Home Forums General Discussion Anyone dealing with cold sores/fever blisters?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    bonnielou
    Keymaster

I used to have these now and then, but I don't think I have had one since starting AP 2 1/2 years ago. Sunday night I broke out in the largest one I have ever had. (These are very unattractive, and uncomfortable — but not life threatening — I know that.) I know they can be induced by stress, and this weekend was very stressful for me.

Anyhow, my husband gave me a zovirax cream to use (acyclovir). Anyone familiar with any more natural solutions? Any reason not to use the zovirax, an antiviral, while also using an antiobiotic? Any thoughts or experience appreciated. Thanks.

Bonnie

Bonnie Lou
    RA 02/07,AP 10/07
    Minocycline 200mg MWF; Plaquenil 100mg 3 days/week
    Fish Oil, Ubiquinol, Turmeric, Vit C (2 grams) , MultiVit, Magnesium, Astaxanthin, D3 (5000), probiotics and a daily dose of yoga!

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=61]bonnielou[/user] wrote:

Anyhow, my husband gave me a zovirax cream to use (acyclovir). Anyone familiar with any more natural solutions? Any reason not to use the zovirax, an antiviral, while also using an antiobiotic? Any thoughts or experience appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Bonnie,

I was just speaking with another forum member yesterday and she mentioned she was using Monolaurin (brand name Lauricidin). Here is the page that describes the viruses that it purportedly inactivates:

http://www.lauricidin.com/micro.asp

The forum user who passed this info to me said she found it best to start low and slow and not to begin right on 2 scoops, but a few pellets, and that she gradually increased.

I've personally used Olive Leaf extract, which also has some anti-viral, antibacterial and anti-candida props, but important to keep this away from antibiotics, I understand.

I'm afraid I don't know of any interactions with pharmacueticals, but you could call the makers of Lauricidin (at the link above) and ask them or perhaps your hubby can check it out for you.

Hope you find something that works!

Peace, Maz

richie
    Participant

Hi–Look into Abreva —cutting edge stuff and its OTC —

richie

Mumof3
    Participant

I probably get a cold sore one every two years. I had one a few months ago and my aunt recommended Abreva as she gets cold sores on a regular basis. I tried Abreva and it was pretty effective.

Trudi
    Participant

[user=61]bonnielou[/user] wrote:

Anyone familiar with any more natural solutions?

Tea bags work very well–

http://herbs.lovetoknow.com/Tea_Bag_Remedy_for_Cold_Sores

http://www.coldsoretreatmentguide.com/cold-sore-remedies/home-remedies-for-cold-sores-tea-bags.html

Take care,

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

TischSEB
    Participant

Hi Bonnie,

I used to get cold sores very frequently, especially when my schedule got out of control with working, going to school at night, commuting – basically constant stress and no sleep. The worst one I ever got was after coming back from a very stressful trip where I had spent about 10 days outdoors (sunshine also brings them on).

I tried all of the available over the counter topical treatments – the ones that cost $18 for a very small tube! These did not give me any relief in terms of cutting the episode short or reducing irritation

Coincidentally, I came across information about using Lysine supplements for cold sores while researching muscle weakness. Since a bottle of Lysine was cheaper than a tiny little tube, I gave it a try. Taking Lysine by far has been the most effective treatment for me – I actually take it daily to prevent an attack, and if one does happen, I up the dose and it DEFINITELY cuts it short.

There is a lot of info on the internet -here are a few links. Incredibly, tho I have gotten these since childhood, I only ran into this remedy last year.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/640102

http://www.smartbodyz.com/cold-sores-lysine-1.htm

Also – before I came across this info, I discovered that calamine lotion gave the best pain relief. Of course, I could not leave the house with this on – but it was good for overnight.

Hope this helps!

Tisch

Kash
    Participant

I had my lips blister a couple of weeks ago.  When the dryness started I put Vitamin E oil right onto my lips.  Healed them faster and was comforting.

Parisa
    Participant

Try Manuka honey.  I swear it helped cure my husband's shingles and my daughter's mono.  It'll taste good too!  Make sure you get an active form.

bonnielou
    Keymaster

Wow — thanks for all the tips. I have used the Abreva in the past, and it has been mildly helpful — but did not make a substantial difference.

Teabags, lysine, and manuka honey all sound promising. I called the pharmacist and she said the antiviral cream should be safe with the antibiotic — but I like the idea of looking at the more natural options. I appreciate your sharing your experiences.

Bonnie

Bonnie Lou
    RA 02/07,AP 10/07
    Minocycline 200mg MWF; Plaquenil 100mg 3 days/week
    Fish Oil, Ubiquinol, Turmeric, Vit C (2 grams) , MultiVit, Magnesium, Astaxanthin, D3 (5000), probiotics and a daily dose of yoga!

mj47
    Participant

Hi Bonnielou,

I'm glad Tisch suggested lysine as that was what I thought immediately.
    I only know about it because of my cat believe it or not.  He has a viral infection that affects his eye & I treat it with crushed up lysine in his food.  While reading about this for him, I saw that people take lysine for cold sores with great success.  It's definitely worth trying.  When my cat has a flare, one dose clears him up.

Good luck to you!!
    ~mj

MaryP
    Participant

I take Lysine asap.  Those giant honking cold sores make me feel SO pretty. 🙂  Good luck, Bonnie!!!

Margaret Mueller
    Participant

I've had cold sores since I was six. The week I turned 18, I got an attack so bad that my lower lip was six times it's normal size and hung to my chin. What a way to spend your birthday — and the next six weeks of summer as it healed. I could only eat through a straw for four weeks.

I tried lysine, tea bags, and all kinds of other stuff. It was my dentist who gave me a prescription for Valtrex, an antiviral. Told me to take 2/250 mg tablets when I felt them coming on and again in twelve hours. After the first couple of times, I didn't have an out break for a year — now it's every two or three years. It seems to be weakening the virus in my system. Maybe like ap for sd?

After that birthday year, I decided if I ever found anything that worked, I'd take it. The Valtrex works.

m.
    Participant

We've had pretty good success with one 500 mg Niacinamide capsule per day as a preventative. Up to four capsules per day for a breakout.

I'm looking into taking BHT now.

MMW
    Participant

I concur with the amino acid lysine.  Lysine fights viruses and is especially recommended for cold sores.  My daughter uses it whenever she gets one.   I never have gotten a cold sore, but I use lysine whenever I feel like I am fighting something other than a bacteria.

A diet high in the amino acid arginine can provoke the herpes virus.  Cold Sores come under this category.  Lysine along with a low arginine diet has been shown to put the virus in remission.  Arginine and lysine compete for transport through the intestinal wall.  Arginine is required for a virus to replicate.  If there is not enough arginine,  but excess lysine is available, the virus will let the lysine into its cells.  the lysine then kills the virus.

As a side note:   Lysine helps the body make carnitine (another amino acid that is very important for energy).  Carnitine in turn help metabolize the all important fatty acids that are good for us.  This then inceases our energy level.

low lysine=low carnitine=low ftty acid metabolism=high triglycerides and body fat.

The above info was taken from the book  “Amino Acids in Therapy” by Leon Chaitow
    This is a very good book for learning more about amino acids and how to use them therapeutically.  I have used amino acids therapeutically for a couple of years now and have found them often more helpful then vitamin supplementation.  

Marianne

spacehoppa
    Participant

I get the ugliest cold sores on my nose every six months or so.

My husband has psoriasis and uses bentonite clay on it, so there's always some in the house.

I smear a bit on to the cold sore as soon as I feel it coming on and it stops it from becoming a nasty ugly thing that takes weeks to heal.

It doesn't make it go away completely – that usually takes a few more days – maybe it would if I put it on sooner or more frequently? I usually only bother to put it on once or twice and that stops it in its tracks. Good stuff, totally safe and cheap too. No idea why it works!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘ Anyone dealing with cold sores/fever blisters?’ is closed to new replies.