Home Forums General Discussion broken tooth

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Eva Holloway
    Participant

well here we go again with damage from the prednison. I broke a tooth, just bit into a peanut butter cup and there went the tooth. The dentist then told me that I have to get clyndamycin and take FOUR pills before I can get the tooth removed because it just broke into two pieces. Not only did I find out if you take medication to build up your bones like boniva, actonell or even Calcitonin you have to make sure you take an antibiotc an hour before the tooth removal. The dentist explained that I could get necrosis in the gum and it could lead to more problems.

What should I do about taking the Clindamycin? Should I not take the Minoxin on Monday when I have to take the 4 pills of clindy before having the tooth removed? The is no chance to save the tooth, per dentist.

Eva

Eva Holloway

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Eva – sorry to hear of your latest trouble with the tooth. As far as I am aware it is only the penicillin class of meds that are contrindicated with the tetracyclines. There is also a caution not to take clindamycin with erythromycin in the FAQ on http://www.rheuamtic.org but there seems to be nothing re clindy and mino. If in doubt can you call Dr K's office? Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Eva Holloway
    Participant

Thanks Lynnie,

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't too much meds all in one day. I have to watch how I eat and can only eat on my left side, have to watch how I bit into the food, so everything is soft LOL.

Eva:(:D

Eva Holloway

Eva Holloway
    Participant

went back several times for check-ups and finally the new set of teeth, looks good. So now I ended up with another tooth fixed and one pulled. Still taking clindy before the procedure and now I also have to take clindy for the next three weeks. Dentist said I had an infection in the tooth he pulled so he packed it and put three stitches there. Going back on Monday for a re-check and then the day after Christmas it is off to California to see the in-laws, daughter, son-in-law and grand babies. We are driving this time. After we come back I will get a bridge put in where I had that tooth pulled today. 😥
    Maz, thank you for the help about the medication.
    Eva 🙂

Eva Holloway

Eileen
    Participant

Ah Eva, sorry to hear about the tooth — another one. I’m on zithromax and mino. everyday. When I had my tooth extracted, I was also put on clindy. for 10 days 300 mgs. 3x a day. I had no problems at all, not one. I wish you good healing! Thinking about you.

Eileen

Patti D
    Participant

Eva,
    You and I are in the same boat. :mrgreen: My tooth had a root canal followed by a crown followed by a gum infection around the crown. I posted about the gum infection and got mixed results about taking the amoxicillin with the mino. Well I was done with the amoxicillin on Monday and survived the 10 days of both antibiotics without one herx, no gut issues. I got a little joint pain from the drop in temperature(-9 & snowy)but tolerated all of the antibiotics well. Just space them out. It took me a while to figure it out how to take all of those antibioics daily but I did..My dentist did say that the mino was the best thing for gum infections. They actually put mino right into the gum tissue so don’t stop the mino.
    They thought I may have cracked my tooth but low and behold it was just the gum around the crown irritated . So hopefully very soon you will be looking like this guy 😀
    Keep smiling 😆
    Patti

Patti D
    Participant

Oh ya Eva,
    I had 4 stitches. The last one came out last night 😀 I am going to try some crunchy food tonight. Knowing this group 😀 , your thinking veggies. I’m thinking chips 😆
    Patti

Eva Holloway
    Participant

Patti,
    I was surprised how little pain I had where he pulled that tooth. I took one tylenol about 5 pm and and at 11:30 pm and none since.
    I am taking the Mino and Clyndi but not the Biaxin. I took one clyndi this afternoon and it got stuck in my throat and bothered me for a long time. I am making sure the evening one is going down with lots of water. 🙁 :mrgreen:
    Eva 🙂

Eva Holloway

Maz
    Keymaster

Eva, really glad to hear your tooth extraction went so well and you’re not suffering any pain. Onwards and upwards, as they say! Have a great trip to CA and enjoy every min…I know you will! 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.