Home Forums General Discussion An Ahha moment! Msm and abx therapy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Grace
    Participant

I recently posted about high liver enzymes. My daughters alt and ast numbers were crazy high during a routine lab in December. Dr told her to quit everything to see what happened. 4 weeks later her numbers are normal! Great – but why? We forgot that she started taking msm in late September. And about the same time her dr increased her mino to 150mg once/day. Now we don’t know for sure but… She felt great by December – great! After much research, we have found articles that say you should stop msm 4 days before labs because it increases liver enzymes. Hmmm. Msm is also known as a very good detox agent because it makes cells permeable – meaning toxins can flow out of the cells more easily. And one article mentioned that you may need less supplements because they can move into cells now more easily. Now I may be making a big assumption here but, if it makes suppl. More potent, can the same be said for the abxs? Can the high enzyme #’s be caused by meds working too well and toxins being expelled too quickly for the liver to handle it all at once. So odd that her symptoms disappeared with this combo. We thought we found the holy grail 😀 Unfortunately, the labs don’t lie – he ran them twice – so we’re wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?
    Thanks for any help!
    Be well!

Valsmum
    Participant

That is wonderful , I hope she continues to do well!!

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Grace,
    @Grace wrote:

After much research, we have found articles that say you should stop msm 4 days before labs because it increases liver enzymes.

How much MSM was your daughter taking?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Grace
    Participant

Hi Phil,
    She was taking 1000mg tablets once a day. And after about a month of this, with her abx, symptoms completely disappeared! But then the high labs came back and she had to quit everything. Sigh. Just started back on just mino 100 mg /day and swelling and pain returned 🙁 another sigh

Trudi
    Participant

Hi Grace–
    I am currently reading the book “The Miracle of MSM” by Dr. Stanley Jacob. I just came across this paragraph (page 46) and thought it might be of interest to you:
    “MSM and blood tests: We have done numerous blood chemistry workups on patients and found that MSM does not cause any abnormal readings–with one exception. If you are scheduled to have liver function testing and are taking MSM, you should stop the supplement for about four days before the test. MSM has never been found to cause liver damage but it may interfere with the accuracy of the test for liver enzymes by sometimes producing false positives. Elevated enzymes are an indication of a liver disorder. You can resume the supplement after your liver test.”

Take care,
    Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.