Home Forums General Discussion azithromycin side effects

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    eagle26
    Participant

Need some advices from blog members esp using azithromycin . I ve been using azithromycin for reactive arthritis 3*250 mg in a week. It has been two weeks now . I started on a low dose regime for minimizing the side effects then to to move on 500*2 in a week. I have got mild pain in knees on the contrary my prostatitis issue is dominant with frequency and burning in urination. Now I did not see any positive effect of azithro on prostatitis issues but litle effect to my pain in knees.
    I feel some of the side effects of it like feeling weak, racing heart and chest pain. This makes me frightened. I have a history of panic attacks and aryhtmias and for them using a beta blocker and antidepressant too. Even small doses of nsaids accelarates my heart too.
    I have got alergic issues with doxy and sulfa drugs. Should I keep trying till the side effects subside ( body get used to it) or Should I give up azithro?

Reactive Arthritis+ tachycardia+ prostatitis. 2015 till now. Just a short remission 4 months.
    NAC, vit e, krill oil, vit b 1000 mcg daily, vit d 2000 iu daily and quercetin 500 mg twice a day.

eagle26
    Participant

my story

For those who are not familiar with my story I shared the link of my first post. I am not very active in forum and do not know how to use it wisely. Sorry if I am doing something wrong.

Reactive Arthritis+ tachycardia+ prostatitis. 2015 till now. Just a short remission 4 months.
    NAC, vit e, krill oil, vit b 1000 mcg daily, vit d 2000 iu daily and quercetin 500 mg twice a day.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

Unfortunately, I suspect that azithromycin isn’t going to work for you — the fact that it is not helping your prostatitis is a strong clue. Have you ever tried trimethoprim?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

eagle26
    Participant

Hi Phil,
    Thanks for the comment I suspect it either. May be it is not the right dosage for me or the right drug for me. However things did greatly improved once I was using clarihtromycin for a throat infection. These are the drugs in the same family right ??? It was also good for burning in urination urinary frequency at that time.
    Another drug I feel is good for me for prostatitis and urethritis symptoms is the mix of pridium and amoxicllin called azosilin.
    Trimetophrim are sold here with sulfa abx and I got allergy to sulfa abx too. It is sold with the name of bactrim.
    I may think of taking it for a little while then to stop if it will not work …
    I am thankful that I do not have a strong pain any swelling but my prostatitis makes me crazy. I manage to live somehow
    Also may be you know that I could not find a doc for ap treatment. My urologist prescribe the drugs and do the tests as long as I want.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

However things did greatly improved once I was using clarihtromycin for a throat infection. These are the drugs in the same family right ???

Yes, they are both macrolide antibiotics. Is there a reason you are taking azithromycin and not clarithromycin?

Another drug I feel is good for me for prostatitis and urethritis symptoms is the mix of pridium and amoxicllin called azosilin.

That’s useful information.

I found that drug here:
    http://abispharma.com/AZOSILIN-TABLETS.html

According to that web page, the antibiotic is ampicillin and not amoxicillin. Since that drug helped, why aren’t you using it?

Trimetophrim are sold here with sulfa abx and I got allergy to sulfa abx too. It is sold with the name of bactrim.

Are you certain that trimethoprim is not available by itself in Turkey? If that’s true, then perhaps you could have your prescription filled by a pharmacy in another country.

Is sultamicillin (Ampictam) available in Turkey?

Phil

- Albert Einstein

eagle26
    Participant

It has got drug interactions with the beta blocker and ssri I use. and I am told by an ap doc here it is not sutiable for the long term therapy so I chose azithro. However it has got cardio side effects.
    Sorry it is ampicillin. You are right.
    I am sure trimetoprim here it is not available alone. Also here they prohibit erytromycin.
    I will try a bit more only two more weeks then I think of alternatives. Like giving up antideprresant and to move on clarithto . or else azosilin for one month low dose.
    The thing is may be I am too delicate I have always had problems with antibitoics and nsaids. I found hydroxine and aspirin for frequency issues till now. Not a full relief for prostate issues for two years.
    Thanks Phil you help me a lot …

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

You could try roxithromycin. I don’t know if you remember it, but I suggested it to you in the past.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

eagle26
    Participant

You could try roxithromycin. I don’t know if you remember it, but I suggested it to you in the past.

Thanks Phil I will keep in mind as an option.

Can I use azosilin for alonger time ??? It says 3 times a day only for 3 days ??? I do not know if this drug is suitable for long term use …
    If I stop ssri I will try clarithromisin for one month…
    How would I know which abx works ? I mean I do not have too much pain knees . However prostatitis and urethritis is dominant …

PhilC
    Participant

Can I use azosilin for alonger time ??? It says 3 times a day only for 3 days ??? I do not know if this drug is suitable for long term use …

I just checked, and you’re right, it’s not to be used for more than a few days. Can you get Ampictam (sultamicillin)? It’s a similar antibiotic, and I have reason to believe that it may be superior to Azosilin for treating prostatitis.

If I stop ssri I will try clarithromisin for one month…

If you tried roxithromycin, stopping your SSRI would (probably) not be necessary. I investigated this question not long ago, and what I found is that roxithromycin has a much weaker effect on liver enzymes compared to clarithromycin and erythromycin, so it is similar to azithromycin in that regard. However, to be honest, since azithromycin is not really helping you, I am not very optimistic about the prospects for clarithromycin and roxithromycin.

How would I know which abx works ? I mean I do not have too much pain knees . However prostatitis and urethritis is dominant

Your prostatitis should be your main focus since it is a very difficult infection to treat. As for which antibiotic will work, only trial and error will tell you that — you try the antibiotics that are most likely to work and hope that one (or more) of them helps.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

eagle26
    Participant

Thanks Phil.
    Clartihromycin really helped me once .
    I tried every possible abx I think some of them I got allergy some of them not working…
    I have hope but it is diminsihing day by day.
    What about anti fungals???
    Or do you know any natural abx that helps prostatitis?

PhilC
    Participant

I tried every possible abx

That’s unlikely since there are hundreds of antibiotics. Many antibiotics don’t work because they don’t meet the requirements.

These are the requirements:
    1. Good ability to penetrate into the prostate.
    2. Effective against the causative agent(s) (i.e., the bacteria must be sensitive to the antibiotic)
    3. Able to kill bacteria hiding in biofilm (Optional, but highly desirable.)

Many antibiotics are ineffective because they only meet one or two of those requirements. Some don’t meet any of them.

What about anti fungals???

They’re unlikely to be helpful, unless you had a positive result for fungus from semen culture or semen PCR testing.

Show this article to your doctor:

Long-Term Fosfomycin-Tromethamine Oral Therapy for Difficult-To-Treat Chronic Bacterial Prostatitis
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4776017/

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.