Home Forums General Discussion Azithromycin v. clarithromycin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    aboyer
    Participant

I want to add in one of these antibiotics. I know that they can cause heart problems so I’m wondering which is safer and has the least side effects.

Diagnosed with severe RA 12 years ago
    Tested positive for M. pneumoniae and C. pneumoniae

Current meds: Kineret 100mg, doxycycline 50mg, cbd oil, and celebrex

Supplements: fish oil, vitamin b12, folate, b6, iron, selenium, zinc, vitamin c, and biotin

Spiffy1

I was not aware of the heart problems due to Clarithromycin. But if all things are equal with the heart side effects I personally would go with the Zithromax because the other is well known for leading to C Diff. But they are both very good antibiotics.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

aboyer
    Participant

Hi Spiffy1

Have you taken zithromax for RA?

Supplements: fish oil, vitamin b12, folate, b6, iron, selenium, zinc, vitamin c, and biotin

richie
    Participant

personally -why would you add another antibiotic now –you are hardly taking a therapeutic dose of minocycline -150 mg a week is hardly a dose —I would concentrate on working up to 100 mg every other day gradually at least !!!! –Hopping all over the place is certainly not productive imo

aboyer
    Participant

Richie,

I can’t tolerate minocycline. I have heard that zithromax is another alternative.

richie
    Participant

How long on minocycline and what are the toleration issues —

aboyer
    Participant

Ive been on a few times. The most was several years ago and it was amazing for a few months until the head pressure and vision problems happened

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

aboyer
    Suzanne on this form has a young daughter with poly JRA. She was too young to take mino so she was on 250mg zithromax MWF – she may still be. If she sees this she may chime in, though hasn’t been on for a while. I believe she tolerated it very well and was on it for a few years.

I take both clarithromycin and zith – but in smaller doses as part of a 4 abx protocol MWF. My situation is different to yours (I have Palindromic RA/”Lyme-like” illness” (as they refer to it here) so cant really equate. But I have had no problems with either drug.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

PhilC
    Participant

Both of those drugs interact with Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine). See:

https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=300-0,1298-4616
    https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=685-0,1298-4616

However, I see that you are taking a low dose of Plaquenil, so perhaps it won’t be an issue.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Suzanne
    Participant

aboyer
    Suzanne on this form has a young daughter with poly JRA. She was too young to take mino so she was on 250mg zithromax MWF – she may still be. If she sees this she may chime in, though hasn’t been on for a while. I believe she tolerated it very well and was on it for a few years.

Hi Lynnie! Yes, this is correct – my daughter has been on this dose for years and remains on it with no issues. We added mino when she was old enough, but had to stop due to intercranial pressure, so I don’t know where we would be without azithromycin. aboyer, interesting you also had that side effect because they say it is so rare.

Phil, my daughter was on Plaquenil with azithromycin at one time. I wish I could see the interaction, but the link only says this: “Consumer information for this interaction is not currently available.” My daughter had a lot of skin issues during the time she was on both, but they stopped when she stopped Plaquenil so we blame that drug (also it never did anything for her that we could tell).

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

aboyer
    Participant

Suzanne

Has your daughter’s joint pain and swelling gone away?

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Suzanne,

I wish I could see the interaction, but the link only says this: “Consumer information for this interaction is not currently available.”

That simply means that the information they’re showing you is really meant for (oriented toward) doctors rather than patients. The interaction info is right below that statement.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Suzanne
    Participant

Suzanne

Has your daughter’s joint pain and swelling gone away?

It is hard to discern for another person, but we have never treated for pain while she has been on azithromycin except for injuries. Currently, she might have swelling in one toe but it is not bothersome and her rheum exam is stable for over a year. I would say she has more redness than swelling in that toe.

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

Suzanne
    Participant

That simply means that the information they’re showing you is really meant for (oriented toward) doctors rather than patients. The interaction info is right below that statement.

Phil

Hi Phil, that makes sense except the info below is only about Plaquenil.

Spiffy1

I have only used doxycycline and minocyclene for my rheumatic flare. I used Zithromax in the past for sinus infections. I did well on it but it would alter my sense of taste while taking it…especially to dairy which I do not eat or drink anymore…and I no longer have sinus issues.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.