMSA oral caps challenge and the dose used is based on body weight. He does not use DMPS is if his patients have silver fillings, because it will literally cause them to fall out. If a person has a high mercury level while using DMPS, it can be a nightmarish experience, especially if appropriate detoxing to mop up the mercury isn’t done. I think Klinghardt uses high dose Vit C via IV for this purpose (but my memory recall might be mistaken on that) , but my doc preferred to chase my IVs with just IV glutathione pushes.

I initially chose weekly IV calcium disodium EDTA (doc said 2 times a week was optimal, but not covered by insurance). I found I had some really nasty side-effects (fever, muscle and joint pain, general malaise and even my cheeks hurt), though, and could only do about 8 of them in the series of 30 he was recommending. I then switched to oral DMSA, which was covered (surprisingly, but I suspect it was because my lead levels were at CDC recommended level for chelation) by insurance. Oral chelation was definitely easier than driving to the doc for weekly IVs, but I had to drink masses of water each day, use chorella and take a replacement mineral supplement. I had to cut the oral chelation short, because I started experiencing another round of drug-induced lupus. 🙄 I will, at some point, get back to it, but will likely have to go through another challenge to see where I’m at.

I don’t mean to worry you as my reaction may well have been to do with my very high lead and mercury levels or the drug-induced lupus starting. I also have some metal fillings that still need to be replaced.

If your doctor is recommending any form of chelation, I’d suggest getting any metal fillings you might have sorted out first. In retrospect, I wish I had done this, because I do think it had some part in why I felt so bad during chelation and the fact that I also have the heterozygous MTHFR gene mutation and just have trouble metabolizing a lot of drugs and detoxing. Everything is a slow slog in this regard.

Btw, I agree, if you have high mercury levels, I think it can open a big can of worms to use the DMPS and especially so if there are detox issues or proper detoxification methods aren’t used after each treatment.

I don’t know how long it takes to replenish lost minerals after each chelation treatment – there may be studies on this somewhere – but it is critical to replace lost minerals, because unfortunately, the good is lost with the bad stuff leading to metabolite imbalances and bone leaching.

As mentioned, I really don’t know how well any of the other chelation agents you mentioned work on iron overload disorders, so you might find better answers on a forum that discusses these options and where folks can share their personal experiences of them. It can be rough going to do chelation, especially if not done right. It’s also worth noting that these treatments do break up biofilms, so can also cause a flood of bacterial endotoxin…and we all know how those herxes can feel. 😛

Let us know what you discover, Marianne. Maybe others who have actually used DPMS or other chelation agents can share their experience for you. It’s been discussed here a lot in the past, so should be some threads you can pull up on this, too.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.