Home Forums General Discussion Any opinions on Lamisil?

• This topic has 9 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 16 years ago by GJH.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    JenTX
    Participant

Hi all,

I was just prescribed Lamisil for 2 months by my dermatologist for a nasty toenail.  I'm doing the bloodwork, etc. for it.  I haven't heard much about Lamisil on this board, only Diflucan.  In your opinion, is one better than the other? 

Thanks again,

Jennifer

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Jenn,if you are talking about the topical Lamisil that you rub into the toe nail….it did not work at all for me.It took  months on Diflucan to do any good.  Lynne G./SD

JenTX
    Participant

Ooh, forgot there was a topical Lamisil.  No, I'm taking the oral.

Jennifer

Suzanne
    Participant

You can read all about it and toenail fungus on http://www.peoplespharmacy.com.  They recommend Vick's!

Hubby took Lamisil, had to have labs, etc., it finally went away, then came back on every toe on that foot when he stopped.

My mom rubbed Vick's on her toenail each night and as the nail grew out, no more formed.  It took as long as it takes for the nail to grow out for it to be completely gone.  If she thinks it is coming back, she rubs a little Vick's on the nail.  It has never come back, like hubby's has. 

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

JenTX
    Participant

I may have to try the Vick's.  Who knew???!  Thanks for the info.

Jennifer

Suzanne
    Participant

I like this article:

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/archives/editorial/nail_fungus_remedies_kick_up_controversy.asp

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

marg
    Participant

My husband took Lamisil for about 3 months. It was kind of scary because of all the side-effects. We are older and don't like to stress organs like the liver. It did work and his toenails cleared up. However, a year or so later the fungus is back. He doesn't want to take Lamisil again. He has a real sweet tooth and I don't think this helps.

In the meantime , I developed a mild case on one toenail and used Vicks. The first thing to happen was that the nail began to peel off, bit by bit. When it was all off, there was a lovely pink nail bed. I am still using the Vicks as the nail grows in. I think my husband will try this too.

JenTX
    Participant

I'm heading out to buy some Vicks right now.  Thanks you guys, you are a wonderful support!

Jennifer

JenTX
    Participant

[user=18]Suzanne[/user] wrote:

I like this article:

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/archives/editorial/nail_fungus_remedies_kick_up_controversy.asp

I guess that doc doesn't know many AP'ers, who have patience just like the guy who put vinegar on his toes for 9 months!

Jennifer

GJH
    Participant

My husband had a problem with his toe nails a few years ago. After doing a course of Lamisil, the podiatrist suggested to use tea tree oil. It was very effective in his case. You may want to try it.

Best, GJH

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘ Any opinions on Lamisil?’ is closed to new replies.