Home Forums General Discussion CDC announces massive lyme problem in Eastern US

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    richie
    Participant

THe CDC announced this morning that there is a tremendous rise in lyme in the EAstern US –yet with this knowledge I see many many folks walking back trails just totally unprepared —no high socks –no head or neck covering and on and on —this is step one in fighting lyme –its called common sense !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    richie

Maz
    Keymaster

@richie wrote:

THe CDC announced this morning that there is a tremendous rise in lyme in the EAstern US –yet with this knowledge I see many many folks walking back trails just totally unprepared —no high socks –no head or neck covering and on and on —this is step one in fighting lyme –its called common sense !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    richie

Richie, both times I got tick bites I was not walking trails, though I have also seen what you have witnessed and thought it crazy. These beasts drop out of trees and I got one on my scalp just walking up the drive to collect my mail. There is no way to live in certain regions without being exposed, just by living here. Pets carry them in the house, even when they are protected with flea and tick measures. This problem is huge and there is so much disinformation about the extent if it. My neighbor has had to start wearing a hazmat suit just to mow his lawn…not fun in this heat. We need to stop “blaming the patient” and start getting smart about this public health disaster. The bigger problem is environmental, because humans have been encroaching on natural habitats in disregard of how it is affecting ecosystems and migrating birds are carrying them everywhere. Even folks in big cities, walking through Central Park are getting tick bites…the problem has been suppressed and disregarded for so long that most people and medical professionals are largely ignorant of what these tiny poppy seed-sized insects can do. I had a pediatrician tell me he was not going to treat my daughter who had an irregular Bulls eye between her toes until she had symptoms or a positive test! By the time symptoms emerge or a test is positive, it can be too late, as the infection quickly disseminates throughout the body. I could not risk her getting aitoimmune issues and took her directly to my LLMD who immediately put her on two months of high dose doxy. An even more difficult scenario is the person who gets infected years before, never showing symptoms, and then it explodes into existence, often with such myriad symptoms, it’s impossible to decipher what is happening.

We need to stop the blame game and get real about this very real epidemic that is a public health fiasco and costing untold $$s to the health system and causing patients to go bankrupt having to seek help out of network due to restrictive treatment guidelines, disinformation, poor testing and inadequate treatment. I agree wholeheartedly that folks need to protect themselves when outdoors, but the problem is much bigger than this and we’d have to be living in glass bubbles to avoid the little blighters completely. It’s a disgusting shambles and there is a lot to answer for as to why this problem has been allowed to get to this point.

sebreg
    Participant

I really really really pray that the public and mainstream medicine turn the corner on lyme/coinfections and recognize the seriousness of the situation. I know it will happen, I just hope it happens in 2 years rather than 20. Part of me is optimistic, since sadly the scale of this thing seems to be so huge that there is no way to keep it under wraps and keep denying chronic lyme. Plus with the research that is building up and validating chronic lyme… but my optimism is tempered with cynicism, due to the establishment’s terrifying record on lyme.

Linda L
    Participant

I have heard that people who used to go to forests to collect mushrooms in Europe have stopped doing it due to a huge infestation of ticks there. What is going on?
    Linda L.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.