Home Forums General Discussion Any comfortable shoes?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    niteowl
    Participant

My feet are getting more touchy and I was wondering if anyone can reccomend some comfortable shoes for cold weather?

Diagnosed with RA in 2012
    Fifth Disease in '03
    Lyme? in 2000?
    Had radioactive ablation of hyperactive thyroid in 1997
    autoimmune thrombocytopenia resolved
    Anemia resolved with treatment of RA with Minocycline
    Blood type: B neg

Meds:
    Minocycline 50mg once a week
    Levothyroxine .88mg
    Liothyronine 5mg
    Methotrexate 20 mg once a week

Folic acid
    B12
    B6
    Vit D
    Biotin
    Biosil
    Cbd balm
    Flexaril as needed
    Aspirin
    Benedryl
    Ventolin inhaler
    Lactibiane probiotic

mary77
    Participant

My feet have had surgeries…so I relate to your wanting comfortable shoes! My choices are Merrell, Ryka and Bare Traps. Have winter boots in Merrill and Bare Traps that feel great on my feet. Hope this helps!
    Mary

bonnielou
    Keymaster

For years I have been reading this blog by a woman with RA and very sore feet:

http://www.barkingdogshoes.com

She has lots of recommendations for shoes for problem feet. Hope it is helpful

Bonnie

Bonnie Lou
    RA 02/07,AP 10/07
    Minocycline 200mg MWF; Plaquenil 100mg 3 days/week
    Fish Oil, Ubiquinol, Turmeric, Vit C (2 grams) , MultiVit, Magnesium, Astaxanthin, D3 (5000), probiotics and a daily dose of yoga!

jaminhealth
    Participant

I would like a new pair of comfortable shoes, my feet have worsened in the last few years, OA issues, stiffness mostly.

I heard good reports about Sketchers (sp)….now I need to get our local store and check them out.

I’ve always LOVED Clarks, but since they now mfg in china, the quality has gone downhill….price still way up there…grrrrrrr

niteowl
    Participant

Thanks for the info! I love Merrell’s but I can’t get them with fluff in a wider width 🙁 The Barking dog has some interesting shoes, too!

Fifth Disease in '03
    Lyme? in 2000?

Meds:
    Levothyroxine .88mg
    Liothyronine 5mg

Folic acid
    B12
    B6
    Vit D
    Biotin
    Biosil
    Cbd balm
    Flexaril as needed
    Aspirin
    Benedryl
    Ventolin inhaler
    Lactibiane probiotic

enzed
    Participant

@niteowl wrote:

My feet are getting more touchy and I was wondering if anyone can reccomend some comfortable shoes for cold weather?

I haven’t worn ‘normal’ shoes for years because of tender/touchy feet and my feet got very cold in the winter. I ended up buying some Canadian ‘snow’ boots, (on line) made of very soft suede leather and lined with real fur, very, very soft. Because of the arthritis in my spine I can’t walk in shoes that ‘pitch’ me forward but I found what they call ‘negative heel technology’ on the internet. It means the heel is lower than the toes and that made me stand up straight. I wore those boots for 5 winters before they wore out, and it was a sad day when I finally had to throw them out. They didn’t look very feminine, but I wore smart jeans with them and then they looked great. I suggest you search on line for very soft boots, suede is very soft. In the summer I wear men’s sandals, made the same way, with the heel height level with the toes or lower. Not very dainty but lovely to walk in. My sandals also have memory foam lining to soften the impact. Another trick it to buy memory foam inserts – I bought my boots a bit bigger than my usual size, cut memory inserts to fit for extra softness, and then they fitted perfectly. Memory foam is a dream to walk on. My Canadian boots were expensive but they were the only footwear I had and they lasted 5 winters so worked out quite economically.

richie
    Participant

Hi–First step is socks –in winter I still use Wig Wam 40 below wool socks —they are great and can keep taking a washing –when my feet were real bad extra depth shoes by P w Minor and orthotics in them made my feet feel just fine !!!
    richie

DianaW13
    Participant

I have found Fit Flops very comfortable. They are not cheap, but well worth the $. Besides summer type shoes, they also make a clog, slippers, and boots. Both my chiropractor and physiotherapist have commented on the quality and design of them when I wore them.
    I had bad feet and knees all summer and they actually felt normal while I had these on!

Diana

Hi night owl, I have quite a lot of problems with my feet, dropped metatarsels, bunions, chipped bones to name a few. I have spent a lot of money on different brands. The brands i find most comfortable are – NAOT- KUMPHS- FITFLOPS and would you believe CROCS . I have furlined CROC slippers – furlined Plain for winter – i find they must be the CROC brand though , not the cheap imitation. They have quite a big range- I live in AUSTRALIA . I am sure you would have a big range where you live being a colder climate. good Luck . Cheers Di.

Anonymous
    Participant

I find crocs work for me

enzed
    Participant

@dianne-sunshinecoast wrote:

Hi night owl, I have quite a lot of problems with my feet, dropped metatarsels, bunions, chipped bones to name a few. I have spent a lot of money on different brands. The brands i find most comfortable are – NAOT- KUMPHS- FITFLOPS and would you believe CROCS . I have furlined CROC slippers – furlined Plain for winter – i find they must be the CROC brand though , not the cheap imitation. They have quite a big range- I live in AUSTRALIA . I am sure you would have a big range where you live being a colder climate. good Luck . Cheers Di.

I’ll check out the fur lined Crocs. I should be able to find them online.

glynn102
    Participant

Hoka One One
    They are tough to find, but I run40-50 miles a week in them. It is like having pillows under your feet and they are really light despite how they look.

niteowl
    Participant

Thanks Glynn. I will have to try them. I have had to go up 2-3 sizes just to accomodate my ‘new’ feet. FYI; I did find UGGs to be comfy for cold weather. I’m hoping that by this spring I will be able to do planks for my mat workouts again and I’ll probably have to get a bigger size in my indoor workout shoes, too.

Fifth Disease in '03
    Lyme? in 2000?

Meds:
    Levothyroxine .88mg
    Liothyronine 5mg

Folic acid
    B12
    B6
    Vit D
    Biotin
    Biosil
    Cbd balm
    Flexaril as needed
    Aspirin
    Benedryl
    Ventolin inhaler
    Lactibiane probiotic

Anonymous
    Participant

Hi, everyone!
    This is my first post on this site. I’ve had psoriatic arthritis for the past year, although I think it had been percolating for a long time. I’ve had Raynaud’s on my hands and feet since I was 15 (now 53). When I moved from L.A. to the Seattle area 22 years ago, keeping my feet warm became more of a challenge, and I started getting ulcers on my toes. Ten years ago I found the PERFECT shoes for Raynaud’s! Try Haflinger wool clogs. Dodd’s Shoes in Wyoming (online) has a huge selection. Don’t worry if you are sensitive to wool (as I am). The boiled wool is easy on the skin. I can wear comfy cotton socks with my Haflingers, and have toasty toes even in freezing weather. The secret, I think, is that the clogs have a big toe box so your toes can move and blood can circulate. Although I’ve tried the Haflingers with a composite sole, I would recommend the classic style with the cork sole (I’m not sure why, they just seem to be warmer and more comfy). As an added bonus, they are extremely comfortable, good for walking (I walk around downtown Seattle often–very hilly), and super-cute. They may look clunky online, but they actually make your feet look smaller. Price–varies with style–$100-130–not sure exactly.
    Hope this helps!
    Shelby 🙂

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I like Easy Spirit brand. They are very comfortable IMO.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.