Home Forums General Discussion Can I take 200 mg of Minocin all at once?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    redrock
    Participant

Hi all, I’ve been on AP since the beginning of August. I take 100 mg twice a day, every other day. I have been working really hard to abide by the dietary restrictions 2 hours on either side of my Minocin dose. The morning dose is very easy, but the afternoon dose is very problematic for me and it seems that more and more I have gotten quite sloppy about not taking anything within that 4 hour window. So I was thinking that maybe I could just take two 100 mg pills at once first thing in the morning? I plan to ask my Dr. next month when I see him but I was wondering if anyone has any input on this?

Maz
    Keymaster

@redrock wrote:

So I was thinking that maybe I could just take two 100 mg pills at once first thing in the morning? I plan to ask my Dr. next month when I see him but I was wondering if anyone has any input on this?

Hi Redrock,

I’ve only heard of one person here who took their doxy (200mg) all in one dose and said it worked okay for him. I think the difference between mino and doxy is the possibility of dizziness and/or nausea that can come with higher doses of mino. Also, the goal of keeping serum levels relatively consistant when doing QOD (every other day) dosing and having the break day between. Also possible for any change in dose to elicit herxing.

You mentioned taking a morning and afternoon dose. Is there a reason why you are unable to take your second dose a couple hours after dinner in the evening?

Mino was actually developed for (hungry) teens with acne and, on the Triax website, it does say mino can be taken with food, if needed – however, this is for brand pelleted Minocin (not necessarily so for generics). It’s just that it’s better to avoid foods with a high mineral content, if poss, so the value of the tetra isn’t lost.

Let us know what your doc thinks, Redrock, and hope you can sort this out.

redrock
    Participant

Hi Maz, due to work sched, dinner is very late in the evening and thus would put the Mino too close to bedtime and possible burning of the esophogus, yikes! Plus I take so many other supplements and another med that it’s just hard to find a four hour window during the day that I can devote to the Mino alone. I wish there was a way to know exactly how much you lose by having other things within that 4 hr period. If its just a matter of say 10% reduction in effectiveness, I suppose I wouldn’t worry so much but if you lose like half of it, that would be cause for concern. I’ll let you know what the doctor says.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.