Home Forums General Discussion Change from mino to DoxyLin

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Rockin Annie
    Participant

Hi to you all, I have been on minomycine for approx 7 years with many ups and downs, but finally in the last couple of years my RA has calmed down, but not entirely, until early this year when I decided to go off mino because of blue spots on my face, It wasn’t a good choice and after a few weeks all my symptoms returned, I decided to go back on Mino., which helped with a few bouts of short term Pred.

Early this week I had decided to switch to DoxyLin and got a script from my local doctor, which she said only to take 100mgs compared to 200mgs of Mino. MWF. I was a little confused so I rang my AP doctor and had a over the phone consult with her. She advised me to go on a cocktail of Klacid, Dalacin C, Cilicane and Rulide which she couldn’t send scripts as she hasn’t seen me for a few years. Ok i realize this, but my local doctor thinks I am crazy with just one abx let alone 4, what to do now? Do I go onto DoxyLin and take the risk, as I really don’t have that much confidence in this AP doctor, I just wanted to get some feed back and that I did.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated and I do know you guys are not doctors but I value your opinions……Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2015 changed to doxy 50mgs
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

Rockin Annie
    Participant

I am currently on 200mgs of Mino MWF. I want to change over to Doxylin , but am a bit nervous of going off Mino completely. Does anyone know if both Mino and Doxylin can they be used together or alternately. Thanks Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Annie,

Is it okay to take both doxy and mino? Absolutely.

See:
    https://www.roadback.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7210
    https://www.roadback.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7333
    https://www.roadback.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8101

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Thanks Phil, those links were a great help in my decision to try Mino and Doxylin MWF to see how that combo goes. I was a bit concerned as my GP was adamant that I go off one to go on another. It’s really hard when you need advice and you can’t ask the professionals. I just want to thank all you guys on RB for your help and it would be such a hard road if it wasn’t for you all……Annie

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Annie;
    I have SD and the blue spots from the mino after 16 years on it.My vanity got the better of me and I switched to doxy….SD was coming back at top speed. Taking the doxy and mino makes more sense

Rockin Annie
    Participant

@Lynne G./SD wrote:

Hi Annie;
    I have SD and the blue spots from the mino after 16 years on it.My vanity got the better of me and I switched to doxy….SD was coming back at top speed. Taking the doxy and mino makes more sense

Hi Lynne, yes my vanity is getting the better as well, I really feel it was time for a change anyway from the Mino as I started to have flares as well and thought maybe adding Doxylin may help, but I was really terrified of going off Mino completely as I can still remember what the RA pain was like. But goodness these doctor do give such different opinions and I might add that most only seem to care about the dollars and not you.

Lynne did your go back onto the Mino?……..Annie

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Annie;
    you bet I got back on mino.Problem was corrected in less than 2 weeks,thank God!

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Annie
    If you can’t get down to Victoria (and you seem not happy with doc there anyway), it may be worth considering seeing another doc a little closer to home. Very difficult to manage protocols longterm with no supportive doc in the background. There is a DR G.D. on the listing for Queensland who has patients on combined abx protocols who may be worth considering – name originally obtained from cpn.org. I can PM you details if you no longer have the lists.

In terms of my track record with Dr D, I had a phone consult with her a while ago and told her I couldn’t get down right then as I needed to urgently go overseas but that I needed to trial some different tweaks pretty fast to see if I could kick what seemed to be progression of my condition into RA in small joints in hands and feet (my symptoms have historically been extreme migrating pain in large joints and tendons). I have to say that the 3rd protocol change I tried seemed to work. I am flying down mid Jan as I’m overdue for a work-up and I’ve had a really nasty virus since I came back from overseas (unwell for weeks) and I know this can often change response to protocols. Just my experience……tweaks have always eventually worked for me over 6 years. And I can no longer tolerate the tetras so I do need different abx mixes. Just my experience. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Thanks Lynnie, have sent you a PM…..Annie

I have just found my list of AP doctors and cant see the dr you are referring to…..

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

I have just found my list of AP doctors and cant see the dr you are referring to…..

May be an older list? I have just forwarded details via PM

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Lynnie,
    @lynnie_sydney wrote:

I am flying down mid Jan as I’m overdue for a work-up and I’ve had a really nasty virus since I came back from overseas (unwell for weeks) and I know this can often change response to protocols.

I’ve found olive leaf extract to be an effective weapon to use against viruses.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.