Home Forums General Discussion Alcohol reduces the severity of RA

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Michele
    Participant

frhorngal,

Thanks for the recommendations! I can't wait to show this ti my DH!

TGIF!

Michele

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

[user=2031]nord[/user] wrote:

Close enough, thank you! I'm from Scandinavia, but it's enroute Chamonix (-Mt Blanc, France) and Zermatt in the (Swiss) Wallis Alps close to the Italian border. The picture is a form of goal-setting :), and old. The road back will be long; I just got a call from the German Lyme doctor, and I'm Lyme and Cpn pos. Although geograpically, the doc's office is just a couple of hours' drive away  from the Swiss alps. 🙂

When I was younger and did alot of skiing, I really wanted to go to Chamonix  to ski but it didn't happen.  A friend did recently get to Zermatt and had  a wonderful time.  I find nature very healing and upliftng.   I always have.

Best wishes for the AP treatment.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Not fun with the (extra) day-after effects, red wine could be good otherwise, as it contains a bit antioxidants, acting against inflammation.

My AP doc told me way back to stay off red wine because of the sulfur-dioxide preservative as well as the acid. Of course anything fermented is not particularly good for the body anyway. You can get good anti-oxidants from other things. 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

nord
    Participant

Hello Jan,

thank you for the good wishes! Sorry to see that your knee is in so bad shape. :crying: Chamonix is fascinating, even if not a smoothly working as a skiing area (the different systems are not connected, and the most desirable off-piste/backcountry part has its own tickets). Zermatt, I need to get to know a little better, but is better organized (and connected to Cervinia on the Italian side, if I reacall correctly), but that's only highlighting the difference between the French and the Swiss, both with their own charm. I stopped skiing because of fatigue and knee discomfort, but that was probably false alarm, as the knee got better (probably saved by not having the HLA-B27).

I agree wholeheartedly with the healing powers of nature (especially when one can just relax), when on skiing journeys I used to have a sense of a much more solid physiology (e g a few very early graying hairs returned to their natural coulour at the root, etc). Similar when on sailing journeys, and hiking.

Lynnie, I agree that alcohol is not a good idea when on abx, especially for longer periods. The liver doesn't need the extra load, so the discussion here as rather hypothetic (but I don't know if the abx and alcohol competes in the liver processes?). Alcohols also limits the effect of some abx, and is strongly adviced against in Lyme treatment.

Are fermented products to be avoided because they still contain spores or live fungi? A reasonable precaution for a sensitive gut and while on abx, I guess. I will have to learn a lot about this, as I've never had any problems (and done well on more bread than is recommended here I suspect), and not been on abx for many years.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Are fermented products to be avoided because they still contain spores or live fungi?

Nord – think it's more about the yeast and the sugars. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermentation_(food). Red wine also contains histamines and all wine is very high in salicylates (from the grapes): http://www.zipworld.com.au/~ataraxy/Salicylates_list.html

BTW, I think I saw you mention you had the classic CPn test response from N-AC. Was that the sinusitis mentioned by Dr W in his protocol? http://www.davidwheldon.co.uk/NAC.html If yes, how much did you take daily and what was your reaction? Also, are you still taking it and, if yes, how much daily? Thanks, Nord. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

nord
    Participant

Lynnie, yes that's the NAC test. There is a lot of discussion and experiences on the cpnhelp.org forum. There, one can read about reactions that wary in location and strength from nothing to a considerable flu-like experience. That's why it is generally suggested to start with just 600mgand ramp up to 2,400mg/day (what I did). I am now on 1,200mg per day, and plan to increase it to about 2,400 (will probably take powder).

NAC caused a runny nose, headache, and other aches at the 1,800-2,400mg/day level if I recall correctly. Did stop for over a week during my recent trip to Germany (the , speculation being that it could mean more circulating Cpn antibodies). After resuming, I also had more symptoms (bladder discomfort; perhaps I was not aware of this the first time, as then I was starting Silymarin which seems to conter the urogenital symptoms to large degree, and I take it continously now, seeing changes better). Will see how it develops over the next week.

Yeast is a form of fungi, and they “eat” sugars they get in touch with (unless the alcohol concentration gets high enough to kill the yeast first), so fermented foods contain less sugar/simple carbohydrates than same thing before the fermentation.  I believe industrially made wine has had most residues of yeast/fungi removed by filtration and the sulphur dioxide killing any left (that's part of the reason for it). Homemade wine is a different story, though (people bottling the wine too early having explosions in the cellar…:shock: :)). One should be able to test wine by adding a little sugar and see what's happening (under explosion-safe conditions):).  However, the other reservations are very valid, so any alcohol is a less good idea for APers and CAPers, in my view.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

and the sulphur dioxide killing any left

it's actually the sulphur dioxide that my doc is most concerned about in my case. Not allowed any sulphites (including sulfa drugs). Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘ Alcohol reduces the severity of RA’ is closed to new replies.