Home Forums General Discussion Caffeine and Scleroderma?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    JustDiagnosedChris
    Participant

I know that nicotine, being stimulant, can have negative effects with Scleroderma. What about caffeine?

richie
    Participant

Nicotine has a negative effect on any illness –I have never stopped drinking coffee and still drink a good amount –no problems –
    richie

lajc
    Participant

I stopped caffeine for a few months after I was diagnosed but decided that I just couldn’t give up my morning coffee. I still drink coffee and tea daily without any problems.

Laurie

RevereRosie
    Participant

I have one cup of coffee every morning and also three cups of green tea in the afternoons.

greypilgrim256
    Participant

Nicotine being stimulant is not why it is bad for Scleroderma. Nicotine and Caffeine are both vasoconstrictors and can exacerbate Raynauds and reduce blood flow to skin, fingers and toes, and organs. Caffeine can also make GERD/stomach issues worse. Just another reason to avoid it. I was a big coffee drinker, but quit coffee a year ago and while it was tough, feel much better. I will occasionally have a cup on the weekends, but definitely notice a difference in Raynauds when I drink it.

I’ve never smoked a cigarette in my life so I can’t comment on the nicotine personally, but it is known that Sclero patients should avoid nicotine and smoking all costs.

richie
    Participant

Hi –Slight correction –niacin is a known vasodilator –the opposite of constriction —DR T always mentioned trying to get niacin in the diet –the flushing effect from niacin is due to the vasodilation—
    richie

JustDiagnosedChris
    Participant

Thanks guys

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.