Home Forums General Discussion Canadian pharmacies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    pattylu
    Participant

I’ve been buying AKNEMIN (brand Minocin, comes from England) from Canadadrugs.com for the past couple years…the stuff is great, bioequivalent to the old Pfizer formula. (The new formulation in the US by VAleant is NOT bioequivalent for me and is about as effective as an aspirin!) Got the horrible news taht they are closing in JUly. Apparently the US Dept of Justice is cracking down and closing all online Canadian Pharmacies/preventing them from shipping to the US. The last time I had to buy the US product it was $1873 for a 30-day supply (30 100-mg capsules!) No Rx insurance will cover it, as it is listed as a Tier 4 or 5 drug now.The generics just don’t work for me. I’ve gone online, and the places that I had previously purchased Minocin MR from are no longer selling the brand stuff at all. So I will order a couple more 3-month supplies then have to figure out what I can do to continue this treatment, which has worked for me 100% for 12 years (except for when the formula changed due to the sale of the Pfizer trademark).Have been mostly buying from Canada for the past three years. I can get the generic for dirt cheap, but even going from 100 mg three times a week to 200 mg 7 days a week does not make it work better…I get really sensitive to foods, etc. And get flares. I am totally distressed!!! I may have to start traveling to Canada twice a year, getting a doctor up there, and getting my prescription in Canada!!

richie
    Participant

Hi Think theres a bit of a mix-up —Valeant I dont think is making minocin anymore –it so happens Valeant was NOT a new formula rather the original minocin pelleted —Pfizer I dont think was ever involved in minocin -rather it was Wyeth -will do some checking for you !

richie
    Participant

To Clarify –it has always been illegal to receive medicine from Canada and has always been subject to seizure –Canadian pharmacies are NOT being closed –there was a raid on Canadapharmacies .com –Canada want these online pharmacies to be certified –look for other pharmacies

PhilC
    Participant

I may have to start traveling to Canada twice a year, getting a doctor up there, and getting my prescription in Canada!!

That won’t work because all you will be able to get in Canada are Canadian-made generics. Years ago genuine Minocin was available, but now only generic minocycline is available there (from regular pharmacies).

There’s another option you may want to consider: Have a compounding pharmacy make minocycline capsules for you using pure minocycline and microcrystalline cellulose (the filler). At least one person has had success doing that.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

CMS12
    Participant

I went through the same exact thing. Minocin became so expensive my insurance wouldn’t cover it. I came out of remission on Teva and Watson generic. After qualifying for Medicare I was able to get Minocin again for a couple of years despite its extraordinary cost until Valeant apharmaceuticals quit making it. It was true Minocin, as Richie said, it wasn’t a new formula. I did well on Torrent generic and Richie has said he is doing well too. Many of us here have described our search for a substitute generic mino. Some do well on one and not another. I spent a few years in bad shape experimenting until I found relief again. I’m now on doxycycline because mino has caused pretty bad hyperpigmentation. Not doing as well as mino but hanging in there with this newest experiment. Keep searching. You’ll hit on what works for you.

Cindy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.