Home Forums General Discussion Can You Take Expired Minocin?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    redrock
    Participant

I found about a three-week supply of Minocin in my cupboard that expired in December. Do you think I can take it? The stuff is so expensive I hate to throw it out.

Maz
    Keymaster

@redrock wrote:

I found about a three-week supply of Minocin in my cupboard that expired in December. Do you think I can take it? The stuff is so expensive I hate to throw it out.

Hi Redrock,

The tetras can cause kidney toxicity if taken after the expiration date. Some say that if they are still in the sealed manufacturer’s bottle, then probably have a longer shelf life, but this isn’t really quantifiable and probably safest just to err on the side of caution.

kater
    Participant

I agree that you probably should not take them, but they are environmentally toxic and I suggest that you take them back to the pharmacy for proper recycling rather than just throwing them out, and certainly do not flush them.
    The creatures of the earth, sea and me thank you
    kate ๐Ÿ™‚

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

redrock
    Participant

All right, thanks.

lemons
    Participant

If the Minocin is in a blister pack and has been stored in a cool dark environment it would probably be ok for a couple of months but not five. The best way to dispose of them is to pour boiling water over the capsules, pop them in a sealed bag and throw them in the rubbish/ garbage/trash bin. You do not need to take them back to the drug store if you do this, as the heat will destroy the antibiotic.

Krys
    Participant

I hesitate to post it, but I think I read on RBF in the past that you should not take tertas 1 year after the expiration date. And because I remembered reading it, I did take it after the expiration date when it was still less than 1 year. ๐Ÿ˜ณ
    Krys

redrock
    Participant

I actually had some unexplained high liver counts recently and I wonder if I’ve been taking from the expired bottle more than I thought and is the reason for those counts? ๐Ÿ˜•

Maz
    Keymaster

@redrock wrote:

I actually had some unexplained high liver counts recently and I wonder if I’ve been taking from the expired bottle more than I thought and is the reason for those counts? ๐Ÿ˜•

Are you still using aspirin and taking iron, Redrock?

redrock
    Participant

Yes Ma’am

Actually I just saw my Minocin prescriber last week and I told him that I have gotten into the habit of taking a lot of tylenol, pretty much very day, because I get tension headaches. He said that could be causing the liver issues but I’m wondering about the expired MInocin too.

Maz
    Keymaster

@redrock wrote:

Yes Ma’am

Actually I just saw my Minocin prescriber last week and I told him that I have gotten into the habit of taking a lot of tylenol, pretty much very day, because I get tension headaches. He said that could be causing the liver issues but I’m wondering about the expired MInocin too.

It’s possible that regular use of Tylenol is causing this. Iron overload can also cause it due to its toxicity, if you’re still taking iron? In combo with the mino, these things might be too much for your liver. Interestingly, NAC (n-acetylcysteine), an over-the-counter supplement, is used in ERs for aspirin overdose (though usually via IV in those instances) and many folks use it here to help avert lung fibrosis, but it’s also because NAC is a precursor to glutathione, produced in the liver and is the body’s master detoxifier. Healthy lungs are rich in glutathione and NAC is a mucolytic, so also used for kids with cystic fibrosis. Worth checking into this.

Also important to check for autoimmune hepatitis, which can occur with minocycline, though rare. This can be done with some simple labs to rule it in/out. Mino is metabolized by the liver, so it’s possible that the old supply you had taken has caused some toxicity, too, but the liver is an organ that is forgiving and able to regenerate itself. Sometimes, it just needs a little help. Milk thistle is a wonderful natural supplement that has worked for many to lower liver enzymes and also work checking out.

Lots of things can cause elevated enzymes, so while it could be the old mino, it might also be due to something else and just worth a little more investigation. Hope you figure it out, Redrock.

redrock
    Participant

I’ll check into this, thanks.

richie
    Participant

Hi From the time Minocin is manufactured the expiration date is two years –if it has expired that means its two years plus old –I think just not a good thing !!!!!!!!!!
    richie

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.